Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best reward credit card?

3,773 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GigEmAgs14
ApachePilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nvm
I see the earlier thread covering the subject.
JSKolache
AG
Debit card. skip the gimmicks & don't spend what you don't have.
TXAGFAN
AG
JSKolache said:

LOL what? If you have the discipline to pay it that's free money.
The Anchor
AG
JSKolache said:

Those gimmicks paid for numerous free vacations including Lake Tahoe, Mexico x 2 and a recently booked Florida trip for 5.
Al Bula
AG
JSKolache said:

Flagged for trolling since not helpful or germane to the question asked.
suburban cowboy
AG
Using what card?
fourth deck
AG
JSKolache said:

And when your debit card number is stolen, you can watch your checking account get drained in real time. This wouldn't happen with a credit card.
rgag12
AG
JSKolache said:

Not a smart move. I live a debt free life and only use charge cards. Just pay the balance at then end of the month and in you still get bonus cash, miles, rewards, etc.

Using a debit card ONLY is If you don't make a lot of money and spending money is an issue, or if you're in a foreign country.
Duncan Idaho
fourth deck said:

JSKolache said:

And when your debit card number is stolen, you can watch your checking account get drained in real time. This wouldn't happen with a credit card.

This is reason enough to only use a debit card as a last resort.

To answer the op,
I carry an Amazon prime card for Amazon purchases (5% back on Amazon)
And a Chase Sapphire for almost everything else. It is pricey but you get a lot of it back in the travel credit and I get a pretty good amount of use from the airport club access (particularly in LAX)

jtraggie99
AG
Every time I see this asked I feel like it can be summed up in two words, it depends. There is no one "best" card for any and all. If you simply want cash back, that may narrow it down some. Even then you're probably better off with multiple cards to maximize points depending on what you are buying. If it's travel, where do you want to go? What type of places do you like to stay? It really just depends. This website is a great resource Doctor of Credit

And if you are wanting to maximize points, your best bet is sign-up bonuses, which means opening new cards regularly. A lot of people don't want to mess with that, but it can be lucrative.

And as has been said over and over, as long as you aren't spending money on things you would not ordinarily buy and are paying your bill in full each month, there is nothing wrong with putting every purchase you can on credit cards for this purpose.
The Anchor
AG
IceCream14 said:

Using what card?
Several. I have been active in shopping new cards every few months. My wife and I get separate accounts, spend until we hit the sign up bonuses, and then get new cards. Our credit scores have not changed at all (both in the 825 to 850 range) and we aren't in the need for a home or car loan anytime soon. We have had the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Southwest Card, and Chase Business Ink. Right now I am about to hit the bonus for Chase United and I just got the Citi Premier card. Those two will give us about $2,500 in bonuses combined, as well.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - paid for several weekend trips, a week long all inclusive in Mexico, and a couple of days in Tahoe
Chase Southwest - paid for flights for 2 to Tahoe and flights for 5 to Florida
Chase Business Ink - paid for a week long hotel suite in Florida
MAS444
AG
So do you cancel the cards before a year comes up and they charge you the annual fee? Seems like the annual fee would cancel a lot of the rewards.
The Anchor
AG
Yes, we cancel the cards. Some of the fees have to be paid upfront. However, the rewards far outweigh any upfront annual fees.

Examples:
Chase Sapphire Reserve x 2 - annual fees for both cards were $450 each. But, you get $300 credit on each card towards travels purchases. It's essentially a $150 annually fee. It comes with Priority Pass (secluded airport lounges). The sign up bonus then was 100,000 points for each card which at the time was worth $1,500 for each card ($3,000 total).

Chase Business Ink - around a $100 upfront fee, but I got a 80,000 point bonus which turned into about $1,200.

Chase Southwest - we got two cards and paid the fee upfront. I think it was $69 for each card. We got 60,000 miles for each card and booked 7 total round trip flights and we still have points left over.

So we "made" or saved nearly $6,000 in travel costs in 2 years off these three cards.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Uber Credit Card.

1) No Fee
2) 4% cash back on restaurants and bars
3) 3% cash back on hotels and airfare
4) 2% cash back on online purchases including uber, streaming services, and online shopping
5) 1% cash back on everything else
6) $100 after you spend your first $500
7) $50 subscription credit after you spend $5k on your card per year
8) Up to $600 for mobile phone damage or theft when you pay your mobile phone bill with your card

https://www.uber.com/c/uber-credit-card2/?utm_source=&utm_campaign=_uber%20credit%20card_kwd-304706148452_231563986008_48318141077_e_c&cid=978190076&adg_id=48318141077&fi_id=&match=e&net=g&dev=c&dev_m=&cre=231563986008&kwid=kwd-304706148452&kw=uber%20credit%20card&placement=&tar=
DallasAggie0
Aggiesincebirth said:

Uber Credit Card.

1) No Fee
4) 2% cash back on online purchases including uber, streaming services, and online shopping
8) Up to $600 for mobile phone damage or theft when you pay your mobile phone bill with your card

https://www.uber.com/c/uber-credit-card2/?utm_source=&utm_campaign=_uber%20credit%20card_kwd-304706148452_231563986008_48318141077_e_c&cid=978190076&adg_id=48318141077&fi_id=&match=e&net=g&dev=c&dev_m=&cre=231563986008&kwid=kwd-304706148452&kw=uber%20credit%20card&placement=&tar=
This is actually a pretty good deal for those of us who are young, single and get ****faced every weekend and like to travel
Ragoo
AG
The Anchor said:

Yes, we cancel the cards. Some of the fees have to be paid upfront. However, the rewards far outweigh any upfront annual fees.

