Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Surviving the last few years before retiring ?

4,204 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiedata
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Other people's work habits have affected who you are as a person such that your wife has noticed?

Could be off here but maybe some hormone issues with you.
Burdizzo
AG
I found myself in a similar situation a few years ago. I found myself approaching a retirement eligibility threshold and decided that if a promotion didn't happen soon I was leaving when I hit eligibility. The promotions didn't happen, and with about 18 months to go I knew I was just marking time. It was hard to go to work knowing I was leaving. I didn't think the short timer apathy could happen with that long of a horizon, but it can. I hope you find some motivation.
Wrighty
AG
You've been there 30 years. And will retire in 2-4. The owner trusts you as a key guy, so you are respected and valued.

And you want to leave because the young new guys just don't get it? I think you'd be dissapointed at what other places are like, and be dissapointed to be the new guy.

How about you stick it out and do something about the new guys. Talk to the owner guy, explain your culture concerns effect on profitability, and have a frank discussion about fixing the concerns. Maybe a few bad apples get fired. Maybe you take on more leadership role. Or maybe the owner will do something about it.
Picard
AG
It's called "Retired in Place Syndrome". I'm going to explain this to you, but you're not going to like it.

You've essentially been at this company your entire career and you don't know anything else. Change is not going to be easy for you, and part of your dilemma is the idea of doing something different every day vs. the work routine. You may tell yourself that you don't fear the transition to retirement and think you're ready to retire, but deep down there's a fear about what happens after you lose your work identity.

Intentional or not, your long tenure at this one company has tied your personal identity to your job. Therefore you end up projecting your fear of retirement onto the younger employees as things they are doing wrong. Sure, they are probably doing a few things wrong and there are things you can do better than them. But there's also things they can do better and/or faster than you. They handle technology with ease. These realizations unsettle you.

So kick back and enjoy your final years. Freedom is right around the corner. Start taking more time off here and there to enjoy life. And for heavens sake don't change jobs now.

ATM9000
AG
Tom Scholz said:

Any thoughts, tips and advice for surviving the last 2-4 years before I retire?
Currently 58 and been with the same company for 30+ years ( 100 Employees) great place to work, treat folks well with good pay, vacations ,benefits and bonuses. The past few years a lot of the old goats have retired, and in the next 3-5 it will be many more including me who have 30+ years in as well. The past year has been a transition year, owners son is now in charge and is getting more hands on ( ok with that, it's been needed at times) We get along great and he values my opinions and has a very open door policy. I must be the old guy yelling at the clouds, but I just do not see the work effort and giving a CRAP from a lot of people hired in the last 10 years, folks just do not appreciate how good a place it is and have become very lazy and have sloppy work habits.
It's becoming harder to get up going this past year compared the past, and even my wife says I have changed---yikes. I still like the daily challenges, but look forward to something different in a few years !!
So any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Always remember that 30 years ago, you had sloppy work habits too whether you want to admit it or not.

Embrace collaboration... the young guns are gonna be better than you at technology and stuff and probably be quicker than you at tasks... let them do them and learn the business. You focus on mentoring and leading vs. judging.
The Original AG 76
AG
ATM9000 said:

Tom Scholz said:

Currently 58 and been with the same company for 30+ years ( 100 Employees) great place to work, treat folks well with good pay, vacations ,benefits and bonuses. The past few years a lot of the old goats have retired, and in the next 3-5 it will be many more including me who have 30+ years in as well. The past year has been a transition year, owners son is now in charge and is getting more hands on ( ok with that, it's been needed at times) We get along great and he values my opinions and has a very open door policy. I must be the old guy yelling at the clouds, but I just do not see the work effort and giving a CRAP from a lot of people hired in the last 10 years, folks just do not appreciate how good a place it is and have become very lazy and have sloppy work habits.
It's becoming harder to get up going this past year compared the past, and even my wife says I have changed---yikes. I still like the daily challenges, but look forward to something different in a few years !!

Always remember that 30 years ago, you had sloppy work habits too whether you want to admit it or not.

