Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Options with a Job Offer?

2,014 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 500,000ags
500,000ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My girlfriend recently received a job offer from a company that is at the venture-stage. She was offered stock options that vest over a 4-yr period, but the offer letter has literally no other details.

Is that common? I was expecting much more detail. The job doesn't offer incentive compensation, so the stock options are the incentive for the foreseeable future.

BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Stock options or RSUs? At my current job, the entirety of my signing bonus was RSUs that vested in thirds over a 3 year period. As for the no incentive pay, it was my understanding that start ups don't typically offer great variable comp annually but rather give a stake up front as on going incentive. That's just what I've gathered through hearing though, never worked for one myself.
500,000ags
AG
The offer letter says options.

When you were offered RSUs, was there detail given on those or was the Company public?
IrishTxAggie
AG
500,000ags said:

The offer letter says options.

When you were offered RSUs, was there detail given on those or was the Company public?

If the letter just says options, it sounds like they're keeping it pretty damn vague to screw your girlfriend over in the long run. I'd want a better explanation of the options.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Your GF needs more information.

Albeit the options vest over a four year period, there can be a constraint where the shares cannot be sold, or cannot be sold until the company is sold and only then are they cashed out, and on and on,...because share value is established in the sale and not before.

Or,...if GF leaves after 3 years are the vested options retained for her individual account or will she forfeit? The caveat can be, she is "vested" with options under her control as long as she is an employee.

Do the vested options go away if she goes to work for a competitor? Who and What defines "competitor"?

There has to be a company legal document in place that defines the options process. If the company will not share that document, consider the options as a "zero" benefit and look for other benefits that would entice her to work for this specific company.

....been here, done this....I went to work for a similar scenario company because I liked the company and the job....the shares meant zero to me, but I was older. If the opportunity happened to me when I was younger, I wouldn't have gone to work for that company. The sales pitch to one of these option/share deals can sound exciting, the reality is very few employees collect.
moses1084ever
AG
What stage is the company at? Seed? Series A? B? Are they pre-revenue?

I'd be skeptical if they are past series B and do not have a concrete options plan already in place. In my own experience, VC's want employees to be highly motivated. I've heard the "do you have an option pool?" question from VC's more than a few times during due diligence.

Other things to consider...

- Is there a cliff when the vesting starts?
- What happens if there is a liquidity event before she is fully vested? (vesting acceleration)
- After she's vested but decides to leave the company, is she forced to sell?
- If she's forced to sell, how is that handled and how is it valued?

500,000ags
AG
moses1084ever said:

What stage is the company at? Seed? Series A? B? Are they pre-revenue?

I'd be skeptical if they are past series B and do not have a concrete options plan already in place. In my own experience, VC's want employees to be highly motivated. I've heard the "do you have an option pool?" question from VC's more than a few times during due diligence.

Other things to consider...

- Is there a cliff when the vesting starts?
- What happens if there is a liquidity event before she is fully vested? (vesting acceleration)
- After she's vested but decides to leave the company, is she forced to sell?
- If she's forced to sell, how is that handled and how is it valued?

The Company completed its Series B just over a year ago. My gf did receive a company handbook over the weekend. It says options are all governed by an internal agreement approved by the BoD.

There is a one-year cliff.

I still don't have answers for the final three questions. I'll be sure to get those. Thank you very much for adding.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.