Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How to best grow wealth

6 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cjsag94
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am 36 years old and have been busting it the last few years to put my family in a good position. I finally feel like I'm in a position to do that. Have 3-4x my income in the last 8 years while living beneath our means and want to leverage the position I'm in to grow some serious wealth. Here are my stats:

Cash in hand: $125k
Home Equity: $280,000
Money to put into wealth building: $5k/month

I don't have any money in the market right now because I used about $30k in stocks to buy/sell my first real estate deal which turned into two others which is how I got the $125k cash in hand in about 3 years. Again, I know I'm "behind" by that metric, but I was literally making $30k ten years ago, and we've had four kids with my wife staying at home.

So what would you do to grow your wealth if you were in my situation? My goals (not in order):

Pay for kid's college (4 kids)
$12k/month cash flow by 56
Retire with enough to live comfortably and pay for generations of grandchildren's college
rgag12
AG
To make real wealth you have to be an entrepreneur.
If you can't be an entrepreneur then you should keep doing what you are already doing. Buy assets, sell the assets to get better assets, limit the amount of liabilities you take on (new cars, more expensive house), limit your tax exposure.

For some safe options maybe open some retirement accounts, invest in index funds with after tax money, muni bonds.

Real estate is pretty lucrative if you have the capital, I've never done it though.

There are people on here who have probably better ideas than me though.

TriAg2010
AG
rgag12 said:

Can you quantify your standard of real wealth?
TxAg20
AG
TriAg2010 said:

rgag12 said:

The definition I've heard is "More money than your kids can piss away."
IrishTxAggie
AG
TxAg20 said:

TriAg2010 said:

rgag12 said:

And as I tell my parents, "Challenge Accepted!"
Colt98
AG
The Wonderer
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

TxAg20 said:

TriAg2010 said:

rgag12 said:

And as I tell my parents, "Challenge Accepted!"
I belive it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
TxAg20 said:

TriAg2010 said:

rgag12 said:

From the wealthy I've met... The kids do alright, but the grandkids are tits on a boar hog useless
diehard03
Quote:

I am 36 years old and have been busting it the last few years to put my family in a good position. I finally feel like I'm in a position to do that. Have 3-4x my income in the last 8 years while living beneath our means and want to leverage the position I'm in to grow some serious wealth. Here are my stats:

Cash in hand: $125k
Home Equity: $280,000
Money to put into wealth building: $5k/month

I don't have any money in the market right now because I used about $30k in stocks to buy/sell my first real estate deal which turned into two others which is how I got the $125k cash in hand in about 3 years. Again, I know I'm "behind" by that metric, but I was literally making $30k ten years ago, and we've had four kids with my wife staying at home.

So what would you do to grow your wealth if you were in my situation? My goals (not in order):

Pay for kid's college (4 kids)
$12k/month cash flow by 56
Retire with enough to live comfortably and pay for generations of grandchildren's college

$30k to what...150-200k in 10 years? (rough assumption based on having 5k/m to invest while raising 4 kids) i'd keep doing whatever that is and being in the market myself.

It feels like you're trying to talk yourself into take on a lot of risk based on favorable results in RE (30k to 125k). If you're confident in the numbers and it's your jam, go head on.
Baby Billy
AG
Sounds like you should talk with someone who can help you figure out a plan of action going forward
SquareOne07
AG
First thing's first, gotta siphon off whatever of that $125k you don't need for a monthly cash flow need and emergency fund to get that working for you. There's a lot of opportunity cost being left on the table there.

Broken record here, and obviously biased (from my own personal experience moreso than my profession), but go and talk to somebody with the tools to help you visualize your goals and see how you're tracking towards them.

That should help identify some areas of opportunity.

As an aside, determining how you split up that $5k month is important...know what parts of it you want to use to fund short, intermediate, long, and possibly even speculative goals.

Best wishes!
lotsofhp
AG
rgag12 said:

If you can't be an entrepreneur then you should keep doing what you are already doing. Buy assets, sell the assets to get better assets, limit the amount of liabilities you take on (new cars, more expensive house), limit your tax exposure.

For some safe options maybe open some retirement accounts, invest in index funds with after tax money, muni bonds.

Real estate is pretty lucrative if you have the capital, I've never done it though.