Embrace collaboration... the young guns are gonna be better than you at technology and stuff and probably be quicker than you at tasks... let them do them and learn the business. You focus on mentoring and leading vs. judging.
sooooo much truth here. I am one of the lifers ( decades at the same saltmine) then out the door types. We all sat around the last few years and lamented the young uns and their work habits UNTIL.. on a Friday afternoon a few years ago I had a " crisis" job that needed some engineering done PRONTO. I hit up the 30something engineer only to be treated with " its Friday at 3 !!! I'm outa here in an hour..Ill do it Monday " to which I retorted the usual " when I was your age WE never had a weekend off..we never let a life interfere with the job..blah blah blah FULL BLOWN WOE IS ME MARTYR CRAP.." to which he replied...." yea and what the hell did it get you? My dad was like you and I don't even know WHO THE HELL HE IS THANKS TO THAT MARTYR CRAP of you guys!!!!"
Gane ...set...match..... He was CORRECT ! I look back , now that I've been gone a few years and CLEARLY understand that NO ONE CARES and NOTHING I did during those 45 years amount to a hill of beans to ANYONE anymore. That MONSTER save the world make the company millions job that was so important and vital that I had to spend 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day for MONTHS working on is long forgotten to EVERYBODY ! ( including me) Yet I'll never get back the missed Nebraska game, the missed fishing trip with the guys, the missed family outings or , for Gods sake, my great grandmothers funeral plus hundreds of other events ......... These kids are SMARTER and have a healthier outlook and understanding of the proper role of work/life. I DEEPLY regret the man years and tremendous amount of energy I wasted on a job instead of a life. The NANO-SECOND you can get away and start LIVING for how ever many years you have left ..DO IT..Do NOT pass GO ..do NOT collect $200...GET THE HELL OUT AND LIVE !!!!
Post removed:
by user
Waltonloads08
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

ATM9000 said:

Tom Scholz said:

sooooo much truth here. I am one of the lifers ( decades at the same saltmine) then out the door types. We all sat around the last few years and lamented the young uns and their work habits UNTIL.. on a Friday afternoon a few years ago I had a " crisis" job that needed some engineering done PRONTO. I hit up the 30something engineer only to be treated with " its Friday at 3 !!! I'm outa here in an hour..Ill do it Monday " to which I retorted the usual " when I was your age WE never had a weekend off..we never let a life interfere with the job..blah blah blah FULL BLOWN WOE IS ME MARTYR CRAP.." to which he replied...." yea and what the hell did it get you? My dad was like you and I don't even know WHO THE HELL HE IS THANKS TO THAT MARTYR CRAP of you guys!!!!"
Gane ...set...match..... He was CORRECT ! I look back , now that I've been gone a few years and CLEARLY understand that NO ONE CARES and NOTHING I did during those 45 years amount to a hill of beans to ANYONE anymore. That MONSTER save the world make the company millions job that was so important and vital that I had to spend 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day for MONTHS working on is long forgotten to EVERYBODY ! ( including me) Yet I'll never get back the missed Nebraska game, the missed fishing trip with the guys, the missed family outings or , for Gods sake, my great grandmothers funeral plus hundreds of other events ......... These kids are SMARTER and have a healthier outlook and understanding of the proper role of work/life. I DEEPLY regret the man years and tremendous amount of energy I wasted on a job instead of a life. The NANO-SECOND you can get away and start LIVING for how ever many years you have left ..DO IT..Do NOT pass GO ..do NOT collect $200...GET THE HELL OUT AND LIVE !!!!

Interesting post.

I think a lot of it has to do with us 30 year olds coming of age during the financial crisis and great recession. We watched millions of people who had busted their ass for decades get kicked to the curb and their 401ks lose half their value in a matter of months. Then we started out with experienced competition for entry level jobs with all those laid off workers. We had student loan bills. Couldn't afford a home because housing prices shot through the roof with mega low interests rates, and no one builds entry level homes that aren't 60 miles from town. Not complaining, that's just how it is.

The upshot is realizing your work's management doesn't really give a damn about you or your family, so you have to take the initiative.
ac04
ATXAdvisor
AG
I was in a similar position, but not quite as far along as you, a few years ago. After 20+ years at the same place with great pay, benefits, etc...I found myself marking days off the calendar. As soon as I started thinking that way, I became miserable. I didn't sleep on Sunday nights, I was always irritable, and found myself becoming more and more cynical.

Finally, it reached a breaking point when dealing with a low performing disgruntled employee when I realized life was too short to be miserable. It was the opening day of dove season in 2014. I left the office and went hunting, called my boss and quit after limiting out. I then started my own business and have never looked back. I'm not saying you should do the same, but I firmly believe my life expectancy increased that day.

When I got in the truck, Paul Thorn's Everything's Gonna Be Alright was playing on the radio. He was right.
GenericAggie
AG
I think finding something outside of work that drives your passion is needed. Perhaps a charity, or get involved at church. Something that gives you a feeling of worth. When we help others, we feel better about ourselves...
62strat
AG
Tom Scholz said:

Thanks--all good reply's and thoughts !

