Business & Investing
Sponsored by

ID Theft Protection?

572 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fourth deck
zip04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What ID Theft Protection does the board recommend?

My SSN, credit card, etc. has been compromised multiple times through the military, financial company breaches, etc., but I have been fortunate to not have anything more than $200 stolen to this point. I check my credit reports pretty regularly, but feel that really isn't enough.

I see many great reviews for some that offer constant scanning, alerts, etc. to notify you as soon as something looks suspicious. However, if something happens, they just walk you through the process but don't advocate for you.

Zander Insurance on the other hand offers practically nothing to help prevent something from occurring, but they do handle 100% of the aftermath in repairing your credit, etc. in the event your ID is stolen.

I see pros and cons to both.

Edit: I am currently leaning towards IDShield but will look more into freezing my credit this afternoon. I think the piece of mind of having a group of individuals to handle the aftermath for me, saving me the man hours and added frustration, is worth the cost. However, I am still researching my options.
BoDog
AG
Everybody says lifelock is a waste of money, you can do it yourself, etc ect yada yada. It has saved my ass more times than I can count. Atleast 2-3 times a year some bogus collection company is trying to put something on my credit report or last December some jack ass in a new jersey pawn shop was trying to open a line of credit in my name. I guess its safe to say my identity info is out there, but don't have the time nor inclination to monitor this stuff. LL is the best $20 a month I could spend.
Iowaggie
AG
See this thread on freezing credit.
https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2926601/replies/51032271
fourth deck
AG
BoDog said:

Everybody says lifelock is a waste of money, you can do it yourself, etc ect yada yada. It has saved my ass more times than I can count. Atleast 2-3 times a year some bogus collection company is trying to put something on my credit report or last December some jack ass in a new jersey pawn shop was trying to open a line of credit in my name. I guess its safe to say my identity info is out there, but don't have the time nor inclination to monitor this stuff. LL is the best $20 a month I could spend.
This is a good example of why nowadays I think it's better to freeze your credit sooner rather than later. Once someone opens up a line of credit on your SSN and defaults then a creditor will try and report it, regardless of whether you freeze or put a fraud alert on your credit report once you've found out about the identity theft. Then it's up to you or some identity theft service to correct it. For me personally I have frozen:

The credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax, Transunion, Innovis (often overlooked and I don't think LifeLock looks at this one)

ChexSystems: Used to open bank accounts and I don't think LifeLock looks at this one either

A credit freeze will not prevent all identity theft and neither will LifeLock, but I think a freeze can prevent much much more. Neither will prevent someone from filing a fake tax return on your SSN. Neither one will prevent someone from filing fake medical claims in your name. Neither one will prevent someone overtaking existing bank or investment accounts, etc., etc. Scary world out there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.