Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Wells Fargo

5,584 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by insulator_king
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone still bank with Wells Fargo? The entire system, including transactions in branches, has been down for at least the last 8 hours. I've heard/seen reports of cards getting declined, direct deposits being rejected by Wells Fargo, auto bill-pays not being processed, etc, and the only communication from Wells Fargo is that they are experiencing "intermittent" outages and the apologize for the inconvenience. Complete BS.

I've been with them since the mid-90's just because it is such a pain to change banks, but after today's issues I'm considering going through the hassle to do it. Are any banks better than others? What is everyone's consensus on best bank and why?

TIA
TXTransplant
I use them for my day-to-day banking - bill pay, direct deposit of my paycheck, etc. But I haven't tried to do anything today - not even log into my account.

I hope I didn't have any bills scheduled to auto pay today.

You'd think with something that severe, they would send out notices to their customers (maybe an email). I haven't gotten anything.
woodyhayes
Anything is better than W.F. Pick a local credit union.
DallasAggie0
They were literally defrauding their customers on a large scale and only got like a 500 million fine. Banks are corrupt.
CBarrett12
AG
WF customer here since '04. Had a direct deposit hit today and used my debit card a couple times. No issues.
Beerosch
AG
I logged into my account this morning and my paycheck wasn't showing it was deposited. When I call Wells Fargo my available balance includes my paycheck amount, but online says different. I've been on hold waiting to talk to someone for over an hour so I'm guessing they're ****ing a lot of other people too.
Aggie_2463
AG
Yeah, says mobile banking is down when I try to use the app.... and I logged in online and it doesn't show my paycheck was deposited last night....

I called the number it gave me when the app login failed and it told me my account balance (included my paycheck deposit) but the online site doesn't reflect it. They just may take some time to get it updating right
Aggie_2463
AG
Beerosch said:

I logged into my account this morning and my paycheck wasn't showing it was deposited. When I call Wells Fargo my available balance includes my paycheck amount, but online says different. I've been on hold waiting to talk to someone for over an hour so I'm guessing they're ****ing a lot of other people too.
Could you update me on what they tell you?
Beerosch
AG
My call was disconnected
59 South
AG
Same issues for me. Both app and website down. Looked about 6:30 this morning and my paycheck wasn't showing.
0708aggie
AG
Same issues for me as well. Paycheck didn't show around 6 this morning. Just logged in and it showed as available, but then the whole website crashed.
evestor1
Glad I found this thread!

I am in final stages of closing a loan...and all they need is one effing statement from wells fargo account i have. Since 8am yesterday their site has not worked.

Driving me crazy!
oldarmy1
AG
Their branches are open and they are saying the online system is SLOWLY coming back on. Most can log in but can't click on an account at this point. It's one of the institutions we use for CEO Portal wire transfers and such.

Really another black eye on a troubled bank.
M.C. Swag
AG
I wouldn't bank with WF if I were some of you. That's literally the worst thing that can happen to a bank...customers who can't access their funds.
TexAg2001
AG
Wow, my original post was yesterday morning. I'm seeing now that a lot of y'all responses are from today. I guess I was fortunate that I was able to start accessing my accounts again yesterday afternoon. It has been slow for me this morning and mobile app is down, but I'm able to get in on the computer.

Shiner Bock
AG
i use Schwab. Free checking, good mobile app, full reimbursement to any ATM worldwide.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I haven't tried today. But it crashed on Monday too.

Edit: it's down for me as well. I'm thinking about switching banks.
TwoMarksHand
AG
woodyhayes said:

Anything is better than W.F. Pick a local credit union.
What is the advantage of a local credit union? Genuinely curious.
aggiebrad94
AG
I work for them. Yesterday was an awful day. It's easy to lob stones at a big, bad corporation. Please remember that there are thousands of employees who love their jobs and making people's financial lives better. It was crushing to them yesterday that they had to send people away. The worse thing for any bank is to have problems with the movement of other people's money and the ones I work with took it very personally.
0708aggie
AG
Anyone being told whats going on? Twitter shows a data center issue, but how the hell is there no plan to get this back up asap.
M.C. Swag
AG
0708aggie said:

Anyone being told whats going on? Twitter shows a data center issue, but how the hell is there no plan to get this back up asap.
It's a massive F-up. Banks (should) have multiple redundancies to prevent this exact type of thing. It's absolutely baffling how this happened for a single moment, let alone a full day+.
IrishTxAggie
AG
So will Wells go cover any issues or costs incurred from this colossal f-up? Because from everything I've read so far, this is affecting a lot of people trying to pay bills and transfer money.

No offense, but Wells track record is **** when it comes to taking responsibility for its "little oopsies"
0708aggie
AG
So anyone shorting WFC or looking at puts? I can see alot of people taking their cash and moving elsewhere. (I'm seriously considering doing so)
aggietony2010
AG
Not playing the market on it, but as soon as things are back up and running, I'm downloading 2 years of transactions, determining what I have that's recurring (incoming or outgoing), and beginning to move things over to be paid from another account.

