Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Part time Engineering

1,354 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamc93
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it possible to contract engineer yourself out for 5-10 hours a week and work from home? I have looked into Upwork and it seems decent. Has anyone ever worked part time as an engineer? How do you find side jobs like this? I have a full time 40 hour a week job and I wouldn't mind working more but we don't get any extra for working extra because it is not expected.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
As a software engineer, I've looked at it before, but it seemed like you'd be doing work for an amount that just wasn't worth it to me for the amount of time it would take.

I never dug into it too deeply, so hopefully, somebody else can provide more info.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
What state? In Texas you need a PE License, firm number, probably insurance. Probably true for most states in some form. You can make some decent money doing it, depending on the industry.

Edit - also, does your employer have a moonlighting policy (especially if you use a PE License in your profession).
07&09Ag
What the above poster said.

Note the Texas firm registration is pretty simple and cost $25. I did this a few years back when I was approached by someone. Was actually just an owners engineer reviewing a licensed engineers work and confirming pay apps. Did the one job and then let everything expire as I really didnt and still don't intend try and make any true gig out of it. Not sure how you could go about finding one off jobs but it seems like it would be a headache.

Lone Stranger
Lots of engineers "consult" part time while having other 40 hr per week engineering jobs. For design, plan review, etc. the PE license becomes mandatory. For other things not related to design then maybe not so much. I've met a lot of utility engineers (gas and electric) that work for a large company and then moonlight doing small design jobs for electricians, contractors, etc. who need an occasional set of engineering plans. I've met several engineers in similar positions that moonlight teach training classes on codes, standards, etc for other companies than the one they work for. I've hired some of these types and they bill 4000-7000 per day doing the specialty technical training classes. They have very little overhead so most of the money they bill goes to their bottom line. Find a niche where you have contacts/experience, throw the shingle out and see what happens.
tamc93
AG
Tex_Ag_2017 said:

Is it possible to contract engineer yourself out for 5-10 hours a week and work from home? I have looked into Upwork and it seems decent. Has anyone ever worked part time as an engineer? How do you find side jobs like this? I have a full time 40 hour a week job and I wouldn't mind working more but we don't get any extra for working extra because it is not expected.
I would assume you are not registered yet with a 2017 tag. Plenty of issues in offering engineering without a license as well as possible employer conflicts.

I have used the non-licensed people for overflow work or because they can work remote, but they normally do not have another job.

Ask yourself the question on what services you are trying to offer and go from there.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.