Business & Investing
Sponsored by

66% cannabis users stop using OTC drugs (new surveys show)

8,695 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by administrative errors
administrative errors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Research done by bright field group:
https://goo.gl/46THLd

It's a pdf, good read, would recommend for those interested

https://www.brightfieldgroup.com/blog

Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
leoj
AG
Not really shocking. Thanks for posting
62strat
AG
My MIL takes all sorts of meds for various ailments, and while she was visiting, she said what the hell and tried some edibles. For 7 days, she didn't feel the need to take one of her OTCs, and she didn't have any of her otherwise normal aches/pains.
Tumble Weed
Because they forgot to pick up their refills.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If I were pain relief or sleeping drug companies or anti anxiety drug companies I'd be worried
cohibasymas
AG
My FIL died slowly, horribly in fact, of a degenerative neurological disease similar to but worse than ALS. Looking back, cannabis would have been a godsend to him. Of course it wouldn't have replaced his multitude of RXs, but it could have helped with his appetite, nausea, and anxiety, sleeplessness, etc. . And to think the only reason he couldn't access it was because it was illegal. Disgusting.
administrative errors
Part of the reason I posted is because I'm sure many here are invested in that realm.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

I am amped.
administrative errors
cohibasymas said:

My FIL died slowly, horribly in fact, of a degenerative neurological disease similar to but worse than ALS. Looking back, cannabis would have been a godsend to him. Of course it wouldn't have replaced his multitude of RXs, but it could have helped with his appetite, nausea, and anxiety, sleeplessness, etc. . And to think the only reason he couldn't access it was because it was illegal. Disgusting.

An Israeli double blind study on cbd and chemo was cancelled because everyone knew who was taking the placebo, and the nurses begged to give cbd to all the patients because it was such a dramatic change in recovery and happiness and overall health and recovery.

I'm sorry that our politicians have kept the wool over our eyes and that your father had to suffer through the last days.

Go watch "a life of its own: the truth about medical marijuana" on netflix.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
62strat
AG
Surprisingly, there are only 4 states left who have no legal uses of marijuana (ID, NE, SD, KS), and 1 of those has decriminalized it (NE). The heartland needs to get with the program!

So yes, 46 states have some form of legal marijuana, whether it's RX only limited THC, RX only, or recreational.
Half the country had legal RX marijuana by 2012.

I never really paid much attention until we moved to CO in 2012, when it was on the ballot, and passed, for recreational use. I had no idea so much of the country already had legal RX mj.
administrative errors
Outside of my businesses I'm trying to pursue a nonprofit geared to mental health (addicts, ptsd, homeless)and prison rehabilitation using cannabinoids or other psychedelics and cognitive behavioral therapy. I have no idea what it looks like but I'm fascinated with neuroscience and psychology and I think there's some real science that will be able to create a productive citizen and eliminate anti-social behavior.

I'm crazy but I'm thinking I'm on the path of enlightenment sometimes too.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
suburban cowboy
AG
I have subbed MaryJ for Vicodin (post surgery) and it works like a charm.

Made some fairly significant pain seemingly go away. Prescription MaryJ should be almost common. Lots of benefits.
administrative errors
They forgot because they had no pain to remind them they needed pain medicine.

But your joke was funny too.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
leoj
AG
I've seen interesting articles on ecstasy and mushrooms being used to treat depression pretty successfully as well.
administrative errors
leoj said:

I've seen interesting articles on ecstasy and mushrooms being used to treat depression pretty successfully as well.

http://www.maps.org

Check them out and follow. They are doing great work and research on psychedelics.

In the 50's and 60's lsd and psilocybin were regarded as miracle drugs used to treat alcoholism, anxiety and depression. Psilocybin was used by Aztecs and was suppressed by the Catholic Church, only OUR God can create mystical experiences dammit!
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
Proc92
Well, they were observed committing mass human sacrifice and cutting the hearts out of living people, so, perhaps the fact that they were tripping on mushrooms might not have left the best impression on the church.

