Business & Investing
Sponsored by

This market sucks

10,718 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
WestTexAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just tell me it's going to be ok...

It's hard to watch my estimated earnings plummet. Earnings are down 60% from what they were before this started.

I didn't experience the 2008 crash, so I'm sure it'll work out... right?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
IrishTxAggie
AG
Assuming your class year is 12 given your handle, you'll be fine.
Aggiemike96
AG
I moved $75,000 cash into the market 15 days ago. Dumbest thing I've done in years.
WestTexAg12
AG
My biggest regret is that I have no cash so I can buy at the dip
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
62strat
AG
yeh nothing like logging in and seeing today's gain/loss - $7,500

oh well, f-it. I'm back to where I was end of december, so I'm good.
62strat
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

I'm about to get my company's profit sharing any day now. I'm patiently waiting!
IrishTxAggie
AG
I get my bonus April 1... Then it's time to bargain shop!!
CS78
The people that are in longterm need to look away. The people that have cash should be starting to smell opportunity. The people that were over exposed knew better. No one should be surprised.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

If you are contributing to your 401k and it's in stocks you are buying the dip.
txag2008
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Earnings are down 60% from what they were before this started.
Market is down ~10% last 10days. Your 60% number sounds interesting
Wizard
Waiting to see how low the drop goes before I make my $5500 for 2017 Roth Contribution. Also have considerable cash ready in case a true crash occurs.
WestTexAg12
AG
txag2008 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

Earnings are down 60% from what they were before this started.
Market is down ~10% last 10days. Your 60% number sounds interesting

Well I bought a couple of long term options in January. That's partly why.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
You'll be fine. If you sell, you'll lock in a loss. Ride it out.

Just remember this, it's a rising interest rate environment and equities will correct as ZIRP is gone.

However, if the market overheats to the downside the FOMC can always step in and announce -

1. End QT and infuse QE#4.
-or-
2. Announce a delay in raising the overnight lending rate - justified by stating the credit markets no longer need reins pulled in.

The folks shorting the stock market would absolutely go crazy if 1 or 2 were announced or hinted.. I'd like to see the "hint" just to get the pot stirred.
WestTexAg12
AG
I also just realized that my USAA account is weird. It shows NVDA and FEYE , two of my top positions, as -5% or so because it is basing it off the open price. So it's very skewed today because of that. I was wondering why I was so far in the red on today alone
Post removed:
by user
AgFan2015
Obvious market manipulation is obvious......

Big money moving out of bonds into equities didn't want to buy in at inflated prices.

Dow 28k by June.
AggieFrog
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Just tell me it's going to be ok...

It's hard to watch my estimated earnings plummet. Earnings are down 60% from what they were before this started.

I didn't experience the 2008 crash, so I'm sure it'll work out... right?

Diversify and use index funds, invest consistently, and don't worry about the day to day markets. None of the current market jitters matters if you're '12. I'm '00 and about 15-20 years from retirement - putting away 10-20% of your income aside greatly outweighs any near time market movements.
claym711
AG
At some point the idea that investments are set and forget and over time will make make...... is going to stop working.
Clavell
AG
So we're back to where we were in November. Big deal.
JSKolache
AG
claym711 said:

At some point the idea that investments are set and forget and over time will make make...... is going to stop working.
Vote Republican.
Bocephus
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

What has dipped so low that it is looking like a bargain now? Nothing I'm into is down far enough to make me jump. Maybe UA in the 11s and keeping my eye on TAP. Haven't seen anything else that jumped out at me.
IrishTxAggie
AG
BRK.B
drill4oil78
AG
If this is the beginning of a bear market which I doubt you will have several months to get out before the real decline occurs. You are currently seeing weak hands get washed out. I have seen many drops since the late 70's and early 80's and studied many bear markets after WWII and you always have 3-4 months to get out on a rally even after a significant drop. Never make a decision on these fast drops they are generally corrections. There will generally be rallies up to the old highs or near the highs and then you can figure out then whether you want out. Bull markets generally don't end like the drop we have had the past 10 days. This drop was expected with the sentiment and margin debt at record highs. The market was more over bought than I have ever seen it. It is getting washed out and will take several months to work off the excesses. Would not surprise me that we are at record highs before this year is over, but the market will tell you if you listen.

