Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Work sponsored 401K vs Roth 401K

3,772 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieFrog
Dwjdvm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My work offers both a regular 401K and Roth 401K with matching that can go into either of them. I know the concepts between them, pre tax vs post tax, pay taxes now or pay taxes later. My original thought was doing the Roth, but I was hoping to get some of your opinions on which route you would choose and why. Thanks
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
The answer is entirely different for each individuals circumstances. The general rule of thumb is to expect income and tax rates to rise over time, so better to pay now via Roth. There are situations in high income households where pre-tax makes sense if you are already in a high tax bracket. Your 401K provider should have some tools to let you predict your income in retirement based on your current savings rate and make suggestions from there. The one thing no one can predict, however, is what tax rates will be 10, 20, 30, 50 years from now. So all analysis will have some element of uncertainty.

Harkrider 93
AG
It primarily comes down to what bracket are you in today VS what bracket you will be in when you retire.

We are at extremely low taxes now and I can't imagine that we stay here for long. I did say that after the Bush cuts and here we are lower.

Are you willing to spend less in retirement so you can retire early, then do the pretax.

Are you retiring at a more normal time frame so you can spend more money in retirement, then do the Roth.
You may also work longer to help pay for college or b/c health care costs are more than you can stomach.

Best scenario is to max out the pretax and then max out the Roth.

OR
up to the match on pretax and roth the rest.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Dwjdvm said:

My work offers both a regular 401K and Roth 401K with matching that can go into either of them. I know the concepts between them, pre tax vs post tax, pay taxes now or pay taxes later. My original thought was doing the Roth, but I was hoping to get some of your opinions on which route you would choose and why. Thanks
Not regarding your original question... I am about 100% sure the match will go in the regular bucket whether you defer regular or Roth. It shouldn't impact your decision, but want to make sure you had this right in your mind. Sometimes company contributions can go to an after-tax bucket, but that is somewhat rare.
Premium
AG
Wouldn't you want pretax money in investments ASAP? You see, even if you pay higher tax rates later in life, the investments would have grown substantially more if you are able to put more of it into investments earlier. Basically, not paying taxes now = more ROI = no worries for higher taxes later, because you more than make it up with higher compounded returns over time.
Dwjdvm
AG
Thanks for the heads up. The benefits person at my work said that the Roth match would go into the Roth account, but I will double check with the actual company it is with first.
Dwjdvm
AG
I've had someone tell me this before, but I don't fully understand. My thought process is if I was going to put $500 in after tax, wouldn't it grow the same as $500 pre tax? Is it that most of the time it's decided on percentage so they are comparing $500 pre tax to $400 after tax?
BIMS O1
AG
By law, all employee match must got to the traditional 401k account.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Harkrider 93
AG
Dwjdvm said:

Thanks for the heads up. The benefits person at my work said that the Roth match would go into the Roth account, but I will double check with the actual company it is with first.
I was shocked to see this before on someone's statement. I thought the match had to go to pretax.
Harkrider 93
AG
Dwjdvm said:

I've had someone tell me this before, but I don't fully understand. My thought process is if I was going to put $500 in after tax, wouldn't it grow the same as $500 pre tax? Is it that most of the time it's decided on percentage so they are comparing $500 pre tax to $400 after tax?
Once, I saw a great argument about why everyone should do a Roth 401. Their premise was that most people will invest the exact same amount in either account (pre or Roth). The Roth would be tax free and the other is taxed.

Number nerds will tell you that your take home is larger with the pretax. This is true, but rarely do folks take that tax savings and invest it. They spend it. The author felt that a Roth 401k is best for the masses because they are not disciplined.

Yes to your question.
Premium
AG
Dwjdvm said:

Yeah, say you have $500 pretax dollars to work with - or $400 post-tax dollars.

Say that extra $100 gets to make you money for 30 years - say 7% for 30 years. Well, that turns into an EXTRA $700+. So even if you're taxed at a higher rate that $700 will easily cushion you against the higher rate.
Stasco
AG
Premium said:

Dwjdvm said:

Say that extra $100 gets to make you money for 30 years - say 7% for 30 years. Well, that turns into an EXTRA $700+. So even if you're taxed at a higher rate that $700 will easily cushion you against the higher rate.

Try running the actual math. If your marginal tax rate is the same now as it will be when you retire, then the two options are equivalent. So the relevant question is, when will your marginal tax rate be lower? Now or when you retire.

Or did you really think that countless professional investment advisors were just too dumb to realize the Roth method is a ripoff?
Premium
AG
Stasco said:

Premium said:

Dwjdvm said:

Try running the actual math. If your marginal tax rate is the same now as it will be when you retire, then the two options are equivalent. So the relevant question is, when will your marginal tax rate be lower? Now or when you retire.

Or did you really think that countless professional investment advisors were just too dumb to realize the Roth method is a ripoff?

