Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Need Suggestion: Farm/Ranch CPA needed in East Texas/Crockett/Lovelady area

1,449 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by (removed:10EA24-2)
Porch&Prairie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I started a Cut-Flower business recently, and we are at a turning point of making some legal decisions and picking directions based on our current success.....

However, most people aren't familiar with cut-flowers or the industry, and we haven't had much luck finding a CPA that will fit our needs, via Google.

Please make a suggestion if you feel there is someone you know, who might be interested/qualified to help us out.

Thank you,

Jerry and Cristin
Porch and Prairie Flowers
Class of 2000
Casey TableTennis
AG
I'm guessing Texas Tulips in Pilot Point is big enough to have encountered the same. You might reach out to them to see where their CPA is located and then explore if that CPA knows of someone similar closer to you.
30wedge
I would suggest asking friends or family if they have a recommendation over using Google. The cut flower business isn't a complicated business and I would bet almost any CPA could be of help. I guess what I am saying is that I don't think it is a business that would require a CPA to have some special skills or knowledge relating to only that business.
SnowboardAg
AG
Porch&Prairie said:

and we are at a turning point of making some legal decisions and picking directions based on our current success.....

Are you sure you're looking for a CPA or more of a tax attorney / financial planning / business strategy consultant? A good CPA should have contacts with legal / financial planning people, but your questions may not be answered by a CPA.
Porch&Prairie
Since we are not in trouble with the IRS, I don't feel a tax attorney is the right guy for the job.

And while we grow flowers, cut them, and sell the the general public both on-site and off-site, wholesale and to licensed florist/floral designers....you might be surprised that it took 2 months of relentless calls JUST to get a insurance liability policy on our property since we own the 9 acres, live on the 9 acres, farm the 9 acres and have our event facility on the 9 acres and deliver to both customers and retail grocery accounts, as well as participate in nearby Farmers Markets (which require the insurance policy)....

It was pretty ridiculous actually.....with the first question always being, "I'm sorry, what exactly is it that you are doing? I've never heard of cut-flowers before.."

Seriously.....call your current insurance agent and tell them you are starting a Cut-Flower farm, and ask for a general liability insurance policy.......

In any case, I made 3 phone calls today, all to agriculture/farm/agri-tourism CPA's. I hope to get the answers I am looking for...I think a qualified CPA should be able to answer questions or lead me in the right direction with questions specific to the dynamic of our business.

Thank you all for the help,

Jerry
30wedge
Insurance is often a mess, the biggest problems I have ever dealt with has been windstorm for one of my businesses and the other was them valuing property too high so they can screw you on claims because of the deductibles being a percentage of the (overstated) value. Then, of course, trying to collect on a claim!

I have only had one cut-flower client and do not recall if they had issues with insurance or not, it was some time ago.

The other poster that recommended a tax attorney was likely not thinking you were in trouble with the IRS. A tax attorney can provide guidance regarding entity types and liability concerns while also being aware of the tax implications of those choices. In some of the situations I have been involved in, I will recommend my client go visit with one of two tax attorneys for that sort of guidance, guys I have known for 40 years.

Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.
SnowboardAg
AG
Your business sounds similar to what a winery offers minus the alcohol component. I would maybe link into some contacts there as another source / option. They've probably hit some of the same roadblocks - just a thought. Good luck!
(removed:10EA24-2)
Join the ASCFG if you haven't already and they have a ton of resources, conferences, support etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.