Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anybody here have any knowledge of boating business ?

5,347 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggie_fan13
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
was just thinking of some ideas for the possible future, i love the ocean and being around aquatic life. A friend suggested boats. i have no clue how any of that works obviously. any advice would be much appreciated
dlp3719
AG
Trolling? You can't be serious
dlp3719
AG
1) Learn how to manufacturer boats
2) ?????
3) PROFIT
aggie_fan13
AG
honestly not, would love to get insight on it.
dlp3719
AG
A common problem with start ups is people's friends tell them "oh, you're good at making cookies. You should open a bakery." And they probably are really good at making cookies but that's not the same as running a bakery. They open a bakery then they end up hating cookies because of the accounting, managing employees, taking orders, delveries, ordering supplies, maintaining equipment, licenses/inspections.

There is a better than 50/50 chance you ruin what you love as a hobby by starting a business around it.
dlp3719
AG
Opening a boat dealership would take a lot of capital for inventory. Manufacturing boats would be a whole nother level.

Unless you are Elon Musk, you don't wake up and say I'm starting a car company.
aggie_fan13
AG
Look I'm a just a dumb 22 year old kid exploring possible options in the future so if you don't want to contribute that's fine. I would just like some general insight on starting a business
Van Buren Boy
AG
What kind of boat do you have an interest in building? Yachts, cruiseliners, tanker ships, carriers for the DOD? a little more info would help.
SnowboardAg
AG
Find a company that does close to what you want - call the owner and be as genuine in saying you want to learn the business and understand what it's about. Be willing to go work and learn under them for some time (and for free). I know a guy that did just this, developed the relationship, next thing you know - he bought the business. Don't listen to naysayers here.
bmks270
AG
There are a lot of smaller boat builders but it's probably hard to get established without a good network.

If you live in an area with lots of boats, boating upholstery is on high demand. A friend started a boat upholstery business out of his garage with his wife. Literally he just bought some equipment and learned it from you tube.

You can also turn a pontoon boat into a party boat with bar service that people rent. Might be heavily dependent on the type of water and population you're near.

You can buy a handful of boats and rent them. You can also offer a boat club with a monthly membership fee but unlimited rentals.

O'Doyle Rules
AG
I like planes . I want to build them . If the OP spent as much time working towards a career as he does on TexAgs, then he might be successful.
TombstoneTex
AG
With less and less people sailing/boating every year I think this would be a very challenging industry to disrupt. That being said, if you have the capital at 22 please design a fast, sexy one design sailboat with room to sleep two and seat 4... but for about 40K less than these guys do it: Beneteau First 27.

I'll be your first customer!
Ragoo
AG
I bet the OP has never even owned a boat.
Shiner Bock
AG
Bring out another thousand!
aggie_fan13
AG
I was thinking pontoon boats
deadbq03
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Find a company that does close to what you want - call the owner and be as genuine in saying you want to learn the business and understand what it's about. Be willing to go work and learn under them for some time (and for free). I know a guy that did just this, developed the relationship, next thing you know - he bought the business. Don't listen to naysayers here.
This. Or something close to this. At 22 you can afford to take risks.

I squandered my 20s in the military and then lame government jobs that I didn't like. I took the safe route and wish I could do it over again. (Yes hero-worshippers, most folks who join the military are like me and pick it because it's the ultimate in job security... life security, not so much, but you never have to worry about paychecks, benefits, or career progression. I actually consider it to be a very safe choice for people who really don't know what they want to do. I digress.) But I discovered what I liked around 30 and punched the reset button... and it's worked out well for me.

My point: you have time to make mistakes. You don't have to have your life figured out at 22. If you think boats might be your thing, chase it and find out... and the first step is to get your foot in the door in the industry, even if that means sweeping their floors for awhile.
62strat
AG
Are you sure you didn't mishear your friend and he really just said 'you should try motorboating?'
aggie_fan13
AG
yes im sure
aggie_fan13
AG
and you would be correct ,kudos
MAS444
AG
Have you ever manufactured a boat? Have you ever owned or sold a boat?
aggie_fan13
AG
no
aggie_fan13
AG
trust me thats one of my habits im trying to kick, spending less time on here. if it makes you feel better this is the only "social media" im active on
diehard03
Quote:

A common problem with start ups is people's friends tell them "oh, you're good at making cookies. You should open a bakery."

This is usually shut down pretty quick with the "sweet, how many packages can sell you today?"
The Lost
SnowboardAg said:

This is the best serious/positive advice. If there is a specific industry/job that really interest you, try to find a way in, even if it is entry level or worse. The best way to understand building boats? Work as a guy on the line. Then you'll have more access to different parts of the business and understand how to financially make something work.

Also, you should read a ton about business too. From your acumen you're not remotely near ready for something like this.
aggie_fan13
AG
yea not even close, just want to get my feet wet
Ragoo
AG
azulAg said:

yea not even close, just want to get my feet wet
where are you located? What type of craft interest you?
aggie_fan13
AG
Right now in college station, graduating in August. I was looking at pontoon boats and such. Speed boats would be cool but I have to start off somewhere
Dr. Horrible
dlp3719 said:

A common problem with start ups is people's friends tell them "oh, you're good at making cookies. You should open a bakery." And they probably are really good at making cookies but that's not the same as running a bakery. They open a bakery then they end up hating cookies because of the accounting, managing employees, taking orders, delveries, ordering supplies, maintaining equipment, licenses/inspections.

There is a better than 50/50 chance you ruin what you love as a hobby by starting a business around it.
This hit me right in the feels... Good thing I had a couple other hobbies to keep me sane...

I've seriously never understood the "find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" people. I find a job I love and end up hating it later on.
mhayden
I think one of the steps is to buy a pony.
Ragoo
AG
azulAg said:

Right now in college station, graduating in August. I was looking at pontoon boats and such. Speed boats would be cool but I have to start off somewhere

If you are serious I would do two of three things.

1) get a "real" job
2) get a job at a marina doing whatever. Parts inventory, service, sweeping the shop, sales, whatever.
3) buy a beat up pontoon boat for a grand or so, minimal investment. And put money into fixing it up. Take the entire boat a part. Mechanical systems, electrical systems, drive system, etc. rebuild the craft front the pontoons up. Track all of your hours times a reasonable hourly rate and every single dollar. Then try and sell it. See if you can get a 30% margin over the invested time and money. I did say margin, not cost * 30%. They are different calculations.
Guitarsoup
AG
dlp3719 said:

Am a photographer, can confirm
jwoodmd
Guitarsoup said:

dlp3719 said:

Am a photographer, can confirm
So, you're saying you don't take a lot of family vacation photos anymore.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Finding a job in a field you like maybe more important than making a hobby like baking or photography or boating into a job.

The safe way is to go try to work for a big company in that field, doing literally anything to get your foot in door and get exposure to the business as a whole, then find something you might like, but don't waste a ton of time figuring it out, don't get trapped doing something you hate.
Duncan Idaho
dlp3719 said:

Opening a boat dealership would take a lot of capital for inventory. Manufacturing boats would be a whole nother level.

Unless you are Elon Musk, you don't wake up and say I'm starting a car company.

Remember that Elon didn't even start tesla. He was brought on by the engineers that initially founded it as part of the series A round of funding.
atmtws
AG
It's sink or swim.
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.