Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Refinance to 15 year mortgage?

9,188 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BBDP
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You initial question asked about refinancing to a HIGHER rate. You deserve every comment on here
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]
John Francis Donaghy
terradactylexpress said:

You initial question asked about refinancing to a HIGHER rate. You deserve every comment on here

Then explain why that is a bad idea. This is a board for financial discussion and advice. If you're going to give someone a hard time for asking a poor question, at least do it while explaining why, and give some advice on what you might do instead.

Sounds to me like OPs realtor buddy waved the total interest paid numbers on the 15 vs. The 30 in front of him to try to drum up some refi business. We can all get a little confused sometimes when people start throwing numbers at us. Thankfully OP's BS meter went off enough to come here and ask, so no harm was done.
94chem
rlb28 said:

94chem said:

I can't believe someone would refi over 0.25 points or less. Others have answered your question, but you need to really understand what a bad question it was. It shows a surprising lack of financial literacy.

Next, rather than paying off early, why don't you put that money toward something productive? Do you have 529 funds? Have you ever been to Hawaii?
What a jackwagon. Message board question and answers help a lot of people. Who are you anyway? It's great that someone who truly doesn't understand something had the nads to ask. Unfortunately, you showed up on the thread. Not everyone is all-knowing like yourself.
All of the other comments to choose from, and I'm the one who gets called a jackwagon. Did I accidentally run over your pet squirrel on the way to work this morning?
BBDP
AG
There is no such thing as good debt when you get laid off and don't have enough emergency fund.
Liquidating assets during a down turn (when most get laid off) is typically bad timing.

Having a paid for house provides additional security which has value.
WoMD
BBDP said:

There is no such thing as good debt when you get laid off and don't have enough emergency fund.
Liquidating assets during a down turn (when most get laid off) is typically bad timing.

And if you get laid off before the house is paid off? And now you have a larger monthly mortgage to pay for? In that scenario you're more likely to be homeless since you intentionally gave up ALL flexibility for no significant benefit. Save the difference in the monthly payment...done, there's your emergency fund. Make additional payments along the way to pay it off sooner if you prefer. Or all at once once you've saved enough to do so. But taking away your flexibility along the way for zero financial benefit is foolish at best.
AgRebel08
AG
Why would you knowingly refinance into a higher rate, thanks for reminding me that 99% of people in this world really cant think critically when it comes to finance.
BBDP
AG
Would you do a 40 year note?
UpstateAg
AG
Just to clarify because people don't read further down than a few posts, it was a lower rate (mistake in original post), but not that much of a difference.
WoMD
BBDP said:

Would you do a 40 year note?

Depends on my circumstances. But probably not, at least for a personal residence. Even at the current basically free rates, it's too long for most people. I would do it for my CRE in a heartbeat, if that is available. As an example of a good refinance I recently refinanced my CRE from 25 years (with 19 remaining) to 15 from 6.8% to 4% after I had paid down a sizable chunk with early payments to get principle to under 500k. I will never make another early payment on that loan going forward since I can move that money to better uses. If I started at 4% I wouldn't have touched it unless they got close to 3%. When my rate dropped that dramatically, and since I made early principle payments, I ended up at the same monthly payment as I had before but more going toward principle.
cjsag94
AG
BBDP said:

This is the biggest mistake people make. Instead of saving enough emergency fund, to use your example, they pay extra on a house. Sure, in a perfect world, if bad things happened, you'd have no debt . But in the real world, being debt free doesn't buy a loaf of bread... Liquidity does. At today's interest rates.. save your cash, invest it appropriately, and you'll be far better prepared for the rough times.
John Francis Donaghy
BBDP said:

There absolutely is.

For discussions' sake, let's assume the following scenario: (I rounded cents off because this is just for illustrative purposes)

$250,000 mortgage, 30 year term with a fixed rate of 4.5%
Monthly payment: $1,266

To pay it off in 15 years, you would have to pay an additional $700/mo towards the principle starting in month 1 and that will prevent you from investing that money until the mortgage is paid off.

Let's consider your example of being laid off at some point while paying your extra monthly cash towards the mortgage instead of investing it:

Laid off at 5 Year mark:
Mortgage Payment Due: $1,266
Investment Account Balance: $0
Result: not good.

