Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Current 401k balance and age?

28,859 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Baby Billy
AggieEyes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be interesting to get benchmarks. I'll start.

530k and 41 years old.

I started in 2008.
sherminator
140K & 30 yr old

About 300K if you include the wife.
HoustonAg2014
AG
$175k @ 26 years old
rgag12
AG
180K 24 years old
sts7049
AG
got about 120k in my 401k/rollover IRA. 36 years old.

lost a good chunk of mine a couple years ago as part of divorce agreement. been playing catch up from that.
FincAg
AG
Some of you kids have been working for 2-5 years and have >$150m in retirement funds?
TXTransplant
FincAg said:

Some of you kids have been working for 2-5 years and have >$150m in retirement funds?

Curious about this as well. Making the max contribution of $18k for 5 years only gets you to $90k (obviously not including gains or company match).

For myself - Just shy of $400k split evenly between my current 401k and a 403b from a previous employer that is doing well, so I haven't rolled it over. Another ~$170k in a pension plan. Also have ~$38k in a Roth. Will turn 40 in a few months.
leoj
AG
Unfortunately have only taken it seriously the past few years as I didn't educate myself on personal finance until then. I stopped contributing or contributed very little off and on my first 3-4 years out of college.

62k, 30 years old
AggieEyes
AG
TXTransplant - just curious around your pension plan.

When are those funds eligible to you?
HoustonAg2014
AG
The one below me is shocking and eye opening.

As for me I have 18k X 4.5 years. So $80k.

Plus 7% company match so lets call that $5k X 4.5 years. So $25k give or take.

Total contribution around $105k in 4.5 years with around a 14% return per year.

That is my 401k plan.

Retirement in general I have $35k in a Roth IRA as well.

4 years of 5,500. So 22k and went all in on Amazon at $850 around the beginning of 2017 after the XLE ate my lunch for 2 years.

So total retirement as of today is ~$210k
TwoMarksHand
AG
21k, 27 yo. Put money in every year to get company match, but didn't actually invest it until last year. I was uneducated on where I should actually put it, got nervous, and kept it in a MM fund.
FincAg
AG
I guess it makes sense if you are coming out with a rather high paying STEM or Investment Banking job where maxing out your 401k is a financial option starting year one. That was not necessarily the case for those of us in our mid 30s when just finding a job was a struggle. Let alone having flat or negative returns on indexes were the norm for nearly seven years (2007-2013). There was some rather amazing growth in just the S&P since that time. Some of you all really did hit the sweet spot.
Aggie1391
$65k, 27 years old

I should be better about checking how it's allocated
TXTransplant
AggieEyes said:

TXTransplant - just curious around your pension plan.

When are those funds eligible to you?

I'm vested now (IIRC, that happened after 2 years of service, but my company changed the plan shortly after I hired on). If I left the company and cashed out, it would only be worth ~30% (as calculated by a formula based on age and years of service). Normal eligibility is also based on some formula of age and years of service, and I don't exactly know what that is off the top of my head. It's sort of a moot point for me because I didn't start working for this company until I was in my mid-30s. By the time I'm ready to retire, I'll at least be in my mid-50s and should be fully eligible to collect from the pension.
Ulrich
I don't want to say because people know who I am. However, sheer luck can play a big role. For example:

I graduated 7 years ago. Waiting periods, limited enrollment dates, and switching employers meant that I couldn't contribute for 24 of my first 36 months out of school. The year I could, the match was low and my salary was relatively small. Combine all that and i missed out on a lot of the equity run-up. But then I joined a company with a much better match and day 1 enrollment in a bull market, so it has grown quite fast since then.
JimmyHouston
AG
In the 401k - 395k at 39 years of age.
3rdgenAg2010
289k and 30
MAS444
AG
I've always been curious what my corporate buddies have in their 401ks. I only had one for a few years before I started my own gig, so mine's low. I'm 44...so I'm guessing it could have $1MM+ in it now assuming max contributions for the last 20 years?
suburban cowboy
AG
rgag12 said:

180K 24 years old

Good for you, but please explain to me how this is even possible.
The Anchor
AG
1.2 mil
13 years old
Mustang1
AG
Better gauge would be 401k balance + any IRA balances
TwoMarksHand
AG
IceCream14 said:

rgag12 said:

180K 24 years old

Good for you, but please explain to me how this is even possible.
Guessing: Start work at 18. Max 401k every year. Still have to average a 13% return though.
CS78
39 and about $10k from back just out of college when that's all I knew. Only had one employer that would match and currently forced in to TRS. Majority of my investments are taxable and I like it that way. Might not even make it to 59.5 at this rate.
Pignorant
AG
$500K

In the womb
Jamarcus Russell
$1.45mm. 47 years old
Pman17
AG
38K Roll Over IRA 25% RoR and 26 years old

Maxing out 5,500 every year and current employer has pension @55. Wish I could do more but trying to get student debt out of the way.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Retirement @ 122k
32 yo

Investing really slowed up once wife became a stay at home mom and we went from DINKs to SIOKs
aTm_bomb
AG
33 YO
$323k - $223 in 401k and $100k in rollover IRAs

wife
$230K - $200k in 401k and $30k in Roth IRA

DI2Ks

Thankful for every aggressive matching from my company.
DannyDuberstein
AG
44 years old SI2K
$350 in 401k
$300 in IRA rollovers from previous employer 401ks (includes wife's before she became stay-home-mom 15 years ago)
$250 vested defined benefit if i were to quit and take lump sum payout tomorrow. If I manage to stay here and my salary grows at the rate it has the past 13 years here, would be worth about $600 lump sum at age 50 and $2 mill at age 55.

Set up my first 401k deposit when I interned in college. Put 15% of my internship $$$ into it.
leoj
AG
Man. I need to step it up.
evestor1
35 years old

Just under 180,000 in Retirement (IRA/401k)

Makes me sad looking at everyone else!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Consider that 70% of Americans have less than $1000 saved toward retirement. That will make you less sad in one way and more sad in a different way.

At your age, your goal should be to have about 2X your annual salary socked away. By mid-40s, you are shooting for 4X.

Just general rules of thumb and obviously dependent on when you want to retire, but just something to keep in mind.
Ragoo
AG
$290K 401(k) @ 32.75 years

makes up less than half of our total investment portfolio though
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
$198,601 right now, turn 30 end of this year.

I only put in up to my company match (7% previous job, 6% current) but I had a bit of help on this in that my first 3 years i had a pension building that i rolled into my 401k after leaving the company, plus i accidentally had some money go in a 401k from an internship that had some extra time to grow. that being said though, i have only been tracking my 401k closely for the last 2 years, but over that time my "life of fund" return is just shy of 22% annually. i could be considered "most aggressive" in all of my current accounts though, that's what fidelity tells me anyways.
littlebitofhifi
AG
evestor1 said:

35 years old

Just under 180,000 in Retirement (IRA/401k)

Makes me sad looking at everyone else!

I'm exactly where you are and feel right on track. I saved what I could out of school but market was tough when we were coming out and I've opted to balance experiences (travel, living in major cities around the country, etc) rather than maxing out retirement. My income has accelerated in the past few years and now I'm stocking a much higher percentage and still set to hit my retirement goals.

Good to see we have some smart Ags saving well above the norm though!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.