Business & Investing
Sponsored by

S-Corp and "reasonable salary"

1,758 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EagleCamden
nomad2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand that a pass-through has to pay shareholders that provide services a "reasonable salary".

What I don't understand if how that salary number will be determined by the IRS in an audit.

If the salary is within the range of what that person would get paid as an employee for those services, will the IRS care how much money goes to that person as shareholder distributions? I.e Would they compare it against a high distribution amount and say that person needs to get an increased salary?
0708aggie
AG
Long read, but this could help.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2011/aug/nitti-aug2011.html
nomad2007
AG
0708aggie said:

Long read, but this could help.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2011/aug/nitti-aug2011.html

That was exhaustive. Thanks.

Seems most of those cases were pretty egregious, but they don't seem to have taken the distribution amount into consideration for the salary. I'm sure it factored into the decision to audit though.
The Wonderer
AG
The amount of distributions is a separate question of fact from what a reasonable salary is.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Are guaranteed payments and salaries for owners any different?

Either way they're self-employed and factor into individuals' capital accounts (used later for basis).
Harkrider 93
AG
The most common answer I get from CPAs is 50/50. They say it does depend on you business and you can be more liberal in the first few years.
BigPuma
AG
I tell clients it is a function of revenue and profit. I normally don't exceed the ACA max though.
combat wombat™
AG
Guaranteed payments are for partners who provide services in a partnership.
EagleCamden
AG
I started out paying myself minimum wage. Then For a long Time I paid myself 40k per year. Now I make $50k.

Reasonable wage
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.