Personally I think we are in the 8th inning of this bull. We will have one more push up that will probably last a year+ before a bear takes over for a year or two. Don't listen to all the perma bears and bulls on TV. These guys are trying to sell news letters, especially the bears. They are coming out of hibernation after being wrong for 9 years, but now they can tell you they were right like a broken clock is once a day.
AggieFrog
AG
Can't time the market (you can try but the odds are very much against you) - if you're truly an investor (meaning long term) your best move is to hold and ride it out.
drill4oil78
AG
I disagree you can time certain periods in the market like this recent top and the bottom in 2009. Not all the time but st big over bought and over sold periods. You can also see bear markets before they happen if you look for the right things most ignore. Buy and hold will kill you. Look at 2000-2009. Zero return if you held during that period. Hold during bull markets not in bears.especially a secular bear. You generally have a chance to get out of bear markets several times. Bull markets end quietly not on quick flush outs with the media screaming and market mavens coming out of hibernation telling you how smart they are. The market talks to you ... you just have to listen.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
WestTexAg12 said:

I also just realized that my USAA account is weird. It shows NVDA and FEYE , two of my top positions, as -5% or so because it is basing it off the open price. So it's very skewed today because of that. I was wondering why I was so far in the red on today alone
WestTexAg12 - did you get that second house purchased?
Wrighty
AG
drill4oil78 said:

I disagree you can time certain periods in the market like this recent top and the bottom in 2009. Not all the time but st big over bought and over sold periods. You can also see bear markets before they happen if you look for the right things most ignore. Buy and hold will kill you. Look at 2000-2009. Zero return if you held during that period. Hold during bull markets not in bears.especially a secular bear. You generally have a chance to get out of bear markets several times. Bull markets end quietly not on quick flush outs with the media screaming and market mavens coming out of hibernation telling you how smart they are. The market talks to you ... you just have to listen.

Post removed:
by user
AggieFrog
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

drill4oil78 said:

Agree it just takes timing one big bull/bear cycle and deploying lots of capital near the bottom and you can be set for life.
Or you can just patiently save and invest and let your investments and time work for you. I'm well along that path. Not as sexy, but less risky and more likely to work.
WestTexAg12
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

WestTexAg12 said:

WestTexAg12 - did you get that second house purchased?

I did. I haven't closed yet, but have the offer accepted and the loan locked in. I wish I would have had a sooner closing date because I got locked in to a .25% higher rate, but whatever.

Thanks for all the advice.
bigtruckguy3500
I just wanted to say I'm sorry guys. I made some big purchases in my IRA account on Monday, and as usuall, just lost a decent chunk of change in the process. I guess it affected everyone because I decided to buy some broad ETFs, including foreign ETFs.

I do anticipate buying some more in the next week or two, depending on the direction the market is at the time. You've been warned.
pfo
AG
It will absolutely be ok. Remember it's not market timing but time in the market that's important. Stocks are your best bet for building long term wealth as compared to cash or bonds.

Be thankful your life's savings isn't in cash. A 1971 US dollar's purchasing power today will buy you about a nickel's worth of goods.
pfo
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

I moved $75,000 cash into the market 15 days ago. Dumbest thing I've done in years.

Mike, if you graduated in 96 it won't matter one bit. The $75,000 you put to work two weeks ago will end up being one of the best things you have done in years.

Google the investment experiment where the guy invested his retirement money the day before the worst market correction of each year...... every single year. In 40 years his total return was only slightly less than the man who invested on the best day to invest each year.
drill4oil78
AG
Wrighty said:

drill4oil78 said:

Been invested in the market longer than most on this board and studied market movements since WWII and I am doing just fine. In fact I am having a decent time considering I am retired early in my life. History tends to repeat itself and it is those that do not learn from history are the ones that fail. You have to recognize the long term trends and stay with those trends until failure occurs then escape once you recognize the reversal. There is one thing history does tell us and that is the market is up more than down, but those big down moves that can last a year or two takes 4-5 times as long to make up that loss if you hold. If a market is down 50% it takes a 100% move to get back to that original point the drop started. You can never time the exact bottom or top but you can recognize what long term trend you want to be in or out for the majority of that time.

TriAg2010
AG
drill4oil78 said:

Wrighty said:

drill4oil78 said:

Been invested in the market longer than most on this board and studied market movements since WWII and I am doing just fine. In fact I am having a decent time considering I am retired early in my life. History tends to repeat itself and it is those that do not learn from history are the ones that fail. You have to recognize the long term trends and stay with those trends until failure occurs then escape once you recognize the reversal. There is one thing history does tell us and that is the market is up more than down, but those big down moves that can last a year or two takes 4-5 times as long to make up that loss if you hold. If a market is down 50% it takes a 100% move to get back to that original point the drop started. You can never time the exact bottom or top but you can recognize what long term trend you want to be in or out for the majority of that time.

No, you can't even do that. The dustbin of history is littered with experts who claimed a bear was looming while markets continued growing for years.

The long-term return of the U.S. stock market is approximately 10% including every bear market. That's a great return. Nobody is going to be "killed" by a 10% return. And yet, most individual investors experience below-market returns precisely because they make foolish choices like pick single stocks and play market timing games.

You have no special information. You have no market advantage. The phrase "secular bear" is nonsense. If you control your investment costs and stay in the market, then you will be rich.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.