But that aside, keep up the real research and see what results. New or efficient medical use of complex compounds is exciting.
administrative errors
Go look at the top 50 revenue generating pharmaceuticals (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_selling_pharmaceutical_products)
Go research what cannabis can reduce (pain, inflammation, anxiety, etc).

Realize these top revenue generating drugs are useless versus cannabis, see how disruptive it will become.

And I can't wait to burn them all to the ground.

Crypto to burn the banks down, cannabis to burn the pharmaceutical industry down. Let's fkn do it. Game on.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
but the stores can't keep the chips aisle stocked fast enough!
Stat Monitor Repairman
I started using cannibis mid-September of last year.

i no longer drink alcohol anymore. Not because I dont like it. I just dont want to anymore.

The difference in the high is like the difference between eating a gas station hot dog and a prime rib-eye.

Whatever was In my brain that made me like alcohol, cannibis turned it off like a switch.

Wish I had started 20 years ago actually. Im 100% sure that it would have improved the qualitiy of my life long term.

There is a reason the beer companies and big pharma are lobbying against it.
Tecolote
AG
62strat said:

Surprisingly, there are only 4 states left who have no legal uses of marijuana (ID, NE, SD, KS), and 1 of those has decriminalized it (NE). The heartland needs to get with the program!

So yes, 46 states have some form of legal marijuana, whether it's RX only limited THC, RX only, or recreational.
Half the country had legal RX marijuana by 2012.

I never really paid much attention until we moved to CO in 2012, when it was on the ballot, and passed, for recreational use. I had no idea so much of the country already had legal RX mj.
Where are you getting this info? For example, South Carolina has no legal uses that I'm aware of or could find.
administrative errors
I'm the same man, I was really into beer, liquor (I brewed beer, distilled once) but when I got into cannabis it was quantitatively better for me, and I noticed how I always had bowel issues when I would drink beers. Or maybe certain ones. Used to love IPA's, really hard for me to get thru them now.

One beer and that's all I'll drink usually when I'm out, or if we have guests over. Sometimes whisky, but man yeah alcohol just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Maybe whenever we have psychedelics legalized I'll brew a psilocybin mead ooooooooooo excitement.
https://medium.com/@mattguterres/psychoactive-mead-cider-afc0e7cef7c1

Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Was at at a catered party event last night serving wine and beer. Prob 100 people. Everyone was drinking wine and toasting etc. Suits and ties. Penthouse balcony. I stuck with sparkling water.

A couple people bugged me about why Im not drinking. I flat out told them that I quit and only use weed now.

They dropped the issue. Most thought I was joking but, in any event ...

These are the same people that will get behind the wheel after slurping town 4 or 5 wines, cause a conflict with their SO when they get home. and show up to work hung over.

I realize Ive been brainwashed and lied to all my life to stay away from something that has helped me immensely with NO side effects.

Its ******* crazy that i have to buy off the street.

There people rotting in jail of possession of this ****.

IMO, all people with non-violent convictions for this **** should be released immediately and their records expunged.

I do not believe, however, that it is appropriate for kids and developing brains.

Same exact laws should apply to cannibis as alcohol. there is no need for massive regulation.

administrative errors
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Was at at a catered party event last night serving wine and beer. Prob 100 people. Everyone was drinking wine and toasting etc. Suits and ties. Penthouse balcony. I stuck with sparkling water.

A couple people bugged me about why Im not drinking. I flat out told them that I quit and only use weed now.

These are the same people that will get behind the wheel after slurping town 4 or 5 wines, cause a conflict with their SO when they get home. and show up to work hung over.

I realize Ive been brainwashed and lied to all my life to stay away from something that has helped me immensely with NO side effects.

IMO, all people with non-violent convictions for this **** should be released immediately and their records expunged.

I do not believe, however, that it is appropriate for kids and developing brains.

Same exact laws should apply to cannibis as alcohol. there is no need for massive regulation.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't think the studies are repeatable that prove it damages or hinders a child's brain or development. All known side effects last no longer than 3 days (check my work might be longer but no more than 5 days) checked my work, its 4 weeks of non-cannabis use and the effects reverse. And by negative effects we are only speaking of delta9-THC related effects specifically, none of the other cannabinoids like cbd, thca, thcv, etc.

