Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Starting to Invest

2,796 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Spinnerag
OJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'16 recently married and looking to put money away for the future. Any helpful tips for an Ag on how to begin this process?
TwoMarksHand
AG
Bogleheads
p-townag
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Teacher-Wealth-Should-Learned/dp/0470830069

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundIntExt=INT&FundId=0085&funds_disable_redirect=true
Wrighty
AG
Good job. By looking to educate yourself and by looking to start early, you are putting yourself ahead!

Read both books that p-town suggested.

You'll learn that it is important to save at least 10%-15%, to not try to time the market with your asset allocation, and to keep your investing costs down. If you do those things you will win.
EagleCamden
AG
Invest 10% of ur income every month. Scrape it off and forget about it
ktownag08
AG
Learn from your mistakes. Every investor makes them. The good investors simply learn not to keep repeating the same ones over.
Cancelled
AG
At your age? I'd set an auto investment of a nominal amount, say $50 per month to go into a mutual fund like an index fund. after 3 months, after you're "used" to the $50, push it to $100. keep increasing until it really starts to take a bite.
zip04
AG
I would HIGHLY recommend you and your wife work through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University together. It will help to ensure you are both on the same page, work with a zero-balance budget, etc. Regardless of your current financial situation, I find it beneficial for any newly married couple.
rgag12
AG
To piggyback of this, I'd recommend getting the "Mint" app and linking your accounts to that. It's a budgeting app and it's pretty neat. It got my wife, who was indifferent about finances before, to really be excited about budgets and goals.

We had some idea about if we were meeting our goals before but the budgeting app really makes it easy to see how we are doing and what expenses are giving us trouble when.

I also agree with the majority of posters on here that you need to invest at least 10% of your paycheck, start an IRA if you or your wife's employers don't offer 401Ks, and put the rest of your money you save each month in a high yield savings account, (Ally and Goldman Sachs have really good ones).

I'm class of 12' and we've been doing these things for several years now, and we are very much on our way to being able to retire early if we desire to.
RangerRick9211
AG
  • 401(k) to employer match
  • Fully fund Roth IRA
  • Fully fund 401(k)
  • Fully fund HSA
  • Taxable

My advice, hit the top three asap. That was our floor - not only to save, but lower our taxable income. Now we're 30 and life is on easy mode. Coupled with addressing maintenance items, e.g. shopping insurance, bugging Comcast about rates, etc.; and, visiting r/churning to still enjoy your 20s.
Ragoo
AG
i've never been to r/churning. can you give a brief explanation?
RangerRick9211
AG
Sure. It's amassing travel points via credit card rewards. Flyer Talk is another great resource.

People are initially spooked. But we currently have 800+ credit scores for my wife and I on 8 years and ~50+ credit cards. We average 4-5 domestic trips a year, ski addicts with a Companion Pass, and 1-2 international trips a year - mostly on points.
Ragoo
AG
You are not keeping all 50 lines of credit open right?
RangerRick9211
AG
No, not all. I only close or downgrade if there's an annual fee that I don't get something out of reconsideration, or is a churnable card that I want to get again in a few years.

Just checked Transunion: utilization is <1%, 18 accounts in the last two years, $200k+ available credit and an 810 score.
62strat
AG
Def. take advantage of card sign ups, as long as you aren't in market for house anytime soon.

In that past year I've signed up for SW, marriott, frontier and united, all with 50k sing up points (marriott with 100k)
I even did a best buy card, which got me enough best buy bucks to get a kevo smart lock, a wifi/smart thermostat for the house and a drone for kicks.

We have perfect credit, so it has no downside at all.
AgsMyDude
AG
This is a good workflow diagram IMO

https://imgur.com/CcEVQAV

TwoMarksHand
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

• Fully fund Roth IRA
  • Fully fund 401(k)
  • Fully fund HSA
  • Taxable

My advice, hit the top three asap. That was our floor - not only to save, but lower our taxable income. Now we're 30 and life is on easy mode. Coupled with addressing maintenance items, e.g. shopping insurance, bugging Comcast about rates, etc.; and, visiting r/churning to still enjoy your 20s.
I would bump that HSA funding higher than a Roth IRA, just underneath the employer match. It's a triple tax advantage vehicle that can be used like an IRA once you hit the legal retirement age.
RangerRick9211
AG
10-4.

I don't have one.

So thanks for the information!
Spinnerag
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

• Fully fund Roth IRA
  • Fully fund 401(k)
  • Fully fund HSA
  • Taxable

If you want to be generous to your future kid, I would add a 529 to the list ..just above the taxable. Even a $100 per month would go a long way
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.