Business & Investing
Sponsored by

refi'd your mortgage lately? might want to look into it

41,970 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bob Knights Paper Hands
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you that don't follow this too closely, you might want to check out your mortgage rate and compare that to current rates.

Rates have fallen to multi-year lows and this might be a good time to refi...lock in a lower rate or take out equity or both.

Or I guess if you're on the fence about buying a place, this might be reason to accelerate the decision...money is pretty cheap right now.

I know there are some mortgage folks on here that would surely be happy to help.
AggieMainland
Are there any negatives to refinance? (I know nothing so that might be a dumb question)

I don't know a house but my parents do and I'm sure they are got screwed with interest rates and don't know enough to do anything about it.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
AggieMainland said:

Are there any negatives to refinance? (I know nothing so that might be a dumb question)

I don't know a house but my parents do and I'm sure they are got screwed with interest rates and don't know enough to do anything about it.

Potential closing costs are one. Another is if you only pay whatever the monthly statement requires, you're resetting your timer and slowing your equity growth (I'm not saying that's always bad).....but if you had a $300k mortage paid down to $200k and then you refi that $200k over another 30 years, you're going to slow your equity since you're stretching your time table.

I'm not an expert and these may not be true in all cases - just some obvious ones based on the nature of a refinance.
TwoMarksHand
AG
What are they at right now?
Goldie Wilson
We're currently in the process of refinancing. Got a few local banks to bid against each other. The final offer we accepted covered 100% of the closing costs + an extra ~$1500 credit (will offset escrows at closing). Not a bad deal.
chris1515
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

What are they at right now?

http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/

according to this, 30 yr fixed is at 3.73% you have to go back to Oct 2016 to find lower rates.

15 yr at 3.16%
Pepper Brooks
AG
I did a calculation and figured we'd only save about $16k in interest by taking our 30 yr/3.75% note to a 15 yr/3.25% note. It doesn't seem worth it to me. Would anyone refi in this position?
chris1515
AG
Texags should give me a premium upgrade here in appreciation for all the revenue they are getting from the Lending Tree ads on the side of this post. At least that's what I'm seeing.
IrishTxAggie
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

I did a calculation and figured we'd only save about $16k in interest by taking our 30 yr/3.75% note to a 15 yr/3.25% note. It doesn't seem worth it to me. Would anyone refi in this position?
$16K is a nice chunk of change. But it's also a matter of comfort considering your monthly would likely increase. Would you be comfortable with the larger payment or would you feel better with just paying more on the principle each month to pay off early?

Maybe post over on the Real Estate Board. Quite a few broker shoppers over there.
evan_aggie
AG
Saw an article this morning and went searching on BankRate. Odd thing....I saw 3.125% no points, to 2.875% with points at 8am and now can't find the same offer listed.

Many also require escrow, which we don't mess with. I'd rather handle it all myself.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
chris1515 said:

Texags should give me a premium upgrade here in appreciation for all the revenue they are getting from the Lending Tree ads on the side of this post. At least that's what I'm seeing.
Soon after making the mistake of calling that outfit a couple of years ago, I got endless unsolicited phone calls and the most complete financial identity theft since Jason Bateman met Melissa McCarthy.
Aston04
AG
Couple big banks announced cuts to savings account rates... I think a fed rate cut is coming. Going to wait just a little longer and then run the numbers to see if we should refi.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I refi-ed 3 years ago to get out of a variable rate to a 30yr fix. I'm now at 4.25%. I won't look at another refi unless it gets at or below 3%
lawless89
Closed last August for 4.625 fixed. Should I refinance? I guess if I get closing cost covered, there's nothing to lose, right?
redag06
3+ years in to a 30 year and thinking about going down to a 15.

