Business & Investing
Sponsored by

USAA Roth IRA Mutual Funds?

2,268 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coop214
Allen Gamble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a Target Date Fund of 2055.

Any suggestions of which would be optimal?

I'm 26 and single.
fourth deck
AG
Why USAA? They do some things well but I don't think mutual funds are one of them. Would look for cheaper/better performers from Vanguard, Fidelity, or T. Rowe Price.
62strat
AG
It's a mutual fund with a target date 40 years away.. I'd imagine just about anything you pick, assuming you hold, will be pretty darn close in terms of return.
aggie_fan13
AG
URSIX
some men you just cant reach ...
khkman22
AG
Fidelity has no fee mutual fund options through USAA. I would at least look at those before going with a USAA fund.
TriAg2010
AG
62strat said:

It's a mutual fund with a target date 40 years away.. I'd imagine just about anything you pick, assuming you hold, will be pretty darn close in terms of return.

The portfolio composition looks roughly equivalent. The fees are the kicker. I agree completely with fourth deck that USAA has great banking and insurance products, but their mutual fund fees are high compared to Fidelity or Vanguard.

Comparison of Target 2060 funds:
USAA / URSIX expense ratio = 0.86%
Vanguard / VTTSX expense ratio = 0.15%
Fidelity / FDKLX expense ratio = 0.15%

That's about $7 per $1000 every year. That **** adds up. If you're stashing away $2,500 per year in a Roth account, the URSIX investor likely has $60,000 less after 40 years. Yikes!
aggie_fan13
AG
So what youre saying is im a moron for investing in the usaa , when i shouldve done vanguard ? what is the minimum amount required for vanguard ?
brownbrick
AG
Typically $3000.
aggie_fan13
AG
yea at the time i only had about $650 so...
WestTexAg12
AG
Just open a Vanguard and transfer your Roth. It just takes a form that you fill out and mail in. That's what I'm in the process of doing. I've got a Brokerage with Vanguard currently.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
TriAg2010
AG
azulAg said:

So what youre saying is im a moron for investing in the usaa , when i shouldve done vanguard ? what is the minimum amount required for vanguard ?

Your words, not mine.

If you hold the USAA fund, then I would absolutely look at lower-cost alternatives. High expenses ratios devour mutual fund returns*. The fact that USAA is silent about fees in their marketing materials says a lot.

I have been totally happy with the accounts I've held at both Fidelity and Vanguard. I believe the account minimum at Vanguard is $3,000. I'm not sure about Fidelity.

* Usual dumb caveat that I'm not an investment advisor and that basic mathematical fact is not investment advice.
aggie_fan13
AG
i need to save a bit more then, no more bar money for a while
TriAg2010
AG
Keep it up, you'll get there.
aggiegolf86
AG
I have part of my Roth through USAA and part through Edward jones. If I were going to transfer those funds to a vanguard fund what would someone recommend?

I am 31 and max out my roth and 401k now.
Rydyn
AG
khkman22 said:

Fidelity has no fee mutual fund options through USAA. I would at least look at those before going with a USAA fund.
This. And if you stick to the ETF (e.g. VXUS) versions of the Vanguard funds, it's only $6.95 (or $8.95...something like that for the trade).

Avoid trading mutual funds (e.g. VGTSX) in the USAA IRA. It costs $75 per trade now. I think that they have a deal with some fund families but it doesn't appear that includes Vanguard.
COAg15
AG
Just starting this process too, but through Fidelity. Scary world out there. 25 in a relationship, but not married. I've found that I can find some comfort through these dips knowing I won't touch it for so long.

Trying to push 600/month into something
Ragoo
AG
Why target date?

I buy fcntx through a fidelity Roth. Began pushing $5500/12 per each month. Set it as an automatic contribution from your checking account. Build it into your monthly cash flow as a required expense. Go back and adjust when you kick ass so hard in industry that your income forces you to do a back door ira to Roth conversion at the full 5500/year.
coop214
AG
Open a account with Betterment. Website is easy to use and will guide you to correct market allocation you need based on your age. The fees are also very reasonable and the min contribution is $100.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.