Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Retirement Vehicle Options

1,892 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my wife recently quit her full-time job and started doing contract type work but is still a W-2 employee. I don't believe she's going to have the ability to contribute to a 401k. What options do we have?

I currently max out a roth 401k and max an HSA, and she is maxing a roth IRA. She was also contributing 15% to 401k. I know I can max out my roth IRA too but i'd like to see if there are any pre-tax vehicles and what else is out there as adding my IRA still won't cover what she was putting into the 401k.
Joe Exotic
AG
I thought this was going to be a motor home thread
752bro4
AG
A Prius gets great mileage but looks terrible.
WoMD
Bo Darville said:

I actually did as well. Can the thread title be edited? People who legitimately can help with the OPs questions might not even open the thread based on how it's worded now.

I seriously was expecting something related to post-retirement cross country travel.
coolerguy12
AG
I came here to make a Buick joke, was slightly disappointed.
jwoodmd
752bro4 said:

A Prius gets great mileage but looks terrible.
Ah, yes, the infamous Prius. The car that gets in the left lane and just can't seem to get around and fully pass the car on the right, thus backing up traffic for a mile. Are Prius drivers thinking they are saving the planet by making everyone drive slow.
jwoodmd
WoMD said:

Bo Darville said:

I actually did as well. Can the thread title be edited? People who legitimately can help with the OPs questions might not even open the thread based on how it's worded now.

I seriously was expecting something related to post-retirement cross country travel.
Yep, me too.
nactownag
AG
For a serious reply: if she is w2 I don't believe there's anything else she can do for before tax contributions. If she can receive a 1099 then she could look into a SEP or 401k
FrioAg 00
AG
I actually should read the post and not just the title

62strat
AG
I was gonna say, just buy your last vehicle (a new one) a year or two before you retire, pay it off before retiring, and it should last the rest of your lifetime.

But yeh, that doesn't help OP I suppose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.