Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred Grocery Stores

12,123 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agdaddy04
9Hy3Ww
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

I was thinking about getting the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred. Anyone know if it works at HEB and Krogers? Wasn't explicitly listed on the AmEx website.

Also, an agent on the phone today it worked at WalMart but the website says it doesn't. Anyone who has the card know for sure?

Thank you.

I did a search on the forum and while the card showed up in a few threads doesn't appear this specific information was provided.
Thanks and Gig 'Em!
WestTexAg12
AG
I've got the card. I know it doesn't work at the commissary or at the PX on bases. Also, I don't believe it works at Walmart.

Don't live in Texas presently, but I know at Publix and Bi-Lo it works.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
cgh1999
AG
Works fine at Kroger/HEB. Not at Walmart
Diggity
AG
Walmart Neighborhood Market will work as a Grocery but not regular Walmarts
9Hy3Ww
AG
What is a "Walmart Neighborhood Market"? We must not have those in Bryan / College Station as I haven't heard of them lol

Just checked the walmart map; just got supercenters in BCS.
Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Diggity
AG
it's their grocery store
johnson2012
AG
Can confirm HEB as well. Also picks up on Central Market and Whole Foods
Trident15
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

I've got the card. I know it doesn't work at the commissary or at the PX on bases. Also, I don't believe it works at Walmart.

Weird, I asked AmEx about the commissary and they told me I was getting 6% on those purchases.
AgsMyDude
AG
Buy heb gift cards at the grocery register for 6% back on gas.
WestTexAg12
AG
Trident15 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

Weird, I asked AmEx about the commissary and they told me I was getting 6% on those purchases.

I'll have to check on the commissary again. I know for a fact I didnt get it for gas purchases at the PX.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
Post removed:
by user
gunan01
AG
To confirm what others are saying, it does work at H-E-B and Kroger.

Keep in mind the 6% cash back only applies to the first $6000 total spend, then 1% thereafter. So you will get $360 back on the first $6000 (assuming you only use it at grocery stores), and 1% thereafter. It's a decent card but not amazing, mainly since it has a $95 annual fee.
aTm_bomb
AG
There is a free amex blue that pays 3 2 1 % on the same categories, but the annual fee card cash back makes it worth it. It's my go to for grocery and gas. I use a USAA limitless visa that pays 2.5% cash back on everything else.

PS grocery gas stations pay 1%, not 6 or 3. Costco gas is the same. Many department stores also pay 3%. Amex also does promos with vendors where you get 5% credits if you opt in and use the card at certain stores.
gunan01
AG
Ya the free Amex Blue Cash Everyday card also has the $6000 annual limit. So you get $180 back total yearly (assuming you spend all $6000 at the grocery store) before you start only getting 1% cash back on all purchases. Frankly, if you are not going to hit $6000 in yearly spend at the grocery store, it's probably better to get the free Blue Cash Everyday card, rather than the $95 annual fee Blue Cash Preferred card.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Edit:

My bad. Saw you were referring to a different card in that post.
Diggity
AG
I don't know of a better card to use for grocery stores.
Out in Left Field
AG
Gotta run the maths...the break even point on the $95 annual fee vs. the free card is $4584 per year in groceries. But then you can add on top of that your 3% on gas and any groceries over that amount up to $6000.

You can also look out, like someone else said, for special offers for bonus points or straight up statement credits from certain stores/hotels/etc.

I also have the Chase Freedom and use that during the grocery quarter so I can redeem those points in Ultimate Rewards (if you have a Sapphire card).
EliteZags
AG
Amex preferred max 6% in groceries and gas cards
Chase Freedom max 5% grocery quarters (amazon cards)
Uber visa 4% on restaurants/bars
Citi Double Cash 2% everything else
IrishTxAggie
AG
Can you buy gift cards for other retailers with the AMEX blue preferred at Kroger and still get the 6%?
aTm_bomb
AG
Yup, it's a good way to hit the $6000 limit at the end of the year if you need to.
The Original AG 76
AG
I have Amex blue and it's ok. I use it for damn near everything short of a coke at the stop-n-rob and therefor hit the limits on the first couple of months. The cash back really ends up at 1% on everything prettty quick. One big hiccup is that they do not count gas bought at a grocery or Sams type place as a qualified 3% purchase. You gotta buy at a name brand gas station. My affinity card per gallon discount dictates that I always by at Kroger or the like.
These cards are all nice and I get back well over $1000 a year but it ain't as fantabulous as many think
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i've been on the usaa 2.5% back on everything card for over a year now... it has been amazing
Diggity
AG
I hate free money
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Yup, it's a good way to hit the $6000 limit at the end of the year if you need to.

That's why the $6000 limit exists.

I'm pretty sure when I first got the card, it was unlimited but I think people started doing this and basically getting 5% back on anything and everything.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
The biggest plus to the Amex, in my experience, is their customer service.

I've had a few occasions where I had to call them - one time I returned a bluetooth speaker and after going round and round with the vendor on why my refund was being delayed they told me I had returned an empty box. After probably an hour on the phone with them, I called Amex and in about 5 minutes AMEX had refunded me for the purchase and was doing their own investigation. They said if the company could sufficiently prove their claims, they'd reverse the refund they gave me....of course, that never happened.

9Hy3Ww
AG
Our monthly grocery bill is around $1,000 for HEB. Three kids. Yesh.
Thanks and Gig 'Em!
agdaddy04
AG
You sure that limit exists on grandfathered cards? I've had the blue card since 2000 and don't seem to have any limits on it. I think it triggers max % after spending the first $6500. I'll use it for business expenses to hit that in the first month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.