Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Thoughts On Providing A Potential New Employer A First 90 Day Plan

1,830 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by $30,000 Millionaire
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have not done this but a co worker (well not any longer) just mentioned to me that he wrote a 90 day action plan as part of his interview process that he gave to his future boss before the last interview.

Has anybody done this or interviewed someone that has? I saw his plan and I would say it is a nice idea. It has things you would expect like get to know my subordinates, my managers, our customers, etc.

Thoughts on the concept?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Depends on the company culture, might be seen as a kiss ass. It'd be better in IMO to say you have one and to be able to speak to it loosely rather than providing anything written
Engine10
AG
Giving it to them seems a bit much. Preparing yourself to articulate it as part of the interview seems worthy though - especially if you luck into a "what would you bring to the team" or "what kind of impact do you want to make" section.
Kool
AG
I am no expert here, but I would completely agree with the above two posts. Consider, also, that some things on your plan might be antithetical to their corporate plans, culture, etc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
Sounds like something an internal candidate might do. I'd tell an external candidate that the role of messiah is already taken.
FarmerJohn
AG
Ok if being recruited, but as a manager, it's kind of my job to come up with the 90 day plan. I'll do my job, you do yours.
ATM9000
AG
I don't hate it if you are going into a management role internal or external. Your job above any other is to gain credibility in that instance. Shows you have given how to do that some thought.
Petrino1
Im going to file this under "trying too hard". I wouldn't do it.
Old Tom Morris
Seems strange and gimmicky. Someone handing me a plan that they put together cold before they've had the chance to understand the role, the team, the need, etc. doesn't seem well thought out.
Gringo Viejo
I agree with the posters above. I've interviewed candidates for manager positions where they provided a written 90 plan. My only comment was something along the lines of "Thanks nice." I was actually thinking that it was pretty presumptuous. They didn't get the job.

In my experience, it looks like they are trying to fill air time in the interview. I think time in the interview should focus more on capabilities and what you bring to the organization.

My opinion. Your actual mileage may vary.
ORAggieFan
I've asked for this as part of the interview process, usually to present in the final panel interview. This is for management positions, usually new roles where they are going to need to be self sufficient. I don't expect them to align with what I'd do perfectly, but gives me a good idea if they are going to be able to execute.
ATXAdvisor
AG
As an interviewer, I've always been interested in what the candidate has accomplished. When they start talking about what they are planning, I tune out.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'm in executive management and have had cases where I've needed to do this and cases where it's not been required. I have been asked to create one when it has been required and it was well into the interview process.

For the other side of the coin, when I interview people, I think I could be put off if someone just handed me a highly detailed plan I didn't ask for, and I think it would be completely acceptable for someone to say that they needed 30-45 days on the job to immerse themselves and develop a better plan after that. I do think it's expected to discuss what will happen in the first 90 days (and much longer) in the interview process. These things are best done collaboratively with the candidate. One note is that CXO positions always require a business plan, but these are generally done collaboratively with the leading candidates well into the process. It's not expected in the first interview.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.