Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Surprise Medical Bills

3,089 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JJMt
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So while unconscious and without permission, a tissue sample was sent off for complex DNA testing to a company that was out of network. The explanation of benefits that I got just now six weeks later coded it as both NOT IN NETWORK and NOT MEDICALLY NECESSARY so I expect the out of network company to send a bill directly to me. Oh, it's just a charge I never expected as the hospital and my surgeon were in network - but it's just a tiny bill for $9,000.

What would you rich old Ags do?
FrioAg 00
AG
Clarify with the insurance co if this is truly "out of network" or an unauthorized service - because not all unauthorized services come to you if the hospital fails to follow their authorization procedures with a contracted plan.

Next question I would ask is whether this hospital has a policy of credit reporting. If they don't then stop the process here.

If they do then immediately file a grievance through their ombudsman office. If that doesn't work get the names of their leaders and start emailing directly, professionally and angry at hoe this happened. Let them see you will be persistent.

I would bet you can get this written off pretty fast, especially if you can back up the facts your laid out here.

Dr T and the Women
AG
I suspect this lab has a no collection agency policy.

The eob is scary but not a bill. See if you get one. Then call and say you can't afford it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Long Live Sully
AG
Be grateful you don't have one of the faith based plans. It could be even worse. Not sure how though.
jenn96
AG
That happened to me when I had an emergency c-section and it turned out that the anesthesiologist was out of network. I got an EOB that informed me that I was on the hook for the full $4200, on top of everything I'd already paid. I freaked out but when I called BXBS to ask what my options were they said to chill out and see if I even got a bill from the doctor. Sure enough I was never billed for that service. I imagine that when the doctor's office realized it was inadvertent and I'd fight it they just let it go or re-negotiated with insurance.
jagged
AG
You can probably file an appeal with insurance to cover it as in network.

If denied you may file an appeal to Texas department of insurance (assuming you are in Texas). Then the insurer and provider will generally work out an offer.

Happened to me with anesthesiologist similar to the post above. Very annoying to have to do the paperwork/legwork but eventually it got handled. You might talk to the lab itself to see if they have advice to get it processed.
Duncan Idaho
Since I dont plan on buying another house or taking out an auto loan in the next 7 years, I'd tell them to **** off of the insurance company wont cover it.
OasisMan
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

... for complex DNA testing
IMO you should not be responsible for genetic testing that you did not consent to
The Wonderer
AG
Dr T and the Women said:

I suspect this lab has a no collection agency policy.

The eob is scary but not a bill. See if you get one. Then call and say you can't afford it.
This at this time. The lab is mostly going to appeal to try to pull InsCo money. Also, check your insurance policy to see what it says regarding balance billing. InsCos have started telling non-participating providers that they cannot bill their insureds even though the provider is out-of-network. BCBS is a real pain in the ass about that in particular in my exprience.
videoag98
AG
Not sure but I don't think Texas Dept of Insurance will mediate on your behalf if your part of a group plan thru your employer. (not sure if that's your case)
We got a surprise bill around 8 months after my wife's surgery.

Me checking the mail, lets see...there is a flyer for KFC, a car dealership, some pizza coupons, oh what's this? Oh just an unexpected bill for $33,872 from Dr. Rabajabbadingdong surgical assistant we knew nothing about. Called BCBS, they're like. Haha Sorry dog, your SOL, LOLZ, This D outtta network.
Called TDI, they are like, Nope your on a group plan. We don't serve your kind here, Try AG Paxton.
Ended up using a service my company offers as a benefit. They negotiate for you for crap like this.
Was able to drop the $33,872 down to $1500. Somewhat satisfied, but Still pissed off about it.
benlbates
AG
As others have said, fight this stuff. The balancing billing is becoming a huge issue and consumers have to push back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.