Don't regulate it like alcohol, that gives too much power and incentive to the largest most consolidated companies like AB Inbev.

You've got to realize this plant has grown with the human race. We've got documented uses dating back 10,000 years, up until 1890-1917 was the only time in history (that I'm aware) that it's been propagandized against, resulting in 100 years of prohibition. Until I find real research that's been repeated, My opinion is it should be Generally Regarded As Safe. And the government should fund programs to send cannabis into every home and have people learn to grow and the many ways to consume and how to use every part of the plant for different things, roots, stem, fan leaves, cola (bud), seeds, etc. This is to make up for the lies and imprisonment over something harmless to everyone except consolidated businesses like big pharma,etc.

It is the Swiss army knife of herbs, and should be treated that way instead of with kiddy gloves.

Edit to below post:
Agreed.

How about this, IF government must be involved THEN that is the only way they should, in my biased view. Otherwise gtfo way big govt.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
LOYAL AG
AG
administrative errors said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't think the studies are repeatable that prove it damages or hinders a child's brain or development. All known side effects last no longer than 3 days (check my work might be longer but no more than 5 days)

Don't regulate it like alcohol, that gives too much power and incentive to the largest most consolidated companies like AB Inbev.

You've got to realize this plant has grown with the human race. We've got documented uses dating back 10,000 years, up until 1890-1917 was the only time in history (that I'm aware) that it's been propagandized against, resulting in 100 years of prohibition. Until I find real research that's been repeated, My opinion is it should be Generally Regarded As Safe. And the government should fund programs to send cannabis into every home and have people learn to grow and the many ways to consume and how to use every part of the plant for different things, roots, stem, fan leaves, cola (bud), seeds, etc. This is to make up for the lies and imprisonment over something harmless to everyone except consolidated businesses like big pharma,etc.

It is the Swiss army knife of herbs, and should be treated that way instead of with kiddy gloves.

You had me until here. Get government out of the way. We don't need reparations for weed anymore than we need reparations for slavery. Just get government out of the way and let people decide for themselves.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I don't think the studies are repeatable that prove it damages or hinders a child's brain or development. All known side effects last no longer than 3 days (check my work might be longer but no more than 5 days)
My father is a doctor of clinical child psychologist with 40 years of experience. It is his opinion that marijuana use in adolescents results in a reduction in IQ; and that reduction is permanent. While it is difficult to conduct human studies on something both illegal and thought to be harmful, there is certainly recent studies (<10 years old) that would support this conclusion. There are of course some caveats, which is why I posted links to some articles that can better explain things.

I also think we have to acknowledge that the participants in the debate are now changing. With legalization comes commercial interest. Advertisements in California, where I was last week, are certainly targeted to young adults, at best. I appreciate the full disclosure that is being exercised here.
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2015/11/marijuana-brain.aspx
Quote:

The team found that persistent marijuana use was linked to a decline in IQ, even after the researchers controlled for educational differences. The most persistent users those who reported using the drug in three or more waves of the study experienced a drop in neuropsychological functioning equivalent to about six IQ points (PNAS, 2012). "That's in the same realm as what you'd see with lead exposure," says Weiss. "It's not a trifle."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/02/25/282631913/marijuana-may-hurt-the-developing-teen-brain
Quote:

"We found that people who began using marijuana in their teenage years and then continued to use marijuana for many years lost about eight IQ points from childhood to adulthood," says study author Madeline Meier, now a professor at Arizona State University, "whereas those who never used marijuana did not lose any IQ points."

The amount people smoked also made a difference. Those who smoked the most at least every day saw the greatest drop in IQ, the full 8 points. And the younger they were when they started using cannabis, the greater the IQ decline.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-pot-really-does-to-the-teen-brain/
administrative errors
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

My father is a doctor of clinical child psychologist with 40 years of experience. It is his opinion that marijuana use in adolescents results in a reduction in IQ; and that reduction is permanent. While it is difficult to conduct human studies on something both illegal and thought to be harmful, there is certainly recent studies (<10 years old) that would support this conclusion. There are of course some caveats, which is why I posted links to some articles that can better explain things.

