Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Betterment Investment

1,633 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
redass89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any experience with this company?

TIA
Ag13
AG
Been investing with them for a few years. Good company, easy interface, and returns have been in line with markets. No harm in throwing a little bit of money at it to see if you like it. That's how I started, and now the majority of my taxable assets are there. I still keep some in a traditional brokerage account to play around with individual stocks, but, having a big portion at Betterment prevents me from screwing up too bad with stock picking.
ATM9000
AG
Ag13 said:

Been investing with them for a few years. Good company, easy interface, and returns have been in line with markets. No harm in throwing a little bit of money at it to see if you like it. That's how I started, and now the majority of my taxable assets are there. I still keep some in a traditional brokerage account to play around with individual stocks, but, having a big portion at Betterment prevents me from screwing up too bad with stock picking.

Hope you are watching your tax loss harvesting closely in Betterment relative to the rest of your portfolio and don't screw up too bad by inadvertently creating a wash trade.

I like Betterment, but I am not a fan of how little they do to explain general awareness and implications of tax loss harvesting. I really like that feature too as part of their all in product offer... but I don't like how many people I know who have multiple taxable accounts to play stocks and keep some in Betterment too then ask them if they understand the implications of tax loss harvesting and they look at me with a blank stare. A lot of people creating wash trades and don't even know it most likely.
diablo loco
I went with wealthfront after comparing and have been happy.
redass89
My top two I'm considering are Ally and Betterment?

Any other input?
RogerEnright
I was considering putting a bit of money at Interactive Brokers to take advantage of their lower margin interest rates. I had only heard of them from a high level. A little reading up says that their interface isn't terribly pretty, but neither is Vanguards.

Does anyone have money with them?
Duncan Idaho
ATM9000 said:

Ag13 said:

Hope you are watching your tax loss harvesting closely in Betterment relative to the rest of your portfolio and don't screw up too bad by inadvertently creating a wash trade.

I like Betterment, but I am not a fan of how little they do to explain general awareness and implications of tax loss harvesting. I really like that feature too as part of their all in product offer... but I don't like how many people I know who have multiple taxable accounts to play stocks and keep some in Betterment too then ask them if they understand the implications of tax loss harvesting and they look at me with a blank stare. A lot of people creating wash trades and don't even know it most likely.

All of my taxable accounts outside of betterment are used only for single stock trades. Since betterment deals with funds, is this something I need to be worried about?
ATM9000
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

ATM9000 said:

Ag13 said:

All of my taxable accounts outside of betterment are used only for single stock trades. Since betterment deals with funds, is this something I need to be worried about?

Probably not.... but wash trades can be an issue too between taxable and non taxable accounts too. All I'm saying is if you have a substantial amount of assets in Betterment and you are using their tax loss harvesting feature, I'd get a good accountant for taxes annually vs. just hacking thru it with Quicken.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.