Laid off at 10 year mark:
Result: not good.

At the 15 year mark:
Mortgage Payment Due: $0
Result: Could be worse, but still not great.

Mortgage paid off: Begin sending entire $1,266 + $700 that you've been paying towards the mortgage to an investment account each month from here on.

At 20 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $140,000
Result: Good

At 30 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $611,943
Result: Good

Now let's run the same numbers for the guy that sent that $700/mo in extra cash to an investment account earning 7% interest from day 1 instead of paying the mortgage down early:

Laid off at 5 Year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $49,837
Result: Good.

Laid off at 10 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $119,736

At the 15 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $217,773

At 20 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $355,275

At 30 year mark:
Investment Account Balance: $818,617

Investing the extra money not only makes you better able to keep the bills paid during tough times starting much earlier in the loan term, the interest earned on the investment account more than makes up for the extra interest paid over the second half of the loan term, leaving you with an overall greater net worth by the time all is said and done.

Calculators:
https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/home-equity/additional-mortgage-payment-calculator.aspx
https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/investment-goal-calculator.aspx
BBDP
AG
My main comment was having an emergency fund and risk of a crash (when top notch people lose their income) . When that happens you lose money in investments that average 7%.

Now run the comparison... show total net worth comparison after 30 years with the other scenario.... investing every thing starting at year 15 (fiull payment) The difference is a lot smaller than you think. 3.75% for the 30 and 3.6 for the 15.
$250k + x

The vast majority of "wealthy" people pay off their homes way before 50. There are a lot of factors there but it's true.

Casey TableTennis
AG
BBDP said:

The vast majority of "wealthy" people pay off their homes way before 50.
This isn't close to right. Sometimes wealthy people pay off their mortgage early and I regularly advise it when factors cause debt retirement to be prioritized over optimizing further wealth accumulation. But to categorize it as the majority act that way, much less the "vast majority" is framing the issue poorly.
cjsag94
AG
You are completely mixing scenarios in an attempt to make your case right. One hand you talk about people with no emergency savings, then you talk about someone getting laid off while having a mortgage, then you talk about wealthy people (i. e. Adequate liquidity), then you talk about where you are after the full 30 years.

None of those statements are inaccurate.. but your original comment was to expedite home pay off in case you lose your job at some point. Your assertion was that elimination of a home principal and interest payment would be the best thing for someone... Ironically, to get there, you greatly increase that same payment for the first 15 years.

FYI, 30 years of savings will pretty much always blow 15 years of savings or of the water. Quick look, i come up with$620,000 after 30 years, compared to $818,000 shown above. That is a 30% difference, compound that or the next 20 years, and your pushing half million or more difference.
aggiepaintrain
AG
where can I get 7% a year guaranteed?
please sign me up
themissinglink
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

where can I get 7% a year guaranteed?
please sign me up
If you have a 30 year investment horizon, the S&P 500 is pretty close to a guarantee to give you at least 8%...

The best investment is almost always to take out a 30 year mortgage and invest the difference between the 15 and 30 year mortgage payment; however, it takes a very disciplined person to be able to pull that off. Many of the regular poster on this board can pull it off.

Most people would probably be best advised to just get a 15 year mortgage. Lifestyle creep catches up with most people and when they see the extra money in their bank account, it usually doesn't go towards savings.
BBDP
AG

You are correct......
But risk is always ignored in these scenarios but eliminating it has value.... hence we buy insurance.
If you want to ignore risk; once your home is paid off, drop your insurance an invest that too. That money you have at 7% is at risk.. what happens if it only get 3% the 1st 15 years (look at the markets between 1999-2014). Who ended up better then... I took out my 1st mortgage in 2001.

And that response was to the quote that Mortgage dept was "good" dept.
CC dept is unsecured... interest rates are horrible but they cant come and take you Taco Bell back.

cjsag94
AG
You have an uncanny knack for taking extreme points (absurd one at that re your assertion to cancel insurance) to prove your position.
cjsag94
AG
Fyi, sp500 average 4.25% with reinvested dividends over that period.. so you picked basically the worst scenario you could, and it still did fine.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Lifestyle creep catches up with most people and when they see the extra money in their bank account

That's why you never let the money hit your account.

