Business & Investing
Sponsored by

401k allocation question

1,099 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YouBet
Another Doug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Met with Financial adviser about adjusting my 401k allocations (this is one my company controls, so adviser doesn't have anything to gain from advice).

Most of what he recommended was pretty tame, but he said to stick 30% in the "Foreign Large Growth" fund (namely OIGYX). What says texags?

Good Poster
AG
Asking a professional and then verifying their advice on here with strangers is super texagsy

But

As long as he evaluated your risk tolerance and distributed the rest of your allocations accordingly then the fund looks fine. Hard to tell without knowing your other fund options within the 401k plan.
Old Buffalo
AG
30% international is a pretty good rule of thumb. I am 60/30/10 (US/INTL/Bonds) right now. There's definitely diversification benefits.

I don't know if 100% of that 30% should be in large caps, you'd probably want some exposure to small to mid caps in developing areas since that's where growth is going to come from.
Another Doug
AG
Money Ag said:

Asking a professional and then verifying their advice on here with strangers is super texagsy

But

As long as he evaluated your risk tolerance and distributed the rest of your allocations accordingly then the fund looks fine. Hard to tell without knowing your other fund options within the 401k plan.
I understand where you are coming from, just mainly looking for a sanity check. The same guy did not advise me to do the same amount when I last reallocated, and this was a pretty big jump so I wanted a collective second opinion (along with some additional research on my own part).
YouBet
AG
He could be one of the folks in the vanguard predicting a US recession later this year and is wanting you to diversify against that. It's definitely a topic that is starting to bubble up in some circles I'm in. But...who knows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.