Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Oil Field Recycle & Trash

2,128 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag CPA
WeekendHack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I currently work in O&G out in West Texas. I've seen a lot of rig sites that have trash trailers and everything gets thrown in there, from broken mud pump parts to bolts and cut off casing.

Anyone have any insight on starting a scrap haul off business on the side? I think it could be lucrative to set a trailer or roll off skid at different wells and have them fill it with scrap.
birdman
The rig hands will sell the scrap metal for themselves to throw a bbq and beer party.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
WeekendHac said:

Anyone have any insight on starting a scrap haul off business on the side? I think it could be lucrative to set a trailer or roll off skid at different wells and have them fill it with scrap.

You can make money doing this, but there are some 'gotchas'.

If you're just looking for scrap metal, you don't need people using your dumpsters as general 'trash' containers that you're going to have to sort through. The labor will kill your profits. Enforcing those rules when you're not on site will be tough, although if it happened once, I'd probably threaten to just pull the dumpster from that site.

If you're looking for general trash haul off, you've got to be concerned that you're not picking up Hazmat with it. Even on non-oilfield sites I've seen people stuff all kinds of no-no's in dumpsters and my buddy in the trash roll-off dumpster biz says he gets checked frequently at the landfill on the loads he brings in.

Maybe in west Texas they're more prone to being lenient than they are here in Central Texas. Maybe not.

I'm not saying you can't have policies in place to protect yourself from these concerns, just that you probably need to address them in advance.

Good luck. A lot of money has been made over the years in the trash business.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Scrap irons what, $0.05/ pound? As stated above, with all of the trash good get in the recycle trailer and vice versa, you're going to have a lot of labor to sort. Might be better off looking at a scoring facility to just cull out the desired recyclables before you go to the dump.

Where's the value? The cash for the recyclable material or the reduced tonnage you pay for at the dump?
WeekendHack
Good point, I just wanted to get some opinions. I've seen other roll-offs on multiple locations, just wasn't sure if anyone had any insight into this. It might be more headache than beer money.
dc509
AG
Scrap iron would be tough for all of the reasons listed above, but I do know a man who made a boatload of money hauling trash from locations in the 90s. He sold in the early 2000s in the $10-$15MM range when one of the major service companies was gobbling up everything they could get their hands on. Started by himself with one truck and trailer, and grew it over 10+ years to a pretty good sized operation.
Ag CPA
AG
Opened a thread called "Oil field trash" expecting something different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.