Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best way to play RSU's?

2,749 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggiEE
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New to the RSU game - have started accumulating them through elevating position in company.

What do people around here generally do with them when vested? Leave them, sell them, ???
ATM9000
AG
I mean... it's stock given to you. I get them... but why doesn't what anyone else with them have anything to do with what you do with them?
sockerton
Rule of thumb is to sell immediately unless you have inside info that you should hold out.
investorAg83
AG
sockerton said:

Rule of thumb is to sell immediately unless you have inside info that you should hold out.

Yup. Majority of the time the best thing is to liquidate and reallocate.
SnowboardAg
AG
sockerton said:

Agree with this. A couple other options imo:
1. Hold no more than 10% of your assets in the company (so start selling once you get there with the rsus). This is only if you feel the grant price is very favorable given company's growth / dividends.
2. Read about section 83b and if your company offers that on rsus. It's not for everyone but a financial advisor may advise that strategy every other year (or even every year if you feel like the price is depressed and the growth opportunity is substantial).
DannyDuberstein
AG
I sell immediately. Beyond not wanting my investment risk concentrated, my salary is already tied to my company along with a defined benefit plan (frozen to new entrants nearly 10 years ago, but I'm still in and accumulating value). So regardless of 10%, I've already got enough financial risk concentration in one company even without holding anything voluntarily.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
This is the best point I have seen made re: RSU's (your primary income already being tied to said company). Diversify your risk unless you have a compelling reason to hold.
aggie_wes
AG
I treat them as a bonus. Sell immediately and either reinvest in something other than my company, or take the cash. You get the tax hit when they vest anyway so no reason not to.
Post removed:
by user
Phat32
AG
Good info from all, thanks.
GenericAggie
AG
I've kept mine. I have about 25% of my portfolio in my company's RSU's. I realize that's very heavy and I do need to divest, but I also believe in the company's position in the markets we sell to, such that I expect our stock to double from it's current position in the next 3 years (obviously the market will dictate to a large degree).

Shiner Bock
AG
GenericAggie said:

I've kept mine. I have about 25% of my portfolio in my company's RSU's. I realize that's very heavy and I do need to divest, but I also believe in the company's position in the markets we sell to, such that I expect our stock to double from it's current position in the next 3 years (obviously the market will dictate to a large degree).

well.... do tell, do tell
aggie_wes
AG
I thought we were in a good position too. Down over 50%.
Cyp0111
I sell each year when new vesting window hits. My company is stable and is considered blue chip, however, I'm already long my job.
DRE06
AG
GenericAggie said:

25% of your entire portfolio in one company. Wow.

Hopefully you work for Berkshire.
Thriller
AG
If we could sell, we would on day 1 each year. We don't have that option for a few years yet and I'm uncomfortable (for the same reasons described above) holding a larger than desired position in one company.

Sell, if you can, when you can.
GenericAggie
AG
DRE06 said:

GenericAggie said:

25% of your entire portfolio in one company. Wow.

Hopefully you work for Berkshire.

I do not.
birdman
GenericAggie said:

You sound like the smartest guy in the room.
GenericAggie
AG
birdman said:

GenericAggie said:

Hell no. I just got lucky while my company's stock has done well through the bull market.

If anything, I'm a dumbass for not diversifying. I'm trying to figure that out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've spent the past 15 years with a very solid growth Fortune 100 company. I would just caution that while one can feel great about how one's company is positioned, there are a couple of wildcards:

1) It's easy to get emotionally connected to where you see a slightly rosier picture than the market does - have to be careful about that
2) The biggest challenge for me is understanding how the market sees/values us. Good news may not be good enough news. Bad news may not be that bad. It depends on how effectively the market has already priced all of those assumptions into the stock, and that's always been a tough gauge for me.

And let me tell you, as an ex-Arthur Andersen manager that was there when it went down, the fortunes of your company can change on a dime. Even when it has been a historically strong market leader in existence for nearly 90 years - a leader right up until the day it wasn't. I've had a front row seat to changes that I never thought would happen, and they happened in a matter of weeks/months.
PeekingDuck
AG
GenericAggie said:

birdman said:

GenericAggie said:

Hell no. I just got lucky while my company's stock has done well through the bull market.

If anything, I'm a dumbass for not diversifying. I'm trying to figure that out.
That was an Enron joke.
jh0400
AG
I sell my long-term holdings on the first day I'm in an open window. There has been at least one year where I wasn't able to sell, because I was in a blackout window all year.
JohnnyShotgun
Would the sell quickly advice apply for Apple as well? I'm going on 9 years and get RSU's every year. I also do 10% of every check for our employee stock purchase program and 7% to 401K with 100% match from Apple. Sell or hang onto the RSU's? Thanks.
Ag13
AG
JohnnyShotgun said:

Would the sell quickly advice apply for Apple as well? I'm going on 9 years and get RSU's every year. I also do 10% of every check for our employee stock purchase program and 7% to 401K with 100% match from Apple. Sell or hang onto the RSU's? Thanks.

How much of your net worth is tied up in Apple? I'd imagine quite a bit considering the stock appreciation over the past 9 years.
YouBet
AG
I sell as soon as the RSUs clear vesting. Depending on my cash reserves at the time, I will top that off as needed and then and immediately reallocate balance to other investments.
MemphisAg1
AG
Been a participant for 20 years, and I always sell as soon as they vest (unless I'm temporarily restricted due to possessing material non-public information). Always. And never regretted it.
JohnnyShotgun
Ag13 said:

JohnnyShotgun said:

How much of your net worth is tied up in Apple? I'd imagine quite a bit considering the stock appreciation over the past 9 years.
My net worth is very Apple heavy for obvious reasons. I know I should diversify more, but it's hard throwing good Apple money other places. On a side note, I have recently come into some decent money from an inheritance and will be hiring someone to help manage that money. I will pick their brains for what to do with my entire portfolio.
AggiEE
I'm sure every employee of Dell, IBM, GE, Kodak, etc felt the same way at their peak

You get into confirmation bias that these multiple return ratios keep going but eventually gravity takes hold

Diversify and move on

Successful investing isn't about getting the highest returns
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.