Business & Investing
Sponsored by

*** How Did You Become Rich? ***

3,654 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by QBCade
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you, or someone you know personally, become wealthy? (As in being a millionaire or billionaire, or simply having healthy finances.) How did it happen?

Was it through working a high-paying job?

Or was it through assets? Such as selling or owning land, real estate, businesses, minerals, etc.?

I'm curious about the different methods of wealth accumulation TA has been exposed to.
Stive
AG
Someone bump THE thread for the new(er) guy.
Render
AG
Did I do a stupid? My apologies if there is something similar. I didn't skimmed a few pages back and didn't see anything similar.

And I'm not so much interested in replicating their success. I am aware individual context is vital. I was just more curious about people's stories or interesting business tales. If you acquire that much money it must have been an interesting story.
Stive
AG
Render said:

Did I do a stupid? My apologies if there is something similar. I didn't skimmed a few pages back and didn't see anything similar.

Not at all. There's a thread from a year or two back that's multiple pages with exactly what you're asking.
Render
AG
Thanks for the tip. I did some deeper digging and found some good threads. Sorry for cluttering the main page.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Anyone have a link to said thread?
Post removed:
by user
Render
AG
Thanks! Appreciate it.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
It's easier to marry money than to make money.
The Original AG 76
AG
I'm more curious as to what the OP defines as " rich" than in most answers to his inquiry...Plus his demographics...
59 South
AG
Exactly. We talking hood rich or rich rich?
GE
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I'm more curious as to what the OP defines as " rich" than in most answers to his inquiry...Plus his demographics...
Rich is a relative term that means "The amount of money that is difficult to conceptualize accumulating based on where I am now."
Render
AG
In hindsight I admit my post was too vague, and way too probbing into people's personal business. I didn't think the post through enough, so I'm embarrassed how I framed it. I was just curious if the Aggie network had any high earners. The links provided touched on a lot of what I was curious about, and also incidentally provided some good business/investment advice for this ignorant one. I've learned many lessons through being embarrassed, so I'll see that as the silver lining...
The Original AG 76
AG
Render said:

In hindsight I admit my post was too vague, and way too prodding into people's personal business. I didn't think the post through enough, so I'm embarrassed how I framed it. I was just curious if the Aggie network had any high earners. The links provided touched on a lot of what I was curious about, and also incidentally provided some good business/investment advice for this ignorant one. I've learned many lessons through being embarrassed, so I'll see that as the silver lining...
No need for a frown. It is a great question that will draw a ton of honest helpful answers if you need any helpful custom tailored help .
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
No need to be embarrassed. It's definitely not too personal, there's a whole thread where people are providing specifically how much retirement money they have saved. The people who think your post may be too personal simply won't answer, and the ones who think it is just fine especially with internet anonymity will answer in varying degrees of helpfulness.

There are definitely some high earners on this board, and in general, the board represents probably the top quartile or better of the general population when comparing net worth and/or earnings. It's a good place to ask questions and I have learned a ton posting and reading here. And as long as you aren't belligerent or intentionally insulting (or trying to sell whole life insurance as an investment vehicle) you will rarely get more than a few negative responses. And the more you ask "silly" questions, the more you will learn, and the smarter your questions will get.
Jamarcus Russell
Three ways to get rich: Earn, Marry, and Inherit. Your goal should be to do all three.
Whitetail
AG
Jamarcus Russell
Which you have to earn the money to buy, marry someone who already has them, or inherit them from someone else.
GE
AG
Jamarcus Russell said:

Three ways to get rich: Earn, Marry, and Inherit. Your goal should be to do all three.
Inheritance as a goal. love it
halfastros81
AG
Living below your means, and paying yourself first and investing over the long haul are factors i'd Expect to see commonly cited.
QBCade
AG
Render said:

In hindsight I admit my post was too vague, and way too probbing into people's personal business. I didn't think the post through enough, so I'm embarrassed how I framed it. I was just curious if the Aggie network had any high earners. The links provided touched on a lot of what I was curious about, and also incidentally provided some good business/investment advice for this ignorant one. I've learned many lessons through being embarrassed, so I'll see that as the silver lining...

No sweat. As for my story, I've been very fortuitous in my career. Found a great boss and followed him up the chain. Company was acquired and stock has increased about 4x. My RSUs & options did it for me.

I'm 42 and the last 3yrs have been crazy good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.