Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Starting a business- need help

1,998 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Wonderer
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a good lawyer with a background in healthcare and business law. I am looking to start a physical therapy practice next year and need to meet with an attorney to help me set it up. I am in the Austin area.

Also, looking for a CPA as well to help me on the business side. Thanks in advance.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiederelict said:

Does anyone have a good lawyer with a background in healthcare and business law. I am looking to start a physical therapy practice next year and need to meet with an attorney to help me set it up. I am in the Austin area.

Also, looking for a CPA as well to help me on the business side. Thanks in advance.
email me at cody@dumaslegal.com
The Debt
If you need visibility and online marketing, I'm your Ag.

I help clients big and small. But I really hate approaching startups that didnt budget for marketing, they tell me "no", they are the ones that close within 2 years.

I know property, equipment, and labor costs are your primary concern to open the doors, but please consider marketing as essential to keep em open.
BTHOB-98
What kind of business is it?
aggiederelict
Cash pay physical therapy clinic. One man operation for now.
viper14
AG
For a CPA, contact Prewitt CPA at http://prewittcpa.com/ he is an Aggie
lb3
AG
The Wonderer
AG
lb3 said:

aggiederelict said:

Just go on the SOS website and file for an LLC and go hang your shingle out. As a one man operation you're going to go broke if you can't wear multiple hats.
Healthcare operations require more than just filing the Form 205. The operating agreement has to be done and have certain language. Employment and/or IC agreement have to have certain healthcare related language. Cheaping out on the front end can become very expensive on the back end when people like me have to come in and clean everything up.
dlp3719
AG
Consider reading E-Myth by Michael Gerber.
jakelew04
AG
Good Luck!!
lb3
AG
Dr T and the Women
AG
There was a highly rated pt practice in Austin for sale a couple months ago. If any interest I can connect you. They reached out to me about it
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UncleStephry
I work for a CPA firm in Houston - one of our shareholders specializes in healthcare.

Email me stephro94@msn.com
The Wonderer
AG
lb3 said:

The Wonderer said:

lb3 said:

aggiederelict said:

Just go on the SOS website and file for an LLC and go hang your shingle out. As a one man operation you're going to go broke if you can't wear multiple hats.
Healthcare operations require more than just filing the Form 205. The operating agreement has to be done and have certain language. Employment and/or IC agreement have to have certain healthcare related language. Cheaping out on the front end can become very expensive on the back end when people like me have to come in and clean everything up.

He's talking about setting up a one man shop in an industry where the average income is about $85k. Keeping startup costs down should be paramount and learning how to wear different hats is vital for any startup buisness owner.

My wife owns a small buisness and the first thing I had her do after we got married was fire her CPA. I file her buisness taxes now and it's not rocket science. The most complicated part of the taxes is calculating her SEP limit.

With a cash clinic he doesn't need to sign up with insurers or Medicare. He's presumably licensed or he wouldn't be considering this. He doesn't appear to be interested in working within anyone else's practice so an IC shouldn't be needed unless he wants to partner with a chiropractor or the like. Simple privacy boilerplates, etc off the web should be sufficient to get started with his patients.

I haven't visited a physical theropist in about 15 years but they don't all have fancy gyms. The basics can probably be covered by renting a small 800 sq ft retail space, buying a desk and locking file cabinet, getting a treatment table, buying an ultrasound machine and dusting off an old laptop, subscribing to cloud based EMR and payment services, purchasing liability insurance, buying some Therabands and nitrile gloves, then printing some buisness cards.

As a one man show he's not going to get many vacations so when the time comes to hire or partner with another PT, that would be the perfect time to hire an attorney and CPA.
Legal questions are one of the areas one should not skimp on. I've had to fix too many practices for much more than they saved by going cheap on the front end because things were done incorrectly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.