Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Retirement/investing/new job questions

1,336 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willowratio
willowratio
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently started a new job. I am required to contribute 7% of my salary and the employer contributes an additional 12%. My understanding is that at the end of each year they contribute another 7% of the money contributed. Guaranteed return. Vests after 8 years.

I have had a Roth IRA but do not mad it out.

My wife works for the school district and has TRS.

Has an IRA as well.

We have a mortgage and emergency fund of 6 months.

Should we continue with the IRAs or move to something different? My employer also offers a tax advantage plan.

Thanks for any advice.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is there a scaled vesting schedule over those 8 years?
willowratio
AG
No. However, It's a county job, and can move to a different county in Texas and it will continue.
luke_txaggie
AG
willowratio said:

I recently started a new job. I am required to contribute 7% of my salary and the employer contributes an additional 12%. My understanding is that at the end of each year they contribute another 7% of the money contributed. Guaranteed return. Vests after 8 years.

I have had a Roth IRA but do not mad it out.

My wife works for the school district and has TRS.

Has an IRA as well.

We have a mortgage and emergency fund of 6 months.

Should we continue with the IRAs or move to something different? My employer also offers a tax advantage plan.

Thanks for any advice.
Is this a pension you are describing with the county?

If you are not maxing out your IRA's there is no need to look for other investments vehicles. Once you can max out ROTH IRAs, then you should explore employer plans.

I sound like a Dave Ramsey disciple, but it sounds like he might be a good resource for y'all. Look him up.
willowratio
AG
Yes it is a pension.

Thanks for the advice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.