Examples:
Chase Sapphire Reserve x 2 - annual fees for both cards were $450 each. But, you get $300 credit on each card towards travels purchases. It's essentially a $150 annually fee. It comes with Priority Pass (secluded airport lounges). The sign up bonus then was 100,000 points for each card which at the time was worth $1,500 for each card ($3,000 total).

Chase Business Ink - around a $100 upfront fee, but I got a 80,000 point bonus which turned into about $1,200.

Chase Southwest - we got two cards and paid the fee upfront. I think it was $69 for each card. We got 60,000 miles for each card and booked 7 total round trip flights and we still have points left over.

So we "made" or saved nearly $6,000 in travel costs in 2 years off these three cards.
is there a place to 'pool' your points from all of these different cards?
752bro4
AG
Quote:

You can pool your Ultimate Rewards points with a family member. My wife and I combine ours monthly between a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire, and 2 Chase Business Ink cards.
The Anchor
AG
^ what they said. Although, we travel as much as we can so we don't have a need to pool them. Once we hit 60k plus we go somewhere and burn the points.
Ragoo
AG
752bro4 said:

Quote:

You can pool your Ultimate Rewards points with a family member. My wife and I combine ours monthly between a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire, and 2 Chase Business Ink cards.
i mean across multiple cards and multiple accounts, like a comprehensive bank of points.
752bro4
AG
No, each issuer has their own system of miles or points.

Chase allows you to combine their Ultimate Rewards points with a family member/spouse. Chase points can be converted to Southwest Miles, United Miles, and several other travel partners. You can also use them to book travel through Chase's site, get cash back, gift cards, or shop on Amazon.

Citi and Barclays allow you to pool AA miles from their respective ways of earning into your singular AAvantage account.
Ragoo
AG
Any advantage with banking with chase on top of the cc? Extra perks?
The Anchor
AG
Not that I've seen. I bank with them and have a mortgage with them. But, I don't see any benefit other than their website is really easy to use.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Does anyone know if you can switch out a current Chase credit card with a different one without any hassle/fees/dings against length of credit history?
The Wonderer
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Uber Credit Card.

1) No Fee

That's actually pretty good. Picked it up.
The Anchor
AG
GigEmAgs14 said:

Does anyone know if you can switch out a current Chase credit card with a different one without any hassle/fees/dings against length of credit history?
I'd recommend keeping 1 to 3 lines of long history open. Just open new accounts and close them after you've used the point bonus.
Ragoo
AG
The Anchor said:

GigEmAgs14 said:

I'd recommend keeping 1 to 3 lines of long history open. Just open new accounts and close them after you've used the point bonus.
1) open card
2) use card to achieve point bonus
3) spend point bonus
4) close card?

What if you want to accumulate points on multiple cards over 6-12 months?

Example:
I have an AMEX
Wife has an AMEX
Don't plan to ever close these. Maybe just stop using them.
Me open new card and spend to get bonus points. Month 1-3
Wife open new card and spend to get bonus points. Month 1-3
Me open new card and spend to get bonus. Month 4-6, close previous card?
Similar for wife
Repeat
Diggity
AG
not bad at all for a free card.

Surprised you don't get Uber VIP with that
Diggity
AG
in many cases you can...I got the Sapphire Reserve, which made my Sapphire Preferred unnecessary.

Before the annual fee came back up, I just had them switch it to a Freedom Unlimited, which caries no fee and gives you 1.5% ultimate rewards on all purchases (which equates to 2.25% after transferring them to your Sapphire pool and using for travel online).

Couldn't have been easier. They just changed the card to a Freedom on the spot. Same number and everything. They did send me a new one since it was expiring in a few months anyway.
The Anchor
AG
Ragoo said:

The Anchor said:

GigEmAgs14 said:

1) open card
2) use card to achieve point bonus
3) spend point bonus
4) close card?

What if you want to accumulate points on multiple cards over 6-12 months?

Example:
I have an AMEX
Wife has an AMEX
Don't plan to ever close these. Maybe just stop using them.
Me open new card and spend to get bonus points. Month 1-3
Wife open new card and spend to get bonus points. Month 1-3
Me open new card and spend to get bonus. Month 4-6, close previous card?
Similar for wife
Repeat

Pretty much. We burn our points often since we try to travel a lot. We haven't had to worry about expiring points or annual fees the second year.
devastor
AG
Chase Sapphire Reserve is where it is at, especially for frequent travelers and going out to eaters.
GigEmAgs14
AG
devastor said:

Chase Sapphire Reserve is where it is at, especially for frequent travelers and going out to eaters.
Even with the $150 annual fee? That's what is holding me back from getting it. I currently have the Chase Freedom.
malenurse
AG
You should convert your AMEX to Blue Cash Preferred.

6% cash back on groceries up to 6k
3% back on fuel purchases
1% on everything else

My wife uses AMEX for all groceries
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
COSCAG67
AG
Alliant is 3% on everything no limit your first year, 2.5% no limits every year after that.
Hoyt Ag
AG
How much annually do u spend?
COSCAG67
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.