Business & Investing
Sponsored by

401K Company Match Comparison

5,768 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FrioAg 00
oldag941
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had discussions with friends at work on how competitive our 401K match program is. It's hard to tell what bench marking is out there.

They match 100% of the first 1%, then 50% of the next 5%. So it averages out to 3.5% match on your 6% contribution.

They will match additional, but based on company profit performance. Best case 2.5% of gross income if profit is 15% or better (rarely happens).

Is that pretty competitive?

I understand differences in industries etc, but just looking at general comparisons.

Give me your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
gougler08
AG
I'm w/ a major O&G and it's based on years of service. 2.5% for first 4 years, 5% for years 5-9 and 10% for years 10+
Post removed:
by user
TwoMarksHand
AG
I'm in distribution of industrial supplies. Used to be 50% of first 6%. But, no 401k match anymore. Replaced by profit sharing of straight 6% (so basically doubled our matching), and ESOP contributions.
Wife is an Aggie
50% on your first 6% + a annual profit sharing contribution anywhere from 5-10% based on company performance. Could be worse or better than that but has always been in the 6-8% range so far.
bevokilla
AG
Ours is straight 4% and then increasing based on years of service. I have been here 10 years so I am maxed out at 9% match
Curios Ag
AG
Buddy and I where talking FIRE this weekend, he said the company he works for contributes

15% of employees salary to 401K

They also get Profit Sharing and a Bonus every year.

and on top of that, they get 100% Medical for Family.

The company is consistenly in the Top 10 companies to work for in Portland.

Nice package.
FTAco07
AG
100% up to 6% of salary
TXTransplant
75% of the first 6% employees contribute (effectively a 4.5% match).

Annual discretionary 401k contribution (as part of the bonus structure) that is usually 2-3%

We also have a pension, but I'm not exactly sure how contributions are determined.
Ed Carter
AG
My company does 3% of your total gross pay into 401(k), and 12% in Company stock.

So if you make $100,000, you will get $3000 into 401(k) and $12,000 in Company stock each year
Bird Poo
AG
Commercial air transportation. 9% of salary is matched 100% in 401k. Also receive company profit sharing towards a separate retirement account which has averaged about 11% of salary the last couple of years. I'm very fortunate.
leoj
AG
Up to 5%, then profit sharing
DRE06
AG
Fortune 100 Midstrem O&G

6% 401k, plus 4% profit share, so 10% of salary & bonus

TamuKid
AG
6% match, up to $7500 dollars maximum.
So basically you cap out at $7500 once > 125k salary.

Immediate vesting.
Mustang1
AG
401k match is 6% of salary\bonus
Ragoo
AG
Previous job was 6% plus 3% safe harbor, 3 year vest

Current job is 5% plus 3% safe harbor sliding 5 year vest. Plus profit sharing.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Independent o&g company. We get 100% match up to 6% of base salary.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
100% match up to 4%, 50% match 4-6%, so not 5% match at >= 6% contribution.

Additional 2-3% profit sharing match for all employees.
Schrute Farms
Match 2:1 up to 8%
Woody2006
AG
Best I've seen is Microsoft and a few of the other tech companies... match 50% no matter what you contribute. Anyone not maxing out those plans is throwing away free money.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
8% match
aggiebq03+
We get 2% of salary as base. That steps up 0.5% at age 35 and every 5 years after.

100% match up to 5% of salary.
Guppy
AG
No match at my company, instead they just automatically contribute 14% (going to 15% on 1/1/19) to your 401k. I don't have to contribute a dime. Last year profit sharing was in the low teens (13.2%). Average over last 10 years or so is probably 7%. A very rare contribution that I am extremely grateful for!
62strat
AG
Ed Carter said:

My company does 3% of your total gross pay into 401(k), and 12% in Company stock.

So if you make $100,000, you will get $3000 into 401(k) and $12,000 in Company stock each year

How much would it be if you made $70k a year

My company doesn't offer a 401k; instead they contribute 15% of salary into self directed, pretax retirement account. Employees can't contribute to this specific account.
So if you make $100k, that is $15k.

Also get 10-20% bonus.
aTm_bomb
AG
Match 100% up to 6% i contribute and an additional 8.5% contribution by employer, basically 14.5% matching. Been a fortuitous retirement builder that I'm very thankful for.
Dr. Horrible
1:4 (not sure which goes first) match up to 8%, so my 2% maxes their match at 8%.
jtmoney03
AG
100% match on the first 4%, then 50% on the next 2%.
redag06
100% Match to 6%, and an additional 5% to company "savings plan" that gains interest each year.

oldag941
AG
Thanks for the replies. This gives a lot of insight into what's out there and a basis of comparison for further considerations.
WestTxAg16
AG
Match 150% up to 6% employee contribution. I put in 6%, they put in 9%.

*edit: employer contribution vests over the course of 5 years (I believe - I need to read over this again. Either way it doesn't change what I'm putting in and isn't enough money to stay in one place or another for IMO)

O&G
teecoy
AG
100% match up to 8%
teecoy
AG
O&G independent
MouthBQ98
AG
80% to 6% vests immediately.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Let me be the first...no match at my current gig. Last gig I got 3% profit share.

Most of my start up clients offer no match.

I work at a small finance professional services consulting firm.
12thAngryMan
AG
100% match up to 6% of salary which vests immediately with no differences for age or years of service. Industry is oil and gas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.