Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The truth about Tulips

1,854 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by administrative errors
wheelskjm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a lot of tulip mania experts on this board I've found out. Here's what reality shows about this time in Dutch history.

Source:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/there-never-was-real-tulip-fever-180964915/

Quote:

Originally found growing wild in the valleys of the Tien Shan Mountains (at the border where China and Tibet meet Afghanistan and Russia), tulips were cultivated in Istanbul as early as 1055. By the 15th century, Sultan Mehmed II of the Ottoman Empire had so many flowers in his 12 gardens that he required a staff of 920 gardeners. Tulips were among the most prized flowers, eventually becoming a symbol of the Ottomans, writes gardening correspondent for The Independent Anna Pavord in The Tulip.

The Dutch learned that tulips could be grown from seeds or buds that grew on the mother bulb; a bulb that grows from seed would take 7 to 12 years before flowering, but a bulb itself could flower the very next year. Of particular interest to Clusius and other tulip traders were "broken bulbs"tulips whose petals showed a striped, multicolor pattern rather than a single solid color. The effect was unpredictable, but the growing demand for these rare, "broken bulb" tulips led naturalists to study ways to reproduce them. (The pattern was later discovered to be the result of a mosaic virus that actually makes the bulbs sickly and less likely to reproduce.) "The high market price for tulips to which the current version of tulipmania refers were prices for particularly beautiful broken bulbs," writes economist Peter Garber. "Since breaking was unpredictable, some have characterized tulipmania among growers as a gamble, with growers vying to produce better and more bizarre variegations and feathering."

After all the money Dutch speculators spent on the bulbs, they only produced flowers for about a weekbut for tulip lovers, that week was a glorious one. "As luxury objects, tulips fit well into a culture of both abundant capital and new cosmopolitanism," Goldgar writes. Tulips required expertise, an appreciation of beauty and the exotic, and, of course, an abundance of money.

Here's where the myth comes into play. According to popular legend, the tulip craze took hold of all levels of Dutch society in the 1630s. "The rage among the Dutch to possess them was so great that the ordinary industry of the country was neglected, and the population, even to its lowest dregs, embarked in the tulip trade," wrote Scottish journalist Charles Mackay in his popular 1841 work Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. According to this narrative, everyone from the wealthiest merchants to the poorest chimney sweeps jumped into the tulip fray, buying bulbs at high prices and selling them for even more. Companies formed just to deal with the tulip trade, which reached a fever pitch in late 1636. But by February 1637, the bottom fell out of the market. More and more people defaulted on their agreement to buy the tulips at the prices they'd promised, and the traders who had already made their payments were left in debt or bankrupted. At least that's what has always been claimed.

In fact, "There weren't that many people involved and the economic repercussions were pretty minor," Goldgar says. "I couldn't find anybody that went bankrupt. If there had been really a wholesale destruction of the economy as the myth suggests, that would've been a much harder thing to face."

That's not to say that everything about the story is wrong; merchants really did engage in a frantic tulip trade, and they paid incredibly high prices for some bulbs. And when a number of buyers announced they couldn't pay the high price previously agreed upon, the market did fall apart and cause a small crisisbut only because it undermined social expectations.

"In this case it was very difficult to deal with the fact that almost all of your relationships are based on trust, and people said, 'I don't care that I said I'm going to buy this thing, I don't want it anymore and I'm not going to pay for it.' There was really no mechanism to make people pay because the courts were unwilling to get involved," Goldgar says.

But the trade didn't affect all levels of society, and it didn't cause the collapse of industry in Amsterdam and elsewhere. As Garber, the economist, writes, "While the lack of data precludes a solid conclusion, the results of the study indicate that the bulb speculation was not obvious madness."

So if tulipmania wasn't actually a calamity, why was it made out to be one? We have tetchy Christian moralists to blame for that. With great wealth comes great social anxiety, or as historian Simon Schama writes in The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age, "The prodigious quality of their success went to their heads, but it also made them a bit queasy." All the outlandish stories of economic ruin, of an innocent sailor thrown in prison for eating a tulip bulb, of chimney sweeps wading into the market in hopes of striking it richthose come from propaganda pamphlets published by Dutch Calvinists worried that the tulip-propelled consumerism boom would lead to societal decay. Their insistence that such great wealth was ungodly has even stayed with us to this day.

"Some of the stuff hasn't lasted, like the idea that God punishes people who are overreaching by causing them to have the plague. That's one of the things people said in the 1630s," Goldgar says. "But the idea that you get punished if you overreach? You still hear that. It's all, 'pride goes before the fall.'"

Goldgar doesn't begrudge novelists and filmmakers for taking liberties with the past. It's only when historians and economists neglect to do their research that she gets irked. She herself didn't set out to be a mythbustershe only stumbled upon the truth when she sat down to look through old documentation of the popular legend. "I had no way of knowing this existed before I started reading these documents," Goldgar says. "That was an unexpected treasure."

This isn't a bitcoin thread. This is a history of business myths thread.
Foamcows
AG
another bitcoin thread?
Foamcows
AG
bitcoin people are like the cross-fitters of the finance world
TxAg20
AG
How much have you made on Bitcoin, MTM-wise?
Football&Finance
AG
this seems to be refuting an assertion I've never heard made: that Tulip Mania is equated with massive destruction or dislocation of the Dutch economy.

I've only ever heard Tulip Mania invoked when referring to market bubbles, and I believe it is still considered the all-time greatest bubble in recorded history when adjusted for inflation.
administrative errors
Bump.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.