See, you can't do everything right.
aggiebrad94
AG
Best recommendation I can give you is to practice your retirement over the next couple of years. Whenever you have off days, practice doing what you think you'll be doing when you quit working. If you think you'll write a book, travel, garden, whatever - try it for a week or two and see how it fits.
aggies12thman
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I work at a place similar to Original Ag. I'm about 6 years out of school and still currently surviving the O&G downturn. The old timers here always say, 'you guys have it easy. We used to work weekends, late nights, etc.' The typical martyr crap that Original Ag stated above. They are all full of crap. In 6 months, nobody will even notice you are gone from your job. We had people with 30-40 years take retirement packages in the downturn and ill ask 'How is so and so doing' to others that worked with them for dozens of years, went to lunch, etc. Nobody knows. They don't call and catch up or check to see how the kids/ grandkids/ wife/husband are doing. It's fascinating to watch and helped me realize that all of the late nights and weekends i put in at the start of my job, will be worthless in the end. My faith, family, and hobbies have now taken a front seat to my job. I'm only a number and I take care of what I can while I am at the office. I'll answer a call or email from clients via phone at night or on weekends but that's it. I do not take my computer home. We are just numbers and its good that you realized it now before you hit retirement and your good friend John from work doesn't call anymore. Get hobbies, spend more time with your family, and utilize your faith (if you are religious).
SquareOne07
AG
Why not retire?
mhayden
Someday I'll go and call up Rudy
We worked together at the factory
But what could I say if asks "What's new?"
"Nothing, what's with you? Nothing much to do"
aggies12thman
AG
We all try and convince ourselves that working is fun and we don't know what we would do without it. The bottom line is we are all optimists trying to justify a bad situation. I always ask this question to some of the old timers around here that tell me they will work till they die because they love it. 'Would you come to work for free?' I have yet to have somebody say 'yes'.

My mother was like the old timers above. She ran her own company for 15 years in addition to working another 20 and closed her doors during the O&G downturn at the young age of 56. She calls me darn near everyday saying she is ready to go back to work. The problem is: She hasn't done it and never will. She still preaches everyday that work is the lifeblood of society and we need it to stay active. What she doesn't realize is that she picked up hobbies. She is running the Church bazaar, ranching (cutting grass on her tractor), gardening, yoga, and on and on. She's happier than ever other than some mind game she plays thinking she is worthless without a job. I remind her everyday that we are glad to be able to spend more time with her and how much we still learn from her everyday.

You will figure it out and the best days of your life lay ahead.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

UNTIL.. on a Friday afternoon a few years ago I had a " crisis" job that needed some engineering done PRONTO. I hit up the 30something engineer only to be treated with " its Friday at 3 !!! I'm outa here in an hour..Ill do it Monday " to which I retorted the usual " when I was your age WE never had a weekend off..we never let a life interfere with the job..blah blah blah FULL BLOWN WOE IS ME MARTYR CRAP.." to which he replied...." yea and what the hell did it get you? My dad was like you and I don't even know WHO THE HELL HE IS THANKS TO THAT MARTYR CRAP of you guys!!!!"

Gane ...set...match..... He was CORRECT ! I look back , now that I've been gone a few years and CLEARLY understand that NO ONE CARES and NOTHING I did during those 45 years amount to a hill of beans to ANYONE anymore.

In general your'e probably correct but there are situations where lives , property, or major $ are at stake. In those cases a " find an answer now" mentality is necessary and in those cases good management and coworkers do remember it when you step up, albeit maybe they only remember it for a year or two. I can think of instances where if I or any other employee had refused to step up at critical times and chip in they'd have been fired on the spot.

Most problems aren't crises that need to be addressed immediately. The guy that cries wolf every time he has a problem he needs some help with is pretty quickly recognized after a few cycles.

I do agree that even good to great employees are forgotten pretty quickly once theyr'e gone and some are forgotten even before theyr'e gone.
Aston 91
AG
free_mhayden said:

Someday I'll go and call up Rudy
We worked together at the factory
But what could I say if asks "What's new?"
"Nothing, what's with you? Nothing much to do"
Apologies for the thread derail, but John Prine is now as old as the people he wrote about in this song almost 50 years ago. And if you're looking for answers to life's difficult questions, his songs are as good a place as any to start (and you'll get a chuckle or two along the way).
CoachRTM
AG
I'm a thirty-something, so I won't have retirement advice for you. I have plenty of plans, but no experience.

