Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Retirement savings accounts options

1,289 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Baby Billy
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since the first thread title was misleading.

So my wife recently quit her full-time job and started doing contract type work but is still a W-2 employee. I don't believe she's going to have the ability to contribute to a 401k. What options do we have?

I currently max out a roth 401k and max an HSA, and she is maxing a roth IRA. She was also contributing 15% to 401k. I know I can max out my roth IRA too but i'd like to see if there are any pre-tax vehicles and what else is out there as adding my IRA still won't cover what she was putting into the 401k.
aggiebrad94
AG
Not sure I follow. Does she have some 1099 income and some W-2 income?

If so, any of the 1099 income can be invested in a SEP-IRA.

I would also push the HR dept of the W-2 income place to allow for the 401(k) contribution.
canadianAg
AG
She does not have any 1099 income, but she still acts like a contractor in that about 5 different health facilities call her when needed and she can say no anytime she wants.
Dazed and Confused
AG
If its earned income, W-2, I would assume a traditional or her roth IRA depending on income.
canadianAg
AG
She already maxes a Roth IRA so looking for something else to replace a 401k (unless we can get the employer to let her contribute as suggested)
Dazed and Confused
AG
Also check if the employer offers a simple-ira, since you are looking for tax deferred options.
Baby Billy
AG
canadianAg said:

She already maxes a Roth IRA so looking for something else to replace a 401k (unless we can get the employer to let her contribute as suggested)

If the employer doesn't offer any kind of retirement and you are maxing out IRA's and an HSA, there's not much else out there for tax-deferred retirement dollars unless you want to buy an annuity or a whole life policy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.