I also think we have to acknowledge that the participants in the debate are now changing. With legalization comes commercial interest. Advertisements in California, where I was last week, are certainly targeted to young adults, at best. I appreciate the full disclosure that is being exercised here.

Quote:

The team found that persistent marijuana use was linked to a decline in IQ, even after the researchers controlled for educational differences. The most persistent users those who reported using the drug in three or more waves of the study experienced a drop in neuropsychological functioning equivalent to about six IQ points (PNAS, 2012). "That's in the same realm as what you'd see with lead exposure," says Weiss. "It's not a trifle."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/02/25/282631913/marijuana-may-hurt-the-developing-teen-brain
Quote:

"We found that people who began using marijuana in their teenage years and then continued to use marijuana for many years lost about eight IQ points from childhood to adulthood," says study author Madeline Meier, now a professor at Arizona State University, "whereas those who never used marijuana did not lose any IQ points."

The amount people smoked also made a difference. Those who smoked the most at least every day saw the greatest drop in IQ, the full 8 points. And the younger they were when they started using cannabis, the greater the IQ decline.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-pot-really-does-to-the-teen-brain/
My online research leads me to believe that the negative effects discussed ONLY relate to delta9-THC and most of the studies dont state what %thc the plant matter being used consists of and other cannabinoids that are involved. The negative effects have been shown to be removed after 4 weeks of non-use. Higher CBD content also removes many of the negative effects of delta9-THC.

It's not that i dont trust the research, i dont think the research is fine-tuned enough to prove these effects are damaging, and if we're only discussing the heaviest users we're also ignoring the methodical approach most dr's have when introducing a patient to new drugs, take minimal dosage and ramp up until symptoms resolve.

With lack of educational standards on the best uses due to prohibition, the black market idealizes heavy usage (probably both from a profit perspective, heavier users more demand and culture perspective "you're not cool unless you can last with Willy Nelson).

I'd also be interested to see a study on whether smokers/vapers/edible consumers all suffer from the same 'results' related to IQ. And am open to an argument whether IQ is a valid tool to measure against, seems relatively subjective to the test. Whats the standard deviation if someone is given multiple IQ tests over time? https://www.quora.com/I-took-2-IQ-tests-with-two-completely-different-results-Why-was-this-so
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
FarmerJohn
AG
The data is not perfect. The simple fact is that we are discussing children and you are not going to be able to conduct such broad based studies on negative effects. I can't imagine how you would get participants in study to determine if something has long lasting negative effects. But we have peer reviewed studies from multiple respected institutions that does show there is an effect. This effect goes beyond just IQ. As the links state, there is a change in MRI imaging as well. It's just that IQ is a nice quantifiable number that people like, and is pretty reliable over the long haul. To qualify a new test requires quite a bit of testing and correlation to other existing tests. These aren't Buzzfeed surveys. I also think it silly not to think that we won't continue to learn. I for one would be happy to see further studies from independent, objective, and science based institutions. But we have to be aware of what the current data is indicating.

As a producer, I would think that you (or your trade organization) would be very conservative in your statement of benefits. Coming out of prohibition, credibility is going to take a while to build and is fragile. The warning is the example of the tobacco industry and the exposure to civil litigation if you say something is safe and it turns out not to be.

