Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Looking for a contact at Genesis

1,579 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RightWingConspirator
Summer95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a friend with a Genesis easement in his back yard. The pipeline is abandoned in-place & he wants to arrange to have the easement extinguished & the pipes removed. He's tried contacting them on his own but keeps getting passed along and now they aren't responding at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am also posting this on the Job Network and Real Estate boards.

Thanks!
Waltonloads08
AG
What? I'm confused, your buddy wants a company to give up an asset and pay a bunch of money to do so?

I'm shocked they won't call him back!
dc509
AG
Do they have any legal requirement to do this, or is your buddy just hoping they will? I'm not asking that to be snarky.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Yup, this request has been put at the very bottom of their list of priorities. By bottom, I mean not in the list at all.
dc509
AG
The point to my question was that if they have a legal requirement to do any of this then tell you friend to call the Railroad Commission, and let them know that Genesis is falling down on the job.
deadbq03
deadbq03
AG
I'm more familiar with power line easements, but I believe the situations are similar with pipe.

It depends greatly on the initial terms of expiration for the easement, and sadly, a lot of older deals are "perpetual." Even if the easement is expired, it's my understanding that the landowner is then the one who's financially responsible for removing the pipe.

Regardless, this is not going to be a cheap venture for your friend if he needs the pipe gone. If he doesn't really need it gone but the easement is still enforceable, he could possibly seek a license to regain rights to the easement and indemnify the pipeline company of any safety responsibilities. I know utility companies will sell licenses to use their easements, I would assume pipe works the same. But even with this option, he'll have to pay for the legal fees to draft the license. They're not gonna go out of their way to do it.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Often pipeline companies would prefer to abandon in place. If you have to take the pipe out, that can often open you up to expensive remediation, and in some cases, can reveal toxic pollution, etc. that has to be dealt with; hence, most prefer to abandon in place and let it lie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.