Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Resume Template?

2,222 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by CLB2008
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a "go-to" template these days? I realized I need to polish up my resume (by polish, I mean produce from scratch for the first time in 10+ years).
IrishTxAggie
AG
Don't use a template. They're obvious and recruiters, hiring managers, HR, etc. can tell right off the bat.
HeightsAg
Wrong, do use a template as hiring managers are used to seeing information organized in a similar order/manner. When I am screening resumes, if I can't find what I am looking for in a few seconds, I move on. The link below provides a good and safe starting point.

https://resumegenius.com/resume-templates/basic-templates#classic-resume-templates

Also, remember to order your bullet points from most impressive to least and when possible, employ the STAR model and quantify your results.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Everyone I've ever come across that deals with resumes has been very forward about how templates can give off the impression of being lazy.
diehard03
Yall are talking about 2 different things. There are ways to use a template and not be lazy, and there are ways to be organized in your presentation and not use a template.
NoahAg
Maybe template was the wrong word. How about format? Is limiting to just one page still the standard?
ORAggieFan
NoahAg said:

Maybe template was the wrong word. How about format? Is limiting to just one page still the standard?
No, unless you have minimal work history. But, go over three and I'm not reading it. My pref is 1.5-2.
Football&Finance
AG
NoahAg said:

Yes: one page or you've written way too much about your job from 15yrs ago that no one cares about (unless, you're ORAggieFan, who is apparently a glutton for the life stories of randos).

You're most likely getting the interview because of the skills demonstrated/goals achieved in the last 5 years, or because someone on the inside made a warm hand-off. In the interviews you can talk about how that project from 17yrs ago is applicable somehow today, if you really really believe it does.
The Wonderer
AG
I described work history for previous five years and then just listed employers and titles past that.
ORAggieFan
Mainly, I want to be able to have an idea of overall how experienced this person is and how they got their start. I don't need details about that entry level job, but having an idea if they've always been in the industry or when that transition happened is valuable.

I read about 10% of a resume. I let the recruiters bother with the details.
double b
AG
I've seen a lot folks rave about this guy. A solid resume can pay for itself many times over.

http://www.jamespshelley.com/
IrishTxAggie
AG
Plenty of the people on the job networks board say otherwise.
double b
AG
I've seen the comments since then, and yes, that post is over six years old. Today, I wouldn't recommend based on the additional information I've read.
CLB2008
AG
Happy to help
clbresumeservices.com

Have helped a few others on TA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.