This discussion is with published studies. What is not going to be included are individual cases and their outcomes. This is impossible considering that we are discussing minors and medical privacy laws. This means that one has to give increased weight to those that work with youth that have used cannabis and have seen the long term effects of those that continue using and those that don't. I've already stated my bias but I am not aware of any consensus saying that this is safe for youth. I think this is a legitimate concern that needs to be addressed as we introduce this new product to society. If something is too good to be true....
administrative errors
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

here's some excerpts from this study you might not have made it to:
Open questions
But the case against marijuana isn't closed. Other studies have failed to turn up evidence that marijuana use results in brain abnormalities. In one recent example, Barbara Weiland, PhD, at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and colleagues attempted to replicate Gilman's study in adolescents and adults who smoked marijuana daily. But Weiland's team argued that previous studies, including Gilman's, failed to adequately control for alcohol use by the participants. After carefully matching for alcohol intake in the control and experimental subjects, the researchers failed to find physical differences in the nucleus acumbens or the amygdala of daily marijuana smokers (Journal of Neuroscience, 2015).
In other cases, too, the evidence against marijuana is frustratingly mixed. While some studies have found increased risk for mood disorders and psychotic symptoms among marijuana users, for instance, a new study by Jordan Bechtold, PhD, at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and colleagues found that chronic use among teenage boys did not raise the risk of later depression, lung cancer, asthma or psychotic symptoms (Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2015

Quote:

this link cites the same studies the previous ones did, and when they state cognitive decline and test for EXECUTIVE FUNCTION (ADHD people suffer from Executive function disorder and they show no control for whether the participants are controlled for adhd which I think self-medicates at a higher % than neurotypicals)
Quote:

"It's very possible that there's something very different to begin with among teenagers who tend to get into trouble with marijuana or who become heavy users," Tau says. "They could have subtle emotional differences, perhaps some cognitive functioning differences.

"It may be hard for them to 'fit in' with a peer group that's more achievement-oriented."

These differences could predispose them to use pot.

Quote:

Quote:

Brain-imaging studies reinforce this concern. A number of smallish studies have seen differences in the brains of habitual weed smokers, including altered connectivity between the hemispheres, inefficient cognitive processing in adolescent users, and a smaller amygdala and hippocampusstructures involved in emotional regulation and memory, respectively.
adhd brains have been shown to have smaller amygdalas and hippocampus structures. And i dont see any controls stated around adhd participants.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216105919.htm

Okay, I went in depth into your posted research, most of it was duplicated amongst the many links. Many studies counter the results and the controls related to executive function testing were not testing whether particpants were ADHD, which would result in some of the brain structures being smaller than non-users.

I appreciate your engagement on the subject at hand. Do you wish to post more research that can push me towards your perspective?
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
administrative errors
Quote:

As a producer, I would think that you (or your trade organization) would be very conservative in your statement of benefits. Coming out of prohibition, credibility is going to take a while to build and is fragile. The warning is the example of the tobacco industry and the exposure to civil litigation if you say something is safe and it turns out not to be.

As I've stated, we produce high quality cbd rich hemp (.3% thc or less) so your concern shouldn't really be warranted.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
IrishTxAggie
AG
What are a few marijuana stocks you think have potential over time?
HalifaxAg
AG
Aurora & Canopy Growth seem to be the two big plays that I am aware of. There are others, but these two have stood out to me over the last year of watching the cannabis industry news.

Aurora is around $6-7 share and Canopy is at $30.

Canopy just moved to the NYSE and Aurora trades on the TSX. I have already made quite a bit of money on both of them and now I'm holding them until Canada finishes legalizing later this year.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Thanks!
Here is a more recent study that found no measurable decrease in IQ in teens when environmental conditions were taken into account (ie, using twins):

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/twins-study-finds-no-evidence-marijuana-lowers-iq-teens

RG20
What do you get, and where do you get it?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It does take some research to find a dealer in states where it's not fully legal. Vaporizers are the way of future and a more controllable high than edibles
administrative errors
I like discretion vaporizers provide, agree it is quick intake and easy to provide accurate dosages as the onset is incredibly quick. I think CBD cigarettes will make a new wave of cigarettes that will be exceptionally popular.

Public companies? I honestly don't put any effort into the subject. I'd rather build my own path than invest in someone elses. There's so much opportunity out there it's ridiculous.

Soon as you can you should grow your own plant. It's healing in its own way and I think it should be far more common knowledge. Grow your own medicine? Hell yes!
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.