Business & Investing
Sponsored by

TurboTax Form Not Ready

2,776 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 2wealfth Man
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else trying to file their taxes with Turbotax and they when reviewing, they receive a message stating "It looks like some of your Federal Tax forms aren't ready yet".

Form 8606-T
Nondeductible IRA's

It appears I am actually waiting on the IRS to upload a form to the software company. I have never had any issues in 10 years with Turbotax.

More information-
The IRS is opening later than usual this year and some tax forms aren't ready for processing yet. There is a nationwide delay on these forms, no matter who's preparing them.
Historically, IRS tax forms start becoming available in January, with a few stragglers (most notably Form 1040X) getting finalized in February.
State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form.
For specific forms and dates, refer to the Forms Availability Table for your TurboTax product - See Related Information below.
Can I Still Work On My Return Before My Forms are Ready?
Yes, according to the following:
Federal Taxes
You can still work on your return and finish most of it. Once your forms become available, we'll create the forms and include all of your info.
  • You'll only be able to e-file or print your return once the forms are available.
While you're working on your return, we'll ask if you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.
HustlerAggie
I always wait until about a week before the deadline.

I tell myself it is just so I can be sure all the software and everything is up to date, but it is really because I am a procrastinator on taxes.
_lefraud_
AG
I got the same message around the 1st when I first tried to file. Got a message that it wouldn't be ready until 2/8, but then on 2/8, I got a message that said 2/15. I tried again today, but no luck yet.
Wheatables02
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I got the same message around the 1st when I first tried to file. Got a message that it wouldn't be ready until 2/8, but then on 2/8, I got a message that said 2/15. I tried again today, but no luck yet.
Thanks...I am waiting impatiently to get some of my money back!!
nactownag
AG
I had the same issue. It told me that it would be ready 2/15
BigPuma
AG
adjust your withholding to a smaller amount so you don't have to loan the government money.
Wheatables02
AG
BigPuma said:

adjust your withholding to a smaller amount so you don't have to loan the government money.
Duh, but I like a small check every spring!
Clavell
AG
I always wait because without fail my mutual funds send out a correction in early April.

"Facts no longer exist. Everything is a "point of view" now."
Daniel Suarez's 2011 "Freedom"
scottimus
AG
Does anyone check their status on the IRS website?

Turbotax told me it was accepted, but the IRS website says it is still processing.
agdaddy04
AG
If it's processing then that means it's been accepted, right? I think it's a matter of the language used between IRS and TT. Once it's done processing then you'll get your refund. Mine took 7 days I believe and the refund hit the bank yesterday.
HustlerAggie
Wheatables02 said:

BigPuma said:

Duh, but I like a small check every spring!
Why do you like earning less though?

In theory, you could put the amount you are loaning the government every paycheck (auto deposit even!) into some sort of investment and take it out as a larger paycheck around tax time if you wanted. (or just let it continue to grow)

Or...even better...you can owe the government money at tax time which means they lent you money at a 0% rate. You could have invested that money as well.

Anyone getting a check back at tax time is not doing it right.
agdaddy04
AG
Unless income fluctuates a good deal with bonuses/commissions.
HustlerAggie
Do you just mean because it is harder to predict gov't withholdings if income fluctuates? If that is your point, then I agree.

However, the basic premise that having withholdings as low as possible is the best course of action remains true even in that scenario.
agdaddy04
AG
Yes, that's what I mean
2wealfth Man
AG
This year has been whacky, there were a couple of 2017 tax impacting items in the temporary budget reconciliation bill passed on Feb. 9.. I have not seen anything so late before. The 1040 for 2017 will have to be updated to reflect the tuition and fees deduction which was brought back from the dead.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.