Business & Investing
Sponsored by

When do you take profits?

1,683 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamutaylor12
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting to the point that I'd like to take some profits, but I don't want to miss out. Plus, since this is retirement funds, I'll just reinvest in something else. What's the strategy here?
pacecar02
That's an individual decision.

What are you trading? What were your expectations initially? What are your expectations on the underlying next month, quarter, year?

Do you see more value in moving into another underlying or at least shifting profits to something else?
halfastros81
AG
How close to retirement are you and what % do you have invested in the us stock
Market?
Bonfire1996
AG
Set a stop loss at certain places on certain stocks. Have your next move identified.
Cancelled
AG
halfastros81 said:

How close to retirement are you and what % do you have invested in the us stock
Market?

Probably 25 years. I've most of my $$ ties up in mutual funds, index fund, stocks and real estate.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Don't take profits, per so. Just continue to re-balance as necessary.
Rydyn
AG
Pre-tax 401k? You can't take profits. It all rolls forward with all taxes due at withdrawal. Put your low gain / high income stuff in there and take advantage of it. But you'll have to pay the taxes...just deferred.
Cancelled
AG
I didn't mean withdraw from the ira..I meant selling profitable stocks. My bad.
tamutaylor12
Taking profits this far from retirement seems like trying to time the market to me. I would continue to DCA and gradually shift towards less risky investments starting in about 15 years. There will be a lot of ups and downs over that time period.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.