Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Why aren't you camping in Texas State Parks?

2,619 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PFG
TRaww
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Your idea has generated interest, but we have sponsors that pay for advertising on our website and we owe it to them to be diligent about advertising.
Please contact us concerning commercial advertising. Thank you. - Staff]
gig em 02
Because it's hunting season and I don't want to get shot by a mouth breather.
Duncan Idaho
Good luck!

O could see something like this being a hit in some place like the bay area or the northeast.

Places where people enjoy being out doors, there are places to go but people don't have the place to store the equipment and renting it is a general hassle.
2012Ag
AG
I like this idea
cgh1999
AG
After setting up in the dark Friday and tearing down today, this is an idea I can support!!
Ogre09
AG
I like this idea. Just some questions I'm sure you've already considered.

Which parks will you cover?

How will you staff this?

Where will you store your materials?

Have you considered including chairs? Firewood? Food and drinks?

How much will you charge for a setup? Will you you require a deposit to ensure materials are returned in good condition?

Do you handle reserving the camping spot, or will the renter do that? Do you have a good booking app or webpage? TPWD booking site is garbage.

How far in advance will people need to book with you? Will you offer last minute booking deals? How will you handle cancellations?
Hanrahan
AG
I think you will be sadly very surprised at the condition your equipment will be returned, and I also think you are nuts to not require a deposit. People treat stuff owned by other like absolute garbage.
Ogre09
AG
I think covering all the state parks may be a stretch. It's a big state, and some state parks are less popular. But it would be cool to say you offer services everywhere.

Agree with poster above on the trusting people. Maybe not a deposit, but include good contract verbiage to be able to charge their card on file to account for damages.

The separate booking seems tedious, but you did address the future integration plans.

Marketing seems like an interesting challenge also. What are your plans there?
TRaww
AG
I have worked for an outdoor outfitter for the past two summers leading camping trips in Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Parks. Cleaning the equipment is typically the biggest task when reviewing returned inventory with minor maintenance needed. Consider also that the company that is furnishing our equipment is offering a warranty to cover all repairs and replacements. While there is no deposit required at this time, there is verbage in the terms and conditions agreement that subject the customer to additional fees charged to their card on file in the event of damaged equipment.
TRaww
AG
We recognize getting in the smaller parks could present a staffing and storage predictament however we have created this business in conjunction with TPWD and will continue to work together toward this common goal. We are working together to maximize the service. While there is no deposit required at this time- there is verbiage included in the terms and conditions agreement that subjects the customer to additional charges to their card on file in the event of damaged equipment.
Southside AG
AG
Good luck, I love taking my family camping.
kingj3
AG
I've been following this company for awhile, and I continued to be impressed! Good Bull!
culdeus
AG
Having been to a dozen parks your competition is really RVshare these days. Pure tent camping seems on the downswing.
texan12
What about primitive camping set ups? Some food and recipes along with pots and pans would be interesting. Not sure how easy bringing food out would be, though.
tlepoC
AG
From my perspective, it's because of the serious lack of primitive camping in this state.
TRaww
AG
We do supply a camp stove, propane, pots pans and cooking utensils with our package- and there are plans to partner with a certain grocery giant in Texas to offer preselected meals for purchase. Staring simply, then following the market.
TRaww
AG
There are over 500 campsites in Garner State Park alone, and 95 state parks and natural areas in Texas.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Why aren't you camping in Texas State Parks?

Bc there are too few parks and too many people. Any park within a 2 hour drive of an urban center has become overrun and unenjoyable. Who likes long wait times at check in, lack of facilities, and having to hover over a computer screen 1 year in advance to try and reserve good spots at the nice parks on weekends between March and October?

Not this guy.

I want to camp to get away from the crowds, not join them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.