Set up auto draft payments like it's a 15. If you get in a bind, pull back to a 20, or 25, or the full 30yr payments if you need to.

Same with HSA. 401K. IRA. Etc.

The auto draft may be the greatest invention for the passive investor. The money just goes into the account. You never touch it. Never feel it leave. No pain, all the gains.

More people would get closer to maxing their retirement accounts if they did a routine "feel test". Up the auto draft by $100. See if you feel it that next month. If you don't feel any sting, leave it alone. Try again next quarter.
John Francis Donaghy
BBDP said:

You are correct......
But risk is always ignored in these scenarios but eliminating it has value.... hence we buy insurance.
If you want to ignore risk; once your home is paid off, drop your insurance an invest that too. That money you have at 7% is at risk.. what happens if it only get 3% the 1st 15 years (look at the markets between 1999-2014). Who ended up better then... I took out my 1st mortgage in 2001.

And that response was to the quote that Mortgage dept was "good" dept.
CC dept is unsecured... interest rates are horrible but they cant come and take you Taco Bell back.

When you find yourself talking about dropping your homeowners insurance and defaulting on credit card debt you ran up on Taco Bell to support your arguments, it might be time to take a step back and reevaluate your position.
Stive
AG
BBDP said:

The vast majority of "wealthy" people pay off their homes way before 50. There are a lot of factors there but it's true.

Um.....who told you that?!?!
WoMD
I can't believe it, but this thread is actually getting even more entertaining.
dallasiteinsa02
Stive said:

BBDP said:

Um.....who told you that?!?!

I have dealt with the top 1% of 1% on home construction for 15 years. All of them pay cash to build their new home and purchase their homesite. About 50% of them take a mortgage out when it is complete.
Stive
AG
Exactly. Many of them keep mortgages for a multitude of reasons. To say "the vast majority pay off their home before 50" is patently false.
jja79
AG
If they're doing that their strategy is to pay a rate above market. The loan becomes an A-6 in Texas and typically is 0.25% over market.

Our bank has +/-650 custom homes currently under construction for which we're providing financing. Average loan size is $800K so maybe not top 1% of 1% but probably above average. I've never had anyone come to me to cash out new construction.

In my experience $1MM mortgage clients ask two questions. What is the minimum down payment? How long can I finance this? They believe in leverage.

It's typical those borrowing for construction have a paid for site which satisfies their equity requirement.
Casey TableTennis
AG
jja79 said:

If they're doing that their strategy is to pay a rate above market. The loan becomes an A-6 in Texas and typically is 0.25% over market.

Our bank has +/-650 custom homes currently under construction for which we're providing financing. Average loan size is $800K so maybe not top 1% of 1% but probably above average. I've never had anyone come to me to cash out new construction.

In my experience $1MM mortgage clients ask two questions. What is the minimum down payment? How long can I finance this? They believe in leverage.

It's typical those borrowing for construction have a paid for site which satisfies their equity requirement.
The misinformation in this thread posted as fact is staggering!

You can do a post-closing (delayed financing) mortgage where you pay cash in contemplation of financing later. It doesn't have to impact the rate. If the loan is non-conforming, and especially if the loan will be a portfolio loan, the lender can have it be at market rates. I've personally helped a client execute on at market rate.

This concept can help you buy a house as a "cash buyer" to the seller, helping you be a more competitive offer. Alternatively, it could help stage a short gap between close and an income event.
jja79
AG
You're saying a mortgage loan secured by the equity in homestead property in Texas is not subject to the Texas constitution 50 (a) (6)?

The LLPA matrix of the GSEs clearly differentiates between rate and term and cash out.

As for non-conforming portfolios I suppose such a lender could make that decision but I've not seen one.
Build It
AG
I have a 15 year note because I 1. Have the income to support the payment 2. Wanted the pay-off to coincide with my retirement at 62. 7 years left! There are some reasons to do a 15. My decision was based on making sure I had no debt at retirement.

BBDP
AG
My statement about the wealthy and mortgages was wrong. It's about 40% from what I can find.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.