Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Check for IRS

5,882 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by flown-the-coop
rao11010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I sent in my payment on 4/2 and it has not been taken out of my account yet. Is this something to be concerned about or could they be behind this year? If I remember correctly, last year it was taken out 2-3 days after it was mailed. I'm trying to avoid any late fees if it could have gotten lost in the mail.

thanks

aggiepaintrain
AG
what's your delivery confirmation say?
rao11010
AG
My federal E-File says accepted but that was the same night as I finished my taxes.
DeLaHonta
AG
If you sent a paper check via certified mail, the certified mail receipt is all you'd need to prove timely filing.

I realize that a certified mail receipt proves exactly zero about what was included in the envelope, but the IRS will accept it as proof of timely filing/payment. I wouldn't worry about the actual date of withdrawal, as long as you have the certified mail receipt.
Ragoo
AG
Should have e-filed and paid via credit card.
rao11010
AG
I would say this is where my inexperience comes into play. This is only my second year to pay taxes and just like last year, I sent the check via standard mail. At this point do I wait it out and hope it gets processed soon?
LostInLA07
AG
Nope. Paying the government is the only thing I still use a paper check and mail for. I want it to take as long as legally possible for the government to get my money.
Ragoo
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Nope. Paying the government is the only thing I still use a paper check and mail for. I want it to take as long as legally possible for the government to get my money.
when I owe I prefer to receive points and float the expense an extra month. To each their own.
IrishTxAggie
AG
rao11010 said:

I would say this is where my inexperience comes into play. This is only my second year to pay taxes and just like last year, I sent the check via standard mail. At this point do I wait it out and hope it gets processed soon?
Sent mine by snail mail too. I think the IRS has enough on their plate instead of chasing down an individual whose check came in a couple days late because the federal government they work for is incompetent.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ragoo said:

LostInLA07 said:

when I owe I prefer to receive points and float the expense an extra month. To each their own.
Don't you get tagged a % fee for the use of a credit card?
rao11010
AG
When did you mail it compared to when it was processed? I'm coming up on 2 weeks now.
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Ragoo said:

LostInLA07 said:

i don't remember, been a couple of years since I owed. Could be, but probably worth it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
rao11010 said:

When did you mail it compared to when it was processed? I'm coming up on 2 weeks now.
4/9. Hasn't hit my account yet. I'm not worried. Didn't send my estimated taxes in for this quarter until 4/12 and it's due today. No idea if they got it yet. It's just not worth the worrying. I don't think the IRS is typically in the business of chasing people down that send them money because they got it a day or two late.

You can try calling the IRS. Though good luck getting through their system on today of all days.
bmks270
AG
I mailed my check through standard mail on 4/6 and it was cashed on 4/10.

I only send outgoing mail by dropping it off at the post office drop box. It shouldn't make a difference, but I think mail gets delivered faster and is less likely to be lost that way.

rao11010
AG
bmks270 said:

Well that doesn't make me feel too good. Say my check was lost and I don't pay by today, what kind of penalties am I looking at?
txaggie79
AG
IRS Direct Pay is pretty easy. I use it for my quarterly estimated payments, makes payments easy to prove if needed. (It's for 1040 related payments only)

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Ragoo said:

LostInLA07 said:

Yes they do pretty dumb to pay a 3% fee to pay with a credit card unless you don't have the money to pay.
In that case, the only reason I would do it is if it were a new card and I was trying to get the spend limit for a bonus knocked out real quick...
Ragoo
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Ragoo said:

LostInLA07 said:

Yes they do pretty dumb to pay a 3% fee to pay with a credit card unless you don't have the money to pay.
2.49%, personal preference/convenience

Post removed:
by user
permabull
AG
Ragoo
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Ragoo said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Ragoo said:

LostInLA07 said:

2.49%, personal preference/convenience

So if you owed $5K, you would pay a $125 fee vs mail a check for the cost of a stamp? To each his own.
some people pay a cpa to do what TurboTax does cheaper. To each his own indeed.
bmks270
AG
rao11010 said:

bmks270 said:

Well that doesn't make me feel too good. Say my check was lost and I don't pay by today, what kind of penalties am I looking at?

If it is post marked by 4/15, there are no penalties.

If it was lost, not sure, but there is still a chance it's not lost. I guess you'll have to call to find out.
The Lost
IrishTxAggie said:

rao11010 said:

.I don't think the IRS is typically in the business of chasing people down that send them money because they got it a day or two late.

You'd be amazed at what they'll send you a letter for... 2 years later.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
happy tax day
rao11010
AG
bmks270 said:

rao11010 said:

bmks270 said:

If it is post marked by 4/15, there are no penalties.

If it was lost, not sure, but there is still a chance it's not lost. I guess you'll have to call to find out.
Tried calling this morning to look up status. Everything is automated due to tax day and volume. I'll give it a couple more weeks and then start to look into it.
infinity ag
txaggie79 said:

IRS Direct Pay is pretty easy. I use it for my quarterly estimated payments, makes payments easy to prove if needed. (It's for 1040 related payments only)

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

I agree... I did this last year for the first time. I will do more of it this year.
LOYAL AG
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

rao11010 said:

Sent mine by snail mail too. I think the IRS has enough on their plate instead of chasing down an individual whose check came in a couple days late because the federal government they work for is incompetent.

You might think it but you'd be wrong. If it's received late they'll check the postmark date. If that was late they'll actually keep a copy of the envelope and use that to support the fine notice they send out because you filed or paid late.

If you're going to use snail mail always watch the USPS employee stamp the postmark date on the envelope. Several years ago a now former partner of mine dropped a dozen S corp extensions into the blue box on March 14. None of them were postmarked and they were received March 17th. Every single client got a fine for late filing. We were able to get all of them forgiven but the wasted time doing was was a huge pain in the ass.
Zemira
AG
The IRS in general doesn't seem concerned with a few days as compared to other governments. In my dealings with the British (HMRC) and the Dutch (Belastingdienst) they start charging interest daily once you are late.

Who knows?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Seemed appropriate to put in here
WoMD
They deposited mine within a week of putting it in the mailbox.
gigemhilo
AG
Usually takes about a week when you mail it.

I would not be worried about it... usually, if you call and say "hey I mailed it" they will be understanding - especially if it was a small amount. just depends on the revenue officer you get on the phone I guess. Also, they build in a few grace days around April 15.
rao11010
AG
Update: check never posted. Just got off the phone with the IRS and they suggest putting a stop on the first check and sending it again. At least it has in their notes me saying I tried paying on 4/2 so hopefully they don't try to hit me with a fee. I'll have to end up sending it in certified mail this time.
Zemira
AG
Isn't there a way to pay the IRS by electronic bank transfer? I know we did commercially.
rao11010
AG
I asked but the amount hasn't been posed on IRS.GOV, said they don't update until mid May. I had the option to pay through turbotax but I choose check instead. Lesson learned.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.