I would respectfully challenge that a little bit. I do agree that to achieve mega wealth and be the elite in this country that you need to own your own business. I understand what you're saying.

But this guy is 36 and if he stops working at his goal age of 56, that's 20 year of investing 5k a month (assuming that he doesn't begin to invest more each month as he makes more money).

Using an investment calculator starting at $125k and investing $5k a month at 9%, he should have like $4 million. I believe he'd be accomplishing his stated goals and I would personally consider him wealthy at that point.

I have a friend that's 33 and just took a job paying $190-$210k a year. He's doesn't own his own business, but I believe he will accumulate real wealth over his career. God only knows what he'll be making when his 43.
Duncan Idaho
Kenneth_2003 said:

TxAg20 said:

TriAg2010 said:

rgag12 said:

From the wealthy I've met... The kids do alright, but the grandkids are tits on a boar hog useless

The proverb is "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dennisjaffe/2019/01/28/the-shirtsleeves-to-shirtsleeves-curse-how-family-wealth-can-survive-it/
YouBet
AG
rgag12 said:

This is obviously false. Entrepreneur probably has a greater chance for mega-wealth but real wealth can be obtained by other means.
FrioAg 00
AG
The top of corporate pyramids (c-suite) generate plenty of wealth without ever being an owner. I know several folks who made 7 digit incomes for a couple decades, lived reasonably, invested well at a level any definition would call wealthy.

I also know many sales people that make it to wealthy. Most rose to the top of something specialized, create incredibly loyal customer relationships in a B2B environment and are the rainmakers of their businesses.

The top of the legal and medical profession also rose to the top of the wealth status.

If you are defining elite wealth as over $100m then ok. But if 10-100m is wealthy there are lots of ways to get there
PFG
AG
Where does the line, even if fuzzy, get drawn between:

I can retire/stop working comfortably

And

I can retire wealthy
investorAg83
AG
Reminds me of the joke outlining the difference between rich and wealthy. Shaq is rich...the guy that signs Shaq's checks is wealthy.

It all depends on how you choose to define it.
SW AG80
AG
Getting back to the OP, you need to hire a financial adviser to help you over the next 2 decades. Find someone you know who has a lot more $$ than you and ask that person who handles his money. But always keep in mind that no one every has you and your family's best interest in mind more than you do. So stay engaged with whomever you hire.
YouBet
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

The top of corporate pyramids (c-suite) generate plenty of wealth without ever being an owner. I know several folks who made 7 digit incomes for a couple decades, lived reasonably, invested well at a level any definition would call wealthy.

I also know many sales people that make it to wealthy. Most rose to the top of something specialized, create incredibly loyal customer relationships in a B2B environment and are the rainmakers of their businesses.

The top of the legal and medical profession also rose to the top of the wealth status.

If you are defining elite wealth as over $100m then ok. But if 10-100m is wealthy there are lots of ways to get there

That's what I was referring to and c-suite not required either. Middle management or senior leadership will get you there as well.
Bird Poo
AG
You have 4 kids and a stay-at-home wife. Most rich people will never know what you have. You already have the life!
RogerEnright
+1 to PearlJammin
lotsofhp
AG
PearlJammin said:

You have 4 kids and a stay-at-home wife. Most rich people will never know what you have. You already have the life!

Glad people still feel this way
FrioAg 00
AG
Amen.

If I look back at the last 14 years of what the wife's income could have been, saved and invested etc, but then I compare it to the joy I see in my family every day

They can keep that extra money. I know a lot of rich AF folks who will never know joy like this.

Happy Friday
Loaded
AG
Another +1 to PearlJammin
TennAg
PearlJammin said:

As the son of a rich man (at one point) who I never saw, make sure you're getting all the family time you can stand. They care about you a lot more than your money.
GE
AG
rgag12 said:

How are you defining real wealth?
cjsag94
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

I I don't have any money in the market right now because I used about $30k in stocks to buy/sell my first real estate deal which turned into two others which is how I got the $125k cash in hand in about 3 years.

You turned $30k into $125k in 3 years in real estate, and you are asking how you can increase wealth with your cash... Is there a reason you don't, at least to some extent, continue with that technique? Was it some sort of sorry term opportunity?

I'd actually say that is a form of business ownership that is being referred to here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.