I'll probably move everything to my Chase account, or move things to a Schwab online account.
oldarmy1
AG
0708aggie said:

So anyone shorting WFC or looking at puts? I can see alot of people taking their cash and moving elsewhere. (I'm seriously considering doing so)
My CFO has a meeting with them Monday. We'll stick with them if they pony up (pun intended) some added benefits, i.e. reduced or eliminated wire fees for a month. The Business Services Fee they charge for nothing more than sending a statement and wire fees (most banks do this) can take a little off the top.
aggiebrad94
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

So will Wells go cover any issues or costs incurred from this colossal f-up? Because from everything I've read so far, this is affecting a lot of people trying to pay bills and transfer money.

No offense, but Wells track record is **** when it comes to taking responsibility for its "little oopsies"
Absolutely. From our executive communications:
Quote:

As you would expect, we will do right by our clients and reverse any Wells Fargo fees that may have been charged as a result of the outage.
And, I joined WF after the issues and have watched countless interviews, personal interactions, and new policies that were proof of taking responsibility. Having worked for Credit Unions, Citi, and now WF, I have been impressed by how much responsibility they have taken and their cultural changes because of it.
WoMD
aggiebrad94 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Absolutely. From our executive communications:
Quote:

As you would expect, we will do right by our clients and reverse any Wells Fargo fees that may have been charged as a result of the outage.
And, I joined WF after the issues and have watched countless interviews, personal interactions, and new policies that were proof of taking responsibility. Having worked for Credit Unions, Citi, and now WF, I have been impressed by how much responsibility they have taken and their cultural changes because of it.

But what about late payments or fees incurred from other parties because a transaction did not occur as a result of this mess? Who gives a **** about Wells Fargo fees here? That really should go without saying. The issue comes from the results of this situation. Late fees from utilities, late rent, bounced checks, etc.

This hasn't impacted me personally, but I'm sure with the volume of customers you have there will be a few who are dealing with the fallout of this mess. Thankfully I sold my business, so I don't use you guys for that account anymore, but I would've been a bit peeved if I still used that account. My volume with you was massive and screwing up a day of transactions would've been significant. What about merchant services through you? Was that impacted. If so, talk about a disaster...
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

The issue comes from the results of this situation. Late fees from utilities, late rent, bounced checks, etc.
It is our understanding that these scenarios fall under "do right by the customer."
IrishTxAggie
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

The issue comes from the results of this situation. Late fees from utilities, late rent, bounced checks, etc.
It is our understanding that these scenarios fall under "do right by the customer."

"Do right by the customer" is open to interpretation. I imagine once the dust settles and the lawyers have their way, it will be "no costs incurred FROM WF"
WoMD
IrishTxAggie said:

aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

"Do right by the customer" is open to interpretation. I imagine once the dust settles and the lawyers have their way, it will be "no costs incurred FROM WF"

Exactly. That's the way I interpreted the executive communication mentioned. They might actually do the right thing, but unfortunately there's no way to know for sure at this point, and to be honest there's no reason to believe they might actually do so. This is a bank, after all. It depends on how desperate they are by the situation.

Now, to be fair, I've had good experiences for the most part from Wells Fargo. Yes, they've imposed some fees over the years and changed account structure without telling me, but these were easily resolved and reversed. Of course, I was a pretty big account, so they had to keep me happy. I guess I have to hope they'd treat everyone the same way at the end of the day.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Bank of America for 18 years until moving to Arizona in 1999 where BofA did not exist. Started with WF in 1999, 3 mortgages in 3 different states and checking account, never had an issue. Moved to Minnesota in 2003 and they gave me a zero down/no PMI mortgage - not sure how or why they did it and I didn't ask - but it was great! Years later did a refi and we got crossways in the negotiation. I found a loophole and exploited it with them privately and told them I'd go public with it within 24 hours - they gave me my deal and their programmers changed their mortgage quote system in 3 days to close the loophole - saved them multi-millions. Just wished I'd have kept my WF MC or Visa with them starting in the 80's - they had a cheap WF stock share purchase plan for cardholders....I dropped the card and messed that one up. And,...WF didn't throw the NRA under the bus. They're okay in my book.
cheeky
AG
This event was a complete failsafe shutdown of a major data center. While rare, it can and does happen at virtually all large businesses. Still it's embarrassing and unacceptable and it's a customer's right to be dissatisfied. The redundancy plan, in fact, did work. But delays are inevitable. I'm confident WF will be extending Good Will to all those who feel impacted, both real and imagined.

Here's a tip for everyone that didn't already know better. Don't limit yourself to one financial institution. You should have at least two checking accounts, debit cards and credit cards. You know, a redundancy plan? Systems go down all the time. But if it makes anyone feel better, let's all agree to blame Brad
TwoMarksHand
AG
Stagecoach said:

This event was a complete failsafe shutdown of a major data center. While rare, it can and does happen at virtually all large businesses. Still it's embarrassing and unacceptable and it's a customer's right to be dissatisfied. The redundancy plan, in fact, did work. But delays are inevitable. I'm confident WF will be extending Good Will to all those who feel impacted, both real and imagined.

Here's a tip for everyone that didn't already know better. Don't limit yourself to one financial institution. You should have at least two checking accounts, debit cards and credit cards. You know, a redundancy plan? Systems go down all the time. But if it makes anyone feel better, let's all agree to blame Brad
On the Brad hat train...

aggiebrad94
AG
uhhhhh

Actually I'm on the Wealth Advisors side. Please don't blame me for bank systems (unless you invest a few millions with me first).
Furlock Bones
AG
only reason i have wells fargo anything is because they buy up my mortgage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.