Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Need a 2nd/ backup credit card

1,597 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by permabull
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to get a second backup credit card.

Already have a Visa. Want to get something else for international travel and to have as a backup.

Would like something with no annual fee and no international fees

Any recommendations? Don't care about interest rates as I never carry a balance.
permabull
AG
harge57
AG
Looking for something that is not a Visa.
IrishTxAggie
AG
harge57 said:

Just curious, but why do you care if it is another Visa?
fourth deck
AG
The AMEX Hilton Honors card is dropping foreign transactions fees starting in January.
Diggity
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

harge57 said:

One word... diversification
Petrino1
IrishTxAggie said:

harge57 said:

In the rare event that a place does not accept Visa (especially overseas), it is always good to have a backup card from another company like MasterCard or AMEX because they will probably accept one of those cards instead.
Diggity
AG
I've never encountered a place that would accept visa not mastercard (or vice versa) here or abroad. The odds of them accepting American Express in lieu of those is even smaller since they have higher transaction fees.

About the only exception is places like Costco that have exclusive relationships.
Petrino1
Diggity said:

I've never encountered a place that would accept visa not mastercard (or vice versa) here or abroad. The odds of them accepting American Express in lieu of those is even smaller since they have higher transaction fees.

About the only exception is places like Costco that have exclusive relationships.
Agreed, thats why I said in the RARE event that a place doesnt accept Visa. Better to be safe than sorry.
harge57
AG
Ended up getting an HSBC Mastercard. No international fees, no annual fee.
Diggity
AG
To each their own. I wouldn't carry an extra card for such a rare event though. I would pay cash or go somewhere else.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Diggity said:

Even Costco is now Visa.
IrishTxAggie
AG
You lost me at the no fee thing. All of my cards have fees and more than pay for themselves given the perks and rewards. I do thoroughly enjoy my AMEX Platinum and the 5X on travel
Aggiemike96
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MasterCard transactions processed by Visa? Therefore, they're basically the same?
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

AMEX Platinum and the 5X on travel
If I traveled for work like I used to, I would pop on this one, but I don't so cannot justify the $450 fee

permabull
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.