Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tax filing question regarding Rental income

505 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by combat wombat™
CalTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About 4 years ago my brother and I inherited a duplex rental. I set up an LLC with a 55/45% ownership.
So for the past 4 years, I have been filing taxes using H&R Block Premium & Business and send my brother his Schedule K-1 for his 45% portion blah blah blah. It's a headache every year filing the small business portion out.

This will be a dumb question, I'm sure. But... I want to drop the LLC and hopefully simplify my filing by just using H&R Block Premium (no business filing). Can I do that and just send him the 45% info for his personal filing? Or since we have a 55/45 "partnership" am I required to file as a business? Told you it was a dump Q.
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
You correctly went to the trouble to set up the LLC for liability protection.

I don't use personal tax prep software, so can't comment on how much trouble it is to use but,

you should keep the LLC and keep filing the biz return.

A CPA would charge roughly 2 hours around $300-350 to prepare the return
combat wombat™
AG
I have had clients who own a property in common with other individuals simply take all income and expenses and drop that into a spreadsheet or something like QuickBooks. Then each sibling takes their percentage share of the total of each line item. They don't have a separate company set up to do this. Each then just files their share of the total income and expense on Schedule C of their personal income tax return.

This was a perfectly acceptable method for each person to report their own share of income and expense.

This does not address personal liability issues with regard to the property.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.