Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Question for those with an office

2,912 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stive
Truman2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How often do you keep your door closed?
Rarely
Every time your on a call
Never
Only when on private call
All the time
Varies
cgh1999
AG
Pulled 90% shut, All the time. Only because of proximity to a bullpen area full of loud people.
TombstoneTex
AG
Only when on private call
Ragoo
AG
When I had an office it varied. Default was open but situationally closed.
AgCPA95
AG
When on a private/confidential call it is shut. Then it has varying degrees of closure based on if you can interrupt me or not as we have very open door culture of barging in never asking if someone has a second. 1/3 closed is i'm heads down and working or on Texags but come in, 2/3 closed is this better be fairly important, fully pulled to, but not latched is I'm here but the building better be on fire if you interrupt me.

cjo03
AG
Only when on a private call or heads-down on something requiring focus
FincAg
AG
Normally wide open but I close it for when I have conference calls, when my wife calls and we are talking about something the office has no business knowing about, a headhunter calls, or I need to get some serious work done.

For the most part it is open though. We have Skype phone and video services with other offices so when I am on those quick calls I don't bother getting up unless it is sensitive information. It is all on speakerphones so I just keep it at a low volume.
The Wonderer
AG
  • Any time I have a phone call
  • Lunch
  • Bullpen being too rowdy to focus
  • Doc review
Tumble Weed
Private calls or a really important project lasting less than 4 hours.

I am grateful not to be in a cubicle and in a real office with real sheet rock and a wooden door. Cubes are one of the worst things that you can do to a human.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
everytime i need a nap!
Tumble Weed
Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!
We have two guys that like to take a siesta everyday, but both are in their 70's. One has a couch in the office, the other supposedly lays out a mat on the floor. It is understood not to disturb them an hour after lunch.
jja79
AG
Only closed when I'm going to have the phone on speaker, when I'm watching a recruiting video or highlights from an Aggie game.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
99% of the time my office door gets closed is when someone walks into my office and shuts it behind them.

The 1% of the time is when I'm opening the package of a bottle of bourbon I've received in the mail or showing someone something like a new gun I've bought.
diehard03
Quote:

I am grateful not to be in a cubicle and in a real office with real sheet rock and a wooden door. Cubes are one of the worst things that you can do to a human.

I disagree. I think done right, it's one of the best things for a human.

Done right means sight lines to other humans, entrances/exits that allow for easy socialization and adequate places for personal space when needed.
rlb28
AG
Never
AggieFrog
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I disagree. I think done right, it's one of the best things for a human.

Done right means sight lines to other humans, entrances/exits that allow for easy socialization and adequate places for personal space when needed.

Cubicles are okay. I dread us moving to completely open offices.
claym711
AG
This thread is a great reminder of how bad corporate life sucks :P
suburban cowboy
AG
- When I'm on a call
- Lunch
- When I'm really trying to focus

I would keep mine closed all the time but I feel it's a bad look. Although, my office does have a pane of glass from floor to ceiling next to it.
diehard03
Quote:

Cubicles are okay. I dread us moving to completely open offices.

As usual, the devil is in the details. We have offices where it's basically just flat tables, and it's awful. In our particular office, they are essentially like half cubes but also lots of little unbookable "enclaves" for you to step into whenever you need. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it all works.
62strat
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Private calls or a really important project lasting less than 4 hours.

I have sheetrock walls for my cubicle hah.

But, my cubicle is like 120sf (roughly 11x11)., so it may not be your typical cubicle. It's a U shape, with an 11'x3' slab of worktop on either side of me. My 'chair' area is 5'x7', which is probably the the entire size of the average cubicle.

I'm in construction and work with 42"x30" plans daily, so whoever built our building (oh yeh.. we did) designed the cubicles accordingly.
62strat
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Although, my office does have a pane of glass from floor to ceiling next to it.
*A sidelight.
Loaded
AG
Closed and locked 100%. However, I'm just a 1-man self employed business, so I don't need to interact with the others in my office building.
Broba Fett
Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!
We have two guys that like to take a siesta everyday, but both are in their 70's. One has a couch in the office, the other supposedly lays out a mat on the floor. It is understood not to disturb them an hour after lunch.

This needs to be standard practice. Meetings at 1 PM are the absolute worst after lunch. Everyone should get their 30 minute lunch break + 1 hour nap, 30 minutes to ease back into it, and meeting marathons resume at 2.
The Wonderer
AG
Broba Fett said:

Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!

This needs to be standard practice. Meetings at 1 PM are the absolute worst after lunch. Everyone should get their 30 minute lunch break + 1 hour nap, 30 minutes to ease back into it, and meeting marathons resume at 2.
Yep. My meeting schedule is typically 10a-12p and 2p-5p.
Truman2001
AG
The Wonderer said:

Broba Fett said:

Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!

Wrong, no meetings after 4.
Tumble Weed
Broba Fett said:

Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!

Hey guys, I got a great idea! I will just use the company credit card to order pizza, and then we can meet in a conference room from 12 to 1 since everyone is booked from 8-12 and 1-5 .......

The Wonderer
AG
nYRabAg said:

The Wonderer said:

Broba Fett said:

Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!

62strat
AG
nYRabAg said:

The Wonderer said:

Broba Fett said:

Tumble Weed said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

everytime i need a nap!

And none after noon on Friday.
Stive
AG
Door is only closed when I'm on the phone with a client or when/if there's a sizable amount of noise outside my office for reason and I'm trying to focus.

Otherwise...wide open.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.