One idea : find one of these younger guys or girls that you see potential in and help them. Create a mentor/ mentee relationship that you can cultivate over your final months/years there. It might help pass the time and create something to look forward to. If nothing else, if you pick the right person, they will be eternally grateful. I have a few mentors that I'll never forget and I still keep up with even though none of us work at that company any more.
HoustonAg2014
AG
This post couldn't be more true. My mom worked 30 years in an oil and gas company mostly in accounting and finance. She worked long weekends and 12 hour days up until she retired. I left the finance organization because I saw first hand what it did to her work life balance. So many weekends growing up where she would spend Saturdays and Sundays at work and I refused to do that. When she retired, her boss who she has known for 20 years in different roles, showed up for 5 minutes to her retirement party. She missed the 30 year mark by 1 month and because she missed it by a month did not receive the 30 year anaversary gift.

I ask my mom how many people she talks to from the company she worked 30 years at and she told me 2. TWO?! She was very well liked at the company and a lot of people would ask me how my mom was doing while she was working for the company. The same people don't ask anymore.

It really is eye opening how quickly work relationships disappear when someone leaves or retires. It could take 30 years knowing someone and then the day you retire, you may never see any of those people again.
smucket
AG
Quote:

I've had this mindset for at least 5 years and I'm still on the job. I'm shocked no one has called me on it...in fact I was just promoted to a corporate officer position. The promotion is something I probably would have killed for 15 years ago, but now at 29yrs with this company I'm just ready to get the hell out and do something better with my life. First world problems, I know. Anyway, I look for anything online that can help me and this site is one of my favorites https://www.financialsamurai.com/
It's sort of directed at the younger crowd and how you can set yourself up to retire early, but there are a lot of older people on the site also who give their suggestions on how to get out of the rat race and what to do with your time. Just another idea.

Whoever said to approach this time as you-mentor/younger person-mentee was spot on. Find someone who you would like to pass on all of your knowledge to and focus on bettering that person(s). That's what I've been doing for several years now. The less you make this time about yourself and the more you give to someone else, the better you will feel about getting up and going into the office everyday.
drill4oil78
AG
aggies12thman said:

The Original AG 76 said:

I work at a place similar to Original Ag. I'm about 6 years out of school and still currently surviving the O&G downturn. The old timers here always say, 'you guys have it easy. We used to work weekends, late nights, etc.' The typical martyr crap that Original Ag stated above. They are all full of crap. In 6 months, nobody will even notice you are gone from your job. We had people with 30-40 years take retirement packages in the downturn and ill ask 'How is so and so doing' to others that worked with them for dozens of years, went to lunch, etc. Nobody knows. They don't call and catch up or check to see how the kids/ grandkids/ wife/husband are doing. It's fascinating to watch and helped me realize that all of the late nights and weekends i put in at the start of my job, will be worthless in the end. My faith, family, and hobbies have now taken a front seat to my job. I'm only a number and I take care of what I can while I am at the office. I'll answer a call or email from clients via phone at night or on weekends but that's it. I do not take my computer home. We are just numbers and its good that you realized it now before you hit retirement and your good friend John from work doesn't call anymore. Get hobbies, spend more time with your family, and utilize your faith (if you are religious).
It use to be that there were no holidays or weekends in the oilfield. I always said you could sleep when you are dead. I worked the last 19 years of my career in my own business mainly overseas and it was long days with many of those days away from home turning into months at a time in the beginning, but it was worth it in the long run, but I do have some regrets during that stretch. I was away during many holidays and birthdays. Special days missed that cannot be brought back, but my kids understood what I was doing. I also missed many Aggie football games (some I was glad I missed). One thing about working for yourself in the consulting business is you can choose who you work for and you don't have to put up with BS in the workplace that most employees of oil companies or service companies have to do day to day. I am retired now and I did so at age 61. The one thing I can tell you is retirement takes time to get use to as far as not having day to day job related responsibilities any longer and living off your investments and not having that steady income pour in every month. I have a few pensions from previous companies I worked for in the past and I have taken social security early, but my wife and I live mainly off our investments. Most companies have no pensions these days so people have to plan accordingly. Also have a plan regarding what you are going to do with yourself during the next 20-25 years. You can't sit around the house 24/7. Your wife will throw you out. My wife has a small business that keeps her busy, but we plan 2-3 big trips a year around the US and maybe one out of the country and then the fall is Aggie football and tailgates. Keep yourself busy and active one way or another.
aggiedata
AG
Save as much as you can in the next 3 years. You survived this long, you know how it's done.

Father in law was in the same position as you at a company about the same size. Son didn't want the business so the old owner sold it off. New owner let everyone go and brought in a new team. He was 3 years from retirement. At that point it's over. He still is bitter about the entire deal and how it went down. You just never know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.