Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What drives you?

3,362 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag92NGranbury
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't really know where to post this so I guess I'll start here. What drives you to be the best in life, work etc... Do you have a "purpose" or a vision for your life?

Specifically regarding WORK; what pushes you, money, freedom, like what you do, etc...?
CS4LIFE
Health Insurance for my family and Retirement. Paycheck doesn't cut it anymore.
CS78
Security for my family. It's what kept me in a low paying job with good insurance and busting tail in real estate on the side. I've had major, debilitating health issues in the last two months. Having the insurance has been invaluable. The security of the side income/net worth cushion just as valuable.
RG20
I think it's hard to go out every day and bust ass for low pay. I don't want to be waking up everyday dredding what is ahead. And, right now I just can't find a "why" in what I'm doing.
ac04
The Lost
It's varied over time, but all resorts back to being comfortable and being able to do whatever I want without worrying.

As a kid I wanted to do better than my parents, I didn't grow up with a ton and was told no enough to where I knew anything I wanted I had to get on my own.

Fast forward, got some decent money to a kid in his young 20's and started thinking about what next after having done the drinking/partying/travel scene. Got a masters degree and a bump in pay.

Currently its a house/marriage being what I want them to be. Then it'll be take care of kids well, with the end goal living on a TPC course and retiring there.

ORAggieFan
Cash money, homie.
The Wonderer
AG
Reputation in my industry, providing for a future family, being able to control my own success and get to the point so that I only work when I want to
Bag
AG
As a small business owner who spent the first 20 years in corporate America, my number one driver besides providing for my family is to NEVER go back to corporate America
FrioAg 00
AG
I was born into near poverty, though I considered myself very rich due to great family and loved ones around me. Still, I came from a neighborhood most don't "make it" from.

I barely got a shot at A&M, and when I did I saw it as the opportunity to change things for my kids and for their kids. 21 years later I have never stopped - their life is what drives me.

Brush Country Ag
AG
To be the absolute best I can be or do at whatever I do . Be it family, work or play. If you do this, things will work out no matter your starting point.
94chem
Discovering the next thing that God has for me to accomplish.
Leander - Ag
AG
Cash / benefits that lead to freedom / independence.

The older I get, the more I value freedom / independence.
Deputy Travis Junior
The emptiness that settles in when I stop moving.
ElAmericano
Duncan Idaho
I am lazy. Worrying about doing a good job takes more effort than doing a good job.

Also the health care cost in retirement is the biggest financial motivatator
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i'm an old school bucket list kind of guy...

i love reaching goals... currently, i have a spreadsheet that has over 500 goals... which i track quarterly by points... haha

i'm a nerd, but it definitely keeps the drive on...
Racer X
AG
I'd like to be able to go HERE or HERE whenever I feel like it.
YouBet
AG
What motivates me at work is providing value to the business and my team. Salary next.

However, I'm dangerously close to the inevitable jaded feeling most corporate folks get to eventually.

A job search may be in my near future for the first time in almost 20 years.
Finding X
Winning!

And cool toys!

I've come to learn that I'm not driven to much by money - but I like to set a goal and hit it. Money is the by-product and kind of a score board.
30wedge
Have owned my own business for nearly 30 years. When I bought it, I was driven by the need to make enough money to pay for all the normal things in life, plus making the note payment! After I paid it off, I became less driven. In the past 6 or so years, I have continued down the path of being less driven. Began to not take new clients and purged some that I needed to get rid of.

Last year, and going forward, I really cut back even more. Now, I work only enough to pay for a couple of things that I owe for. I am not willing to make the effort to work enough to have the funds to build more wealth, just sort of maintain I guess is what I do.
lb3
AG
chris1515
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

i love reaching goals... currently, i have a spreadsheet that has over 500 goals... which i track quarterly by points... haha

500 goals? I'm curious what type of goals those would be to have that many. Seriously curious.

Does that work for you?
Ag92NGranbury
AG
chris1515 said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

500 goals? I'm curious what type of goals those would be to have that many. Seriously curious.

Does that work for you?
it does... it is real nerdy, so i've never showed it to anyone... including my wife

they are all broken down by type of goal... financial, physical, business, community, spiritual, travel...etc

every goal is weighted by points...50,100, 250, 500 & 1000.... therefore i can track progress at the end of each quarter... i track over time to know how much progress i made in those 3 months...

long term goals that can be broken down by habits... I use Habit List as the iphone app... also use Todoist to keep track of all misc 2-do's... (and yes... i track those too)

it definitely provides incentives to keep moving forward... i guess it is my dopamine hit each month
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.