Then why would anyone use a 1031 Exchange? Isn't that the same concept? What I'm saying is, I'd rather pay taxes later.
JSKolache
AG
Roth always, unless/until your incomes ages you out. Earnings arent taxed in a Roth.
James09
AG
Premium said:

Stasco said:

Premium said:

Dwjdvm said:

Then why would anyone use a 1031 Exchange? Isn't that the same concept? What I'm saying is, I'd rather pay taxes later.
Stasco is exactly right. The growth on the money you didn't pay in taxes is negated by having to pay taxes on all of your gains. The math is pretty simple.
Using your example:
Assume the $100 grew into $700 after 30 years.
That means the other $400 would grow into $2800 over the same time period.
If you invest $400 in a Roth account, in 30 years you have $2800 and owe no taxes.
If you invest $500 in a pretax account, in 30 years you have $3500, but owe taxes.
If your marginal rate at retirement is the same as when the money went in (20%), you owe $700 in taxes and take home $2800.
If your marginal rates are the same, you end up with exactly the same take home. The tricky part is predicting what your marginal rate in retirement would actually be.
ARCHag08
Traditional 401k = contribution deducted at top income bracket. Distributions taxed at your progressive tax bracket. This could be 0% or 10% or 20% depending on your level of retirement income. Plus you can use the tax savings for other things now.

Roth 401k = contribution not tax deductible. Lose tax savings of entire contribution at highest income bracket. Distributions tax free. But some of those distributions would have been taxed at 0%. Some at 10%, and some higher depending on retirement income levels.

Due to the progressive tax system and how deductions work vs income taxed there is an arbitrage opportunity. Pay into the traditional 401k now. Wait. Profit with proper retirement tax planning.
Premium
AG
James09 said:

Premium said:

Stasco said:

Premium said:

Dwjdvm said:

Stasco is exactly right. The growth on the money you didn't pay in taxes is negated by having to pay taxes on all of your gains. The math is pretty simple.
Using your example:
Assume the $100 grew into $700 after 30 years.
That means the other $400 would grow into $2800 over the same time period.
If you invest $400 in a Roth account, in 30 years you have $2800 and owe no taxes.
If you invest $500 in a pretax account, in 30 years you have $3500, but owe taxes.
If your marginal rate at retirement is the same as when the money went in (20%), you owe $700 in taxes and take home $2800.
If your marginal rates are the same, you end up with exactly the same take home. The tricky part is predicting what your marginal rate in retirement would actually be.

Thanks for the details! Makes perfect sense now.
GigEm81
AG
The answer does depend on your circumstances. However, most people's tax rates are lower when they retire than when they are working. If you expect this will be the case for you, then you want to max out the regular 401K, then the Roth.

In fact the order for me would be (this assumes you have adequate emergency cash outside of investment funds):

HSA (if available to you. Triple tax free. Don't use for current health care expenses. Save for retirement health costs)
401K or traditional IRA
Roth 401k or Roth IRA
Taxable
evan_aggie
AG
GigEm81 said:

The answer does depend on your circumstances. However, most people's tax rates are lower when they retire than when they are working. If you expect this will be the case for you, then you want to max out the regular 401K, then the Roth.

In fact the order for me would be (this assumes you have adequate emergency cash outside of investment funds):

HSA (if available to you. Triple tax free. Don't use for current health care expenses. Save for retirement health costs)
401K or traditional IRA
Roth 401k or Roth IRA
Taxable

All true with the other variable: will tax rates change as we shift to more and more socio-economic "equality"? If US resembles most European tax systems in 20-30 years...
Pahdz
if I'm reading this right, no matter how you split it, the maximum aggregate contribution an individual can make in both a 401k and Roth 401k is $19,000, correct?
Mustang1
AG
Yep
HoustonAg2014
AG
I max my traditional 401k then max my Roth IRA. If I maxed my Roth 401k I would not be able to contribute to my Roth IRA. As soon as I can no longer contribute to the Roth IRA, I will consider switching to a Roth 401k.

It will depend on if I have investment opportunities come up (commercial real estate deals, ect).
evan_aggie
AG
That doesn't make sense to me. As stated above, think you can max out to $19k in any mix of your choosing.

Ridge14
I think he's saying he needs to lower his income by contributing to traditional 401k to bring him below the roth ira phase out
TXTransplant
Ridge14 said:

I think he's saying he needs to lower his income by contributing to traditional 401k to bring him below the roth ira phase out

Except there really is no phase out for the Roth IRA. If you're above the income limits, just open and contribute to a traditional IRA with after tax money and roll it over to your Roth before you earn any gains.

Did my first rollover last year. It really is as stupid-easy as it sounds. The only hiccup was trying to figure out how to handle it correctly in TurboTax.

Makes me wonder why there are any income limits on the Roth, when it's so easy to get around them.
Stive
AG
Stasco said:

Premium said:

Dwjdvm said:

AggieFrog
AG
Well, countless financial professionals think they can beat the market year after year, yet we also know this is extremely unlikely for anyone over long stretches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.