Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Corporate Debt Bubble

1,047 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oldarmy1
Ag92NGranbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Danger, Will Robinson!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/opinion/corporate-debt-bubble-next-recession.html
FTAco07
AG
Noted bear Dave Rosenberg has been preaching that gospel for a while now. I can't link the chart because it's behind a paywall, but nearly half of all investment grade corporate debt is rated BBB! Half of the investment grade universe is one notch above junk! That number was only 32% in 2009.
AgBank
AG
High yield spreads over treasury are unappealing these days. I find myself in more short term treasuries than ever.

Cyp0111
We are at quite the mismatch in pricing on high yields vs risk...but that is always the case before the avalanche. The desire for yield has pushed leverage levels and credit too far past levels that are sustainable and we are starting to see big issues.

Corporate debt is one thing. It's more or less corporate finance 101 and incurring debt at cheap levels to buy back shares etc. all. That will come to a stop, at the detriment to the stock markets.

The bigger issue is the chase for yield in emerging markets and lack of currency hedge (it's not that much better than last two EM crisis levels). I think people are underplaying Turkey and other areas where inflationary troubles coupled with loans going bad should really start to impact global markets.

The unwind and credit crisis is starting to step up, timing is the only question imo.
oldarmy1
AG
Pressed right up to gap fill and rejected. Missed filling it by less than 2 points. Psychology says it will get filled. Lile a hang nail to market makers.
oldarmy1
AG
Wrong thread.

So whats all the QA money sheltered do to this write up?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.