Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best High-Yield Savings Account

21,775 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mts6175
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not bad, but sounds both temporary and selective.

Like other savings accounts, look out for the limit of six monthly withdrawals, along with some other downsides:
  • Monthly service fee. You need to maintain a daily balance of $3,500 to waive the $12 monthly fee.
  • Initial deposit requirement. Though a low requirement, you need $25 to open an account.
  • Overdraft fees. You're charged $34 for each overdraft transaction, or $10 if you have overdraft protection.
  • Interest rate. The highest APY of 2.15% is only available for the first 12 months, and only if you open an account with at least $25,000 with an agent. Otherwise, rates range between 0.05% and 0.1%, which is far lower than other savings products.
TXTransplant
Thanks for the info. It's not worth the trouble to move everything if it's only good for a year. I'll just stay with Cap One for now. I can always open a 12 month CD with them if I want 2.3%
TheMasterplan
My emergency fund interest rate dropped from 2.0 to 1.75%.

Still the same rate as my house deposit fund but the important thing is that my emergency fund is in a separate bank altogether.
proudaggie02
AG
WF rate was 1.45% before I got the higher rate for 1 year. I moved some to GS Marcus 2-3 months ago (1% bonus capped at 50k/500 bonus if maintain balance for 90 days) but will move most back to WF shortly. I also got a 2.5% 12-month CD with First Bank in May.
proudaggie02
AG
And my account was already opened, but they said they would give me the higher rate for 12 months as long as I deposited 25k+ of non-WF funds.
evan_aggie
AG
PurePoint just dropped to 1.8%.
Baby Billy
AG
PCOXX still 1.99%
https://services.federatedinvestors.com/teamsite-file-server/content/fact-sheets-and-performance-profiles%2FG01417-63.pdf?token=ZGFmXHBkZlxmYWN0X3NoZWV0c19hbmRfcGVyZm9ybWFuY2VfcHJvZmlsZXNcaW52ZXN0b3JfZmFjdF9zaGVldFxsaXF1aWRpdHlfZnVuZHNcRzAxNDE3LTYzLnBkZg%3D%3D%7C1%7CMC0CFHDNJdsuvfxvXL9IfwsYFq8xZReRAhUAlw7iiL97XR9dYcgltJidWb7eIZc%3D
redag06
Have money with Wealthfront and CITbank and currently both are above 2%.
Ranger222
AG
Anyone play around with SoFi Money? Cash management account with 1.8%. Only downside I see reading between the lines is that they state they can stop the reimbursed ATM fees at any time without telling you (bull****).
evan_aggie
AG
I wouldn't do business with a company that puts forth a policy like that. If they want to stop reimbursing, fine, but they should give you notice.
Jethro95
AG
I moved from Marcus to Memory Bank over the summer after Marcus started lowering its rate. Memory Bank just lowered the rate from 2.25 to 2.00. One thing I do like about Memory Bank is they support Zelle. I also noticed that my Discover Bank account now supports Zelle. I like being able to do instant transfers between my own accounts at different banks when needed,
RockOn
I just use VMMXX as my cash allocation.
JB
AG
Ally now 1.7%
dallasag12
AG
Ally now down to 1.6%.

Considering just keeping half of my target amount in there and moving the other half into AGG or something that is pretty safe but has at least somewhat of a better yield (currently 2.71% with 0.04% expense ratio).

Bad idea or not?
Vernada
AG
dang - I hadn't checked my Cap 1 in a while - down to 1.5% now.
Laser Wolf
Capital One Money Market down to 1.7% last I checked.
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
Vernada
AG
RockOn said:

I may end up just moving all of cash to Fidelity and using one of their similar funds since Cap One has been moving lower.
suburban cowboy
AG
RockOn said:

What's the max and what is the risk level in comparison to CapOne?
RockOn
Capital One money market account is just a bank deposit like your local bank or credit union. $250k FDIC insurance per TIN.

VMMXX is a true money market investment with no FDIC insurance. The composition is about 55% Yankee bonds, 40% US T-Bills, and 5% bank CD's. Yankees are foreign bank and corporation holdings of US dollar denominated very short-term debt. Average maturity of the portfolio is 49 days. I too once asked, is this safe? and I determined for myself that yes its about as low risk as you can get. And it's a true market rate of interest instead of just what the bank determines it wants to pay, so I never have to shop around for who is paying the best rate. $3,000 minimum, no maximum.

Either one is fine, I think it just comes down to personal preference.
Iowaggie
AG
MAS444 said:

That's a hell of a rate and very tempting. Anyone actually have this? Is it promotional that they're going to lower after some time? Any other catches other than the above?

They have now lowered their rate:
3% on first $15K
2.05% on $15K - $100K
1.5% on 100K - $250K
and 1% after that.
mts6175
AG
FYI, Citibank is at 1.85%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.