Business & Investing
Sponsored by

boeing

3,589 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by permabull
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what are you guys doing?
b0ridi
Buying and holding the entire stock market
Duncan Idaho
It is going to take more than a 2% (what it is at the time of posting) drop for me to make a play based soley on this news.
ATM9000
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

It is going to take more than a 2% (what it is at the time of posting) drop for me to make a play based soley on this news.

We were like the 40th country to ground the plane and after Europe... it's down 11% since the crash.
drewbie08
AG
So dump a lot of $ into it or wait and see?
drewbie08
AG
Knowing next to nothing besides reading articles, it might be a training error. If that's the case, Boeing will be hit hard but will recover. If it's more than that...hold on to your butts.
Gilligan
AG
Not comforting to know all but one of my family flew on one of those last night.

I know the SWA pilots are very well trained, but it still gives me the creeps.
akaggie05
AG
Last night? What flight? They were all grounded early yesterday afternoon (flight in the air were allowed to continue to their scheduled destination, but no new departures allowed).

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/Emergency_Order.pdf
Andy07
AG
Boeing and Airbus have 99% market share for large planes (and like 90% for all planes)

1. Does another competitor come in due to this?
2. Does airbus get some edge for new contracts?
3. Or does Boeing fix whatever issues there are and keep chugging along?

I think #3 is the most likely, but I haven't had time to determine if Boeing is under-valued or over-valued after their latest run-up. Still lots of downside to their 52 week low.... maybe a Boeing expert will weigh in though
RogerEnright
ATM9000 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

We were like the 40th country to ground the plane and after Europe... it's down 11% since the crash.
Agreed, and its not even as low as it was in December.
Duncan Idaho
ATM9000 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Fair enough
AgCPA95
AG
The MAX program is estimated to be 1/3 of their revenue and EBITDA over the next 5 years. With the information that was just released on acceleration and flight stability issues with it oscillating up and down, I wouldn't touch it myself right now as I would expect a larger slide, but just my opinion.

NY Time article
YouBet
AG
Oligopoly market with barriers of entry that are unfathomable. They already had a software update in process from Lion Air.

They will be fine.

edit: I own no Boeing stock outright although I assume it could be buried in one of my mutual funds somewhere.
Gilligan
AG
akaggie05,

Yesterday Thursday morning on flight aware there were 78 or so of those planes in the air worldwide. Seven (7) of those were Southwest Airlines.They were all early morning flights originating in the western half of the us and landing before noon.

That is all I have to go off of.

To your original question - Yes, I flew on a grounded plane Wednesday afternoon / evening from Las Vegas to Houston.

Scary to think that a computer program / glitch can fly a plane straight into the ground.
Cassius
I went balls deep into Boeing and made a nice little gain.

Trading at 382 right now.
Cassius
Gilligan said:

akaggie05,

Yesterday Thursday morning on flight aware there were 78 or so of those planes in the air worldwide. Seven (7) of those were Southwest Airlines.They were all early morning flights originating in the western half of the us and landing before noon.

That is all I have to go off of.

To your original question - Yes, I flew on a grounded plane Wednesday afternoon / evening from Las Vegas to Houston.

Scary to think that a computer program / glitch can fly a plane straight into the ground.

Meh, i've written worse code.
permabull
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.