Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Overheard a MLM pitch last night...

8,539 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Strategy
TwoMarksHand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I went to IHOP last night (our two kids eat free on Tuesday...wohoo financial independence here I come!) and I'm pretty sure the guys next to me were getting pitched for a MLM. The main guy that was doing all the talking was dressed nice and presenting to a couple of other guys. He started out by explaining what the stock market was...then went on and on about how much money they raised when it IPOed. Then explained about how they trade money for information and leads, not products. It also had something to do with education and teaching.
It was tough to listen in and get the details, because the kids started getting out of hand and we left.

What surprised me was that normally when I think of MLM pitchers, I imagine them as younger people that get swooned by "get rich quick". But these guys were in their 50s.
wheelskjm
AG
There's a customer of mine that always tries to invite my employees to coffee for an opportunity that partners with Google amazon ebay and facebook.

They sit down and he pitches amway. He's also a whiny 60/65 yr old pos.
Cancelled
AG
I would have asked "if you're so successful, why are we doing this in an IHOP, not your office."

I wonder when the first crypto currency mlm comes out.
coolerguy12
AG
I heard a new one over thanksgiving that blew my mind. You pay $1400 in right now and then you recruit two people and they each recruit 2 people. Once that happens you get $11,000. He said they claim that most people are paid within 3-4 months.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the numbers correctly but either way it sounded like the biggest scam ever. Guy claimed that it works because people buy back in when they get paid so you don't run out of people to supply it.
wheelskjm
AG
Bitconnect.
tysker
AG
Quote:

What surprised me was that normally when I think of MLM pitchers, I imagine them as younger people that get swooned by "get rich quick". But these guys were in their 50s.
Many late boomers and early Gen-Xers are looking at a majorly underfunded retirement and are searching for anything to help to 'catch-up' on their savings.
TxAg20
AG
queso1 said:

I would have asked "if you're so successful, why are we doing this in an IHOP, not your office."

I would give 2 stars if you made this 2 separate posts.

I'm not sure how nice IHOP is in the OP's neck of the woods, but it ranks just above or below a truck stop in west Texas, depending on the age of the truck stop. Maybe a good place for drug business deals, but not anything legitimate.
tysker
AG
TxAg20 said:

queso1 said:

I would give 2 stars if you made this 2 separate posts.

I'm not sure how nice IHOP is in the OP's neck of the woods, but it ranks just above or below a truck stop in west Texas, depending on the age of the truck stop. Maybe a good place for drug business deals, but not anything legitimate.
To be fair, with laptops, cell phones, and the ability to outsource administrative support, office space can simply be a waste of money. How many of us would rather work from IHOP all day?
TxAg20
AG
I would not like to work from IHOP. I would not like to participate in an MLM business either. However, if you want to pitch me something and you don't have an office (which is completely acceptable and understandable), come pitch it at my office or find someplace better than IHOP. Someplace like your living room or a decent bar.
tysker
AG
I'd prefer a bar as well but stay outta my house. Any good salesman knows his customer and adjusts accordingly.
wheelskjm
AG
Troof.
lazuras_dc
AG
Had a relative give an MLM pitch over thanksgiving- main selling point is that Phil Knight is an investor.
bmks270
AG
Crypto MLM... sign up more miners below you and you will get some of their mining payouts.... coming soon.
tysker
AG
bmks270 said:

Crypto MLM... sign up more miners below you and you will get some of their mining payouts.... coming soon.
So only UTEP grads should apply?
handle234
Quote:

I feel like I keep making the mistake of believing that old people are necessarily smarter than me (I'm 35). They are just people, who are capable of the same dumb mistakes as anyone else.

Recently had a 3 month engagement with a former Air Force pilot, and I thought because he was military and older, he would have a lot of wisdom. I was badly mistaken. Would never work with him again. Felt bad because of how dumb he was, had to re-evaluate how I was choosing partners.

Same goes with people who have money.

I think the hard thing is not letting first impressions get you, but making sure you do a little testing to see if they are smart/capable or not.
Strategy
AG
Only pyramid scheme all you ******rs are in is your jobs.

Network marketing works.

The only variable is you.

You obviously couldn't build a massive independent sales team, lead, train, and develop them to success. So you sit there and pop off while you are eating at iHop.

Ok.

sts7049
AG
the best business deals are done over a rooty tooty fresh and fruity
TwoMarksHand
AG
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

Network marketing works.

You obviously couldn't build a massive independent sales team, lead, train, and develop them to success. So you sit there and pop off while you are eating at iHop.

Ok.

Good god, I hope this is sarcasm.
Ed Carter
AG
The only variable is " if you happen to be one of the first people, otherwise it's almost mathematically impossible to succeed". FIFY

Are people so dumb to not read the income disclosure statements of these companies? Almost all of them show that well over 99% of people doing this don't even make over $15,000 a year. Upwards of 96% usually don't even make more than a few thousand dollars and the vast majority of people doing it either lose money or maybe make $1000. It is such a joke and a great way to lose friends.

Of course this is all assuming your statement wasn't an epic troll
TwoMarksHand
AG
Agreed...also I love your call-in sports updates.
Ed Carter
AG
Indeed
NoHo Hank
AG
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

Network marketing works.

Ok.

Bet my pyramid scheme pays better than yours. Also, doesn't require me to defy simple mathematics in order to afford lunch.
double aught
AG
This thread should be pretty good.
Cancelled
AG
Ha ha ha! So now it's "network marketing". I guess people caught onto "multilevel marketing."
Strategy
AG

double aught
AG
That's just sad.
Cancelled
AG
I want to know one thing. Does anyone know anyone that has actually made sustainable income through an MLM? I'm not talking about the people at the top. I'm talking about your ordinary Joe. I would say that every single person that I know that started one ended up with less money.
Strategy
AG
queso1 said:

I want to know one thing. Does anyone know anyone that has actually made sustainable income through an MLM? I'm not talking about the people at the top. I'm talking about your ordinary Joe. I would say that every single person that I know that started one ended up with less money.

What can I do for you my good man?
Ed Carter
AG
While on this topic, I highly recommend the documentary "betting on zero" which is about a hedge fund manager that has taken a billion dollar short position against Herbalife because he's so convinced it's going to fail, because....wait for it....it's a pyramid scheme. Pretty fascinating documentary.

On the flip side though, generally people are pretty stupid so I'm sure Herbalife continues to grow
Cancelled
AG
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

queso1 said:

What can I do for you my good man?

Tell us your story.
cjo03
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Had a relative give an MLM pitch over thanksgiving- main selling point is that Phil Knight is an investor.

Which one is this? PK is relevant to my interests...
bmks270
AG
Do the pyramid bottoms not realize they can buy anything wholesale and resell it? Why do they get suckered into these pyramids? If they want to "work for themselves" they can find almost any product and supplier and try to begin selling.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
queso1 said:

Unfortunately yes.. They started that Kyani crap nowhere near the beginning of its creation and needless to say they aren't struggling.
BoDog
AG
The Phil Knight thing is PURE. I've been hounded about it lately. I know its health supplements, but beyond that I have no clue what it entails...
Ed Carter
AG
Define "aren't struggling"

A quick look at Kyani's income disclosure statement says that only .23% of distributors make an average of $7400/month. That's double the next level of only .46% making $3500/month. Below that the income becomes laughable. And this is a one year snapshot. I would be curious how many people get to a high level and stay there year in year out.

At those odds, it becomes even more difficult to get there if you weren't in early on. Not impossible, but nearly impossible. So are your friends above the top .23% of people doing it?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.