It does help I have a friend who would do our mortgage at no cost.
Old RV Ag
AG
lawless89 said:

Closed last August for 4.625 fixed. Should I refinance? I guess if I get closing cost covered, there's nothing to lose, right?
If you can drop essentially a full point only one year in to a loan that's a no brainier.
permabull
AG
ktownag08
AG
Still enjoying my 3.375 for 30 I got back in 2016. Would have to be 2 for 15 for me to refinance.
MemorialTXAg
What are rates and term on interest only?
MrJonMan
AG
We are 2 months into a 15yr at 3.625%
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Aggie71013
AG
6 months into a 15 at 4.25%. Bought right at the peak when all signs were for more interest rate increases. Might need to look into a lower rate.
Old RV Ag
AG
No Pressure said:

Wow. Interest only - would avoid that completely.
MemorialTXAg
Old RV Ag said:

No Pressure said:

Don't worry about me old man and answer the question.
evan_aggie
AG
Funny 4.25% is peak... my father tells me about his first house being 18% and the one I grew up in 88'+ was 11%.

I can't even imagine how devastating 6-7% would be to home prices today. No one would be able to afford homes in Austin....or anywhere really.
94chem
evan_aggie said:

Funny 4.25% is peak... my father tells me about his first house being 18% and the one I grew up in 88'+ was 11%.

I can't even imagine how devastating 6-7% would be to home prices today. No one would be able to afford homes in Austin....or anywhere really.

You'd see massive drops in valuations, appraisal districts would be scrambling, and the entire property tax system would cave in. Oh, and it will happen. Just don't know when. You can only live beyond your means as a culture for so long.
aggiedaniel06
AG
In a couple of years or so we'll be in a recession and the fed will end up cutting rates to near zero.

That will be a good time to lock in a 15 year at around 1.5%
IrishTxAggie
AG
People have been saying this since '16
Ragoo
AG
94chem said:

evan_aggie said:

You'd see massive drops in valuations, appraisal districts would be scrambling, and the entire property tax system would cave in. Oh, and it will happen. Just don't know when. You can only live beyond your means as a culture for so long.
it won't happen for a long time. Low interest rates are our new culture.
SnowboardAg
AG
Why has the spread gotten tighter between a 30 yr fixed and both the 15 yr and 5/1 ARM? I remember the spread being closer to 1% and now it's like .5%? Is this a supply and demand thing that's causing it?
Old RV Ag
AG
No Pressure said:

Old RV Ag said:

No Pressure said:

Don't worry about me old man and answer the question.
If you need someone on here to look those up for you, then you're denser than just someone who would consider an interest only loan. Find it yourself kid.
permabull
AG
aggiedaniel06
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

People have been saying this since '16

I didn't feel that way in '16. At that time my belief was that since the economy had stabilized, the fed would start increasing rates, and which it did. However the last 6 months has shown me that the slightest whiff of rate increase and the market begins to crumble. Also as long as we have Trump in office, he's going to put immense pressure on the fed to cut rates.
We will enter another recession; its just a matter of when; And when we do rate cutting seems like the only tool the fed possesses. I feel pretty confident in saying that within 5 years we'll be near zero.
Phat32
AG
3.5% currently. Would be hard pressed to refi. But anyone above 4 should definitely run the numbers.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
We just refi'd (again) with long time Texags sponsor Jay Hurst. Rates were 3.875 (30) and 3.25 (15) plus closing costs or around 3.99 with a bunch of lender credits that almost make it zero cost. Anyone much over 4% should look into It if you plan to be in your house much longer. And jay and his team are fantastic.
Pendragon12
AG
chrisfield said:

We just refi'd (again) with long time Texags sponsor Jay Hurst. Rates were 3.875 (30) and 3.25 (15) plus closing costs or around 3.99 with a bunch of lender credits that almost make it zero cost. Anyone much over 4% should look into It if you plan to be in your house much longer. And jay and his team are fantastic.
What do you think "much longer" is defined as?

I'm sitting 1 year into a 5 year ARM...still a solid chance I move before the 5 years are up, but dropping interest rates is intriguing to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.