Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Dallas and Houston finance Ags

4,081 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by leoj
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just decided to take a plunge and worked out a 6 week notice with my current employer. I have been unsatisfied with my work situation for a while now and so I figured I needed to stop sitting around waiting for it to improve.

I'm halfway through my Masters of Finance degree at UTD and have been in the chemicals/supply chain field in progressive positions for the past 8.5 years after I graduated 2010 in ID.

I'm looking for any opportunities to interview for FP&A or investment banking analyst positions in either city. I am in Dallas but originally from Houston and my lease is actually up in two months.

I can provide my resume and more background on my skills, such as excel modeling and working on some R coding on my own, etc. I realize there is a jobs board but this is more relevant for this board and gets more views. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig'em

- Joel
Casey TableTennis
AG
I would suggest checking with the Houston and Dallas CFA societies to see if any upcoming meetings are open to non-members. Should be some connections that can be made at those that at least get you closer to your goals.

There is also a North Texas chapter of the Exit Planning Institute that could be worth exploring. Lots of M&A types are in that, and pretty much everyone in it is well connected to M&A circles.
Diggity
AG
leoj said:

I am in Dallas but originally from Houston and my lease is actually up in two months.

Don't base your career location on your car
leoj
AG
Trust me, I'm basing it on wherever a paycheck is at a good company with a job I'll find interesting and motivating again.

Also thanks for the tips Casey.
DRE06
AG
Good luck. Leaving a great job for a career change without a job lined up was a nightmare for me. It all worked out incredibly and I found the enjoyable job/career that I was looking for but it was a living nightmare for a while.
leoj
AG
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm definitely prepared as much as I can be for that possibility.
EdmondEd
Many years ago, I worked for a terrible boss,I thought it would never end, constant humiliation, insults, etc
But then I took a chance and opened my small company, now I have my own workers to whom I treat with respect and my website

http://www.NorthRichlandHillsLocksmith24h.Com

Sometimes it's scary to quit stability for even better stability, but it's worth it.

Post removed:
by user
leoj
AG
I just finished a financial statement model and DCF analysis of a public company I can send in addition to my resume and references.
Cyp0111
You may also expand your horizon to entry level commercial banking programs. Will be easier to get into vs. Ibanking. You may also check for a financial/accounting analyst position at a larger company and work your way into FP&A.
leoj
AG
Yes sir, I have been looking at commercial banking positions, there have been some positions that involve underwriting or credit analysis, and also am applying to all open FP&A job openings on indeed and LinkedIn

Edit: I see what you mean about working my way in. Unfortunately most accounting type positions I see require some big 4 experience or going for your cpa, stuff like that. I only have 9 total ACCT credit hours between undergrad and grad. Other types of corporate finance roles could work though.

Definitely keeping my horizons broad, I appreciate the advice.
Bobaloo
DRE06 said:

Good luck. Leaving a great job for a career change without a job lined up was a nightmare for me. It all worked out incredibly and I found the enjoyable job/career that I was looking for but it was a living nightmare for a while.

I agree. The only thing worse than a bad job is no job. It is tough to switch careers but it is certainly possible.
dc509
AG
If you're interested in investment banking have you looked at local boutique banks? I'm not saying they will necessarily be easier to get on with, but casting a wide net is helpful. There's more but start here.

https://metcapital.com/

https://commercestreetholdings.com/
leoj
AG
Yes sir, it's actually where I'm really focusing and I have had a few meetings with some of them. I'm not expecting someone like Goldman to give me much of a chance with my unusual background. I had not heard of Met Capital, thank you.
jh0400
AG
I'd also recommend looking at sell side research positions that cover companies in the industry you're looking to get out of.
leoj
AG
Bump.

Networked with some really great Ags in the area, looking to continue to do so as I keep applying for jobs. Made the decision to stick it out in DFW so I can finish my degree.
BMF_AG95
AG
Do you graduate in May? Part-time program?

Drop me an email at chuckj95

Commercial banking related.
leoj
AG
Just so anyone else reading this thread knows, I am looking to graduate with my MS in Finance from UTD in May 2020.

Thank you again to Chuck and other Ags who have reached out, I really appreciate it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.