Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Starting small business....

1,506 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by borski99
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the age of 44 I am finally ready to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning my own business. I am a very risk adverse person so this is very scary for me, esp with a wife and two kids.

What advise can this knowledgeable forum give me from their own personal experience?

Regards
MemorialTXAg
What are you hoping to get out of it? Maybe describe your situation a bit better if you want more specific answers.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Assume you'll make no money the first 12 months so have that 12 months of liquidity nearby to cover expenses and whatnot.
FriscoKid
AG
What industry?

Pickle Rick
AG
Make sure you know the below.

• How you are different from competition, and competition can be the status quo.
  • If your difference is valued.
  • How easily your difference can be copied.
  • The size of your market.
agdad021
As a 20 year business owner - I've had people ask me the same question over the years - my best practical advice is
1). There is no hockey stick - whatever model you have that shows no dips or major correction it is not reality- expect some unpredictable crazy stuff to happen that can't be modeled.

2). The hardest thing for people who come out of corpoarate environments to discover is that there is NO "THEY" - if you have ever said "get the finance team on this THEY will give us a forecast" or "Run this by LEGAL and see what THEY say" or "Email IT and see if THEY can fix the network" etc. just substitute your name into "THEY" . You will be handling problems that "THEY" always handled in a corporate environment. Good luck - the roller coaster is tons more fun than the merry go round !
borski99
AG
What kind of business? That matters a bit.

I'm in the same boat, 41 and just getting my engineering consulting business off the ground. I'm currently in-between consulting with a government services company which helps pay the bills, and a couple of projects that should launch me. My goals are modest, I like being hands on with clients and staff so I don't want to grow large enough to force me back into an executive role, which feels empty to me. I like to turn the wrench, so to speak.

I think the biggest factor for me was understanding what I'm good at, being honest with myself about my weaknesses, finding ways to mitigate them, and planning for the long term (12 mth +).

It's best if you can have another source of income on the side or through consulting or spouse, to weather some of the dips and lack of work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.