Business & Investing
Sponsored by

USAA Bank Fraud

14,051 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Picard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't USAA offer a token via Symantec app?

I read about this one time and was confused. As I understood it, your password became the token+pin and there was no two factor. I'd rather have a password with the token+pin as the 2FA.

Or maybe I misunderstood. Maybe someone from USAA can clear that up for us. Or someone here that uses it.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Yes, USAA has a Symantec 2-factor feature built into their app that you can opt to use. That wouldn't have prevented the issue I dealt with though, because they dealt with the fraudster on the telephone. The telephone passphrase feature, however, would have supposedly avoided all the fuss.
OldArmyBrent
AG
CJS4715 said:

Off topic, but did you go to Oshkosh?

Yep. Arrived Saturday and left the following Sunday. I try to go every year.
Diyala Nick
AG
I was a USAA member for about 10 years. My experience with them went downhill over the course of about a year (both their bank and insurance groups).

I will not use them again.
mhayden
What if they start running a series of commercials that say "oh hey we ****ed up but we're better now" ala WF?
Stive
AG
free_mhayden said:

What if they start running a series of commercials that say "oh hey we ****ed up but we're better now" ala WF?

No joke. WORST marketing campaign ever.
Agnzona
My credit union won't allow any debit card transaction over 2k in one day, even if I pre arrange it. That's caused me some issues before. But I see their point.
Coincidently the only fraud I have ever encountered was on my Fidelity cash account. Their algorithm flagged some transactions and then they called me. The immediately blocked the card and mailed me a new one and within days reversed all the charges. They were awesome.
YouBet
AG
Glad this worked out. I will say I'm not surprised by Fidelity's quick reaction here to make things right. I use them as our "bank" and their customer service is fantastic.

It probably also helps that we have both of Roth's and taxable investment accounts with them as well.
rwtxag83
AG
USAA
Greater love hath no man than this....
rwtxag83
AG
We are with Frost Bank. Have had an acct with them for over 30 years. Texas born and managed by Texans.

In the banking bust in the 80s, the 10 largest banks in TX failed, but not Frost. Frost was started in 1868, and they have survived many, many challenges. They have NEVER taken government money in a bailout.

BTW, I have been a USAA member for over 35 years, but have not had any active services with them for decades, and I won't. I've seen too many people get screwed over by them.
Greater love hath no man than this....
LOYAL AG
AG
Several interesting things in this thread:

1. The police don't give a crap. $10K is small to them and if you got your money back they're moving on. The only chance of catching this person is with the ATM video footage. The address the ATM card was sent to was a vacant apartment and the card was left without a signature. Seen this happen.
2. I've had bankers tell me they are all chasing USAA for technology. It definitely sounds like that tech was turned against USAA in this case.
3. The OP has someone very close to them or someone that has deeply hacked his technology. The second fraud is the real concerning one. Yes, I know you already know that already.
4. I got a call from them on a Saturday in May and someone had tried to log into the phone system with my serial number. The system blocked them because they didn't know my PIN or phone PIN or something, I don't recall exactly. That's what makes #3 scary to me. This person had a lot of relevant information, enough to get past the phone screening system which is pretty stout.
5. I've been a member for close to 30 years and never once felt like they were not on top of their game with security. They aren't my primary bank anymore but that's because I own businesses in BCS and banking local is just more practical.

USAA isn't what it used to be because they began to place growth above the quality of their members. What I mean by that is a first term enlisted person is going to introduce risks that a junior officer does not, generally speaking and with that comes costs that they didn't used to expose themselves to. Still they are considered really good in the world of banking and insurance. Nothing is perfect and the same tech we take for granted for making life easier also makes fraud easier. Be diligent and know that nobody is as good as you are at making sure the transactions in your accounts are legit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.