Business & Investing
Sponsored by

good energy picks right now?

2,562 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiehunter3
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you guys have any good picks in the energy sector that are worth a look right now?

giddings_ag_06
AG
Encana (ECA)

Been in it a while and have held out through this dip. Starting to rebound some though. Today has been a big day. I'm hoping for the $14-15 range sometime this summer.
chris1515
AG
What's the story with Encana? Why it over other stocks?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
I like the play they acquired from Athlon in the Permian and have been in them since they aquired them and bought more from time to time. Would like to know why to still be bullish on them?
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
halfastros81
AG
Check out SWN
SlackerAg
AG
GenericAggie
AG
Any emerging energy tech firms that are disrupting Schlumberger or Halliburton ?
IrishTxAggie
AG
SN and CHK
GenericAggie
AG
These are tech or traditional?
IrishTxAggie
AG
GenericAggie said:

Sanchez Energy and Chesapeake Energy. They're traditional O&G operations. They're sitting at all time lows or near all time lows.
Ragoo
AG
GenericAggie said:

Any emerging energy tech firms that are disrupting Schlumberger or Halliburton ?
username checks out
chris1515
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

GenericAggie said:

Sanchez Energy and Chesapeake Energy. They're traditional O&G operations. They're sitting at all time lows or near all time lows.

Why are they struggling? Poor execution? Bad assets? Too much debt/bad balance sheet?
oldarmy1
AG
chris1515 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

GenericAggie said:

Why are they struggling? Poor execution? Bad assets? Too much debt/bad balance sheet?

The entire sector was depressed. If it were balance sheet driven or execution SWN wouldn't have joined them. I like all 3 for long term doubles. Long term being less than a year now.
aggie028
AG
SN has $1.95B debt with $294MM ebitda
CHK has $9.97B debt with $2.22B ebitda
SWN has $4.39B debt on $1.66B ebitda

Relative to top tier performers, I'd say the first two have debt problems and SWN looks ok but not great. I haven't kept up with SWN but they were a gas company last I checked - that could be why they've traded down with gas pricing not looking too hot.
Furlock Bones
AG
aggie028 said:

SN has $1.95B debt with $294MM ebitda
CHK has $9.97B debt with $2.22B ebitda
SWN has $4.39B debt on $1.66B ebitda

Relative to top tier performers, I'd say the first two have debt problems and SWN looks ok but not great. I haven't kept up with SWN but they were a gas company last I checked - that could be why they've traded down with gas pricing not looking too hot.
CHK is still efffed.

SWN pumps out cash and can do it at some of the lowest gas prices possible. That's their saving grace.
oldarmy1
AG
Looking across the landscape this morning and most every energy stock is ignoring the negative market Futures. Market makers might take advantage of cautious sellers/buyers by using this to start the next leg higher.

I would watch SWN as an alert since it is close to its resistance. It pushes above $4.60 on volume and you have a decent indicator for others in sector.
aggiehunter3
AG
I bought WPX $15 calls for 4/20 (.2 premium) and 5/15 (.5 premium) expiration last week. Was hurting pretty bad but have recovered nicely the last couple of days. Sold the 4/20s for +100% and sold half of the 5/15s +100% to cover my cost. I will let the rest ride. I bought strictly for technical reasons. $15 is a huge level of resistance, so the stock could really